BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/20/2015 4:46:32 PM EDT
and lawn mowers 6 pages and nothing about them as pets

We now have 2 black/white spotted pygmies (8 weeks) and a 10 week old Pygmy/nubian  mix black/white and brown...

We looked for bottle babies, no luck for decent price

Picked up the Male weathered guys yesterday and banded them before loading them into truck for ride home

They are scared still and the little ones want to check us out, except the big step brother is an asshole and won't let them play with use yet

Goal is to win the big one over
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#1]
In for the goat tacos.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#2]
and you an eat them
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I do not want to be part of the ARF curse...so they get names and no eating them (unless we are running from FEMA train loaders)
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope that you thought about their fondness for climbing up everything.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

actually yes remember the game q*bert

that will be this weekends project for the front yard

and pictures to follow

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#6]
some people have them just for sex
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
some people have them just for sex
View Quote

some could think of them as bait

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a snake that will grow up big enough to eat one... whole.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:34:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a snake that will grow up big enough to eat one... whole.
View Quote

yeah, when he is like 15 years old goats will be gone by then
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Wrestling match at the mineral block

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 11:17:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Goats in trees

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 4:23:39 PM EDT
[#12]
We're thinking about doing something like this in the near future too. Tag for more results.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 5:11:23 PM EDT
[#13]
far right is mordachai (8 weeks) then Moonbeam (12 weeks) and Aindreas (8 weeks)

actually got to feed mordachai, I named this one, he is wearing a kippa  

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Awesome pic.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

They also tend to eat anything and everything.  Tree bark for example...
We had to help out two of ours who repeatedly got their heads stuck in the fence and almost drowned when it rained.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#16]
a few pictures of the playground I am building

I hope to get them painted this weekend

I had to support the bridge in the middle because they were jumping off the tallest barrel and landing on the bridge, which would toss the one one the bridge about 2 feet into the air and then they would crash into the ground (broken bones would be $$$$

Before the ETA, my yard, my goats, my rules
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Goat playground = cool!
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I do not want to be part of the ARF curse...so they get names and no eating them (unless we are running from FEMA train loaders)
View Quote

Well... They do have cloven hoofs and chew the cud...
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:12:25 PM EDT
[#20]
More pics! More goat pics! Goats playing on the playground pics!

Thanks OP, you made my day!
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Your welcome...they are actually fun

We will work on that this weekend, they just got done playing, amazing and funny to watch...must have video
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:00:13 AM EDT
[#22]
goats playing

hope it works
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Very cool. Im considering a couple goats on the property im getting. How much room do you have? how much room do they need?
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I am too new to this to properly answer that, their main lot is 25x50 or so with a dog house, 8x8 winter stall/bed area and a 6x8 for feeding

and then the front yard is 100 x 100 x 150 x about 80 (try that geometry)

we also have between 5 and 15 acres for them (depending where the cows are)

remember they are not lawn mowers and need to eat up with neck extended (sheep will mow your lawn though)

The goat spot dot net and goat world dot com are good resources

We have pygmy and pygmy/nubian they stay fairly small 30/50 pounds...now!!! real goats can get to 150+ lbs I saw a 280 # buck that stood above my head while standing on the fence...he was scary
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 9:16:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I am too new to this to properly answer that, their main lot is 25x50 or so with a dog house, 8x8 winter stall/bed area and a 6x8 for feeding

remember they are not lawn mowers and need to eat up with neck extended (sheep will mow your lawn though)

We have pygmy and pygmy/nubian they stay fairly small 30/50 pounds...now!!! real goats can get to 150+ lbs I saw a 280 # buck that stood above my head while standing on the fence...he was scary
View Quote

.....I thought that was an ISIS dating site
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#28]
In other news... I didn't think I would ever be following a "goats as pets" thread on arfcom... However, with our upcoming move, my wife really wants some goats, and I wouldn't mind some minor landscaping help from the critters. Plus they're Jew goats! lol.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#29]
My GF had goats for a while.  They eat everything except what you want them too, including windshield wipers...
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Very cool. Im considering a couple goats on the property im getting. How much room do you have? how much room do they need?
View Quote
Standard size goats on GOOD ground can be 6 goats an acre, but goats are healthier when they browse one area for a while then move on to the next.  (Goats browse, cattle graze.  Graze = eat grass.  Browse = eat broadleaf and woody plants.  You rotate pasture with cows to let the grass recover.  You rotate pasture with goats to keep the goats healthy)

Feeding supplemental grain, and if you are willing to run the risk of internal parasites, you could probably put 6 goats on half that.  It depends on the quality of food on the pasture as well, even if feeding grain too.

Also remember that goats are social animals, you want at least 3.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#31]
akodo good info

also to add do not mix horned and de-horned goats together they can get hurt w/o horns
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:47:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Standard size goats on GOOD ground can be 6 goats an acre, but goats are healthier when they browse one area for a while then move on to the next.  (Goats browse, cattle graze.  Graze = eat grass.  Browse = eat broadleaf and woody plants.  You rotate pasture with cows to let the grass recover.  You rotate pasture with goats to keep the goats healthy)  

Feeding supplemental grain, and if you are willing to run the risk of internal parasites, you could probably put 6 goats on half that.  It depends on the quality of food on the pasture as well, even if feeding grain too.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good info, thanks..Ill be on 10acres, some hilly. hoping to get it all fenced or the majority of it before doing the goat thing.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:56:35 AM EDT
[#33]
We went on a field trip this weekend

Saturday evening Vol. Fire dept was having a BBQ plate dinner/pig roast

So we set off with Andrious on my lap, with a small container of treats (just in case)

He walked awesome and he had a great time, he got lots of attention from the girls , and it really freaked people out to see a goat walking around

then we went to Pawpaws house to visit, (granmaw actually let him in )

I kept him on the wood floor and only had a slight...ugh...waterfall, which I quickly wiped up with the towel

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#34]
I, pet goat II....google it, watch it, learn from it
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:58:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I, pet goat II....google it, watch it, learn from it
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#36]
working on barn build, damn helper kept going for my beer

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
a few pictures of the playground I am building
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u182/turtlemechanic/Mobile%20Uploads/20150728_190220_zps7hmonpen.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u182/turtlemechanic/Beginner%20goating/20150821_174614_zpskh5nvgab.jpg

I hope to get them painted this weekend

I had to support the bridge in the middle because they were jumping off the tallest barrel and landing on the bridge, which would toss the one one the bridge about 2 feet into the air and then they would crash into the ground (broken bones would be $$$$

Before the ETA, my yard, my goats, my rules
View Quote

Your fence isn't tall enough.  Trust me.  It isn't tall enough.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:09:21 PM EDT
[#38]
fingers crossed they are about full size now, and the fence has a bite to it

it's to high for them to jump and if they climb it, it hurts when the get to wire about 4/6 inches above fence

also it seems to help if you can keep them occupied with crap to play with, also helps to not have distraction outside of fence (so people say...we will see)

worst case is more wire added
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
fingers crossed they are about full size now, and the fence has a bite to it

it's to high for them to jump and if they climb it, it hurts when the get to wire about 4/6 inches above fence

also it seems to help if you can keep them occupied with crap to play with, also helps to not have distraction outside of fence (so people say...we will see)

worst case is more wire added
View Quote

That's what we thought...
That's what we thought...

Hopefully you will have better luck.  Or you don't have any neighbors with fancy flowers...  

FTR, goats are awesome.  Especially the little ones.  It cracks me up that their ass-end is always a little bit faster than the front-end when they are running around.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#40]
COOL, luckily they are in the middle of nowhere and and can't see flowers or anything different than what they have to eat...fingers still crossed it's only been 5 months, and now winter approaches
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#41]
field trips with my goat
Okay so went to the park yesterday while taking a break from goat house work
Had fun

While we were there a guy comes up; pets goat and says "what if a dog attacks him at the park?"

"Ugh I would pick him up and defend us"
" what?"
"Ugh, I would shoot the dog if it was a threat"

"Dude it's only a goat"

"Well fuck the dog and owner who didn't obey the leash law, and fuck you leave us alone"

A pet and family member is just that.....doesn't matter what your friend is...goog lord, sounds racist now

Anyways we had fun a thanks for park gun carry

Link Posted: 10/28/2015 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Cool goats OP, they are pretty amusing to have around. That goat playground is awesome.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 10:31:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Good for you OP, i now have 7 nigerian dwarf goats and they are the bomb.  Three females that are about a year and four babies we got this past weekend.

Link Posted: 10/30/2015 9:27:50 PM EDT
[#45]
any pics of the young-ins.... you can not screw up "cute" pics of goat babies

baby kittahs are cute, puppies...sure...even possums are "cute' BUT........... KIDS will make you laugh faster as they bounce around sideways and backwards like they are on crack

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 3:26:29 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

any pics of the young-ins.... you can not screw up "cute" pics of goat babies

baby kittahs are cute, puppies...sure...even possums are "cute' BUT........... KIDS will make you laugh faster as they bounce around sideways and backwards like they are on crack
View Quote
I will grab some tomorrow.  They are dinky, only about a lb each is my guess.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Been raining but the wife had taken a pic earlier in the week

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:11:58 PM EDT
[#48]
cute...
thanks

hahahaha wife may want gps coordinates now
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 6:40:25 PM EDT
[#49]
okay off work early and came home to a field full of cows and donkeys..they were all curious about each other....wow goats are quick and tough...

I watched my little guy; Andrious attempt a 10 foot jump ...he is only 21 inches tall with little midget legs...how do you think it went .....

, I think my little guy was showing off; kind of like "here hold my beer"

pygmy goat 10 foot jump....kind of

slow motion shows he saved it like supergoat in a skate park

I am disapoint with embed, even with tutorials
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

okay off work early and came home to a field full of cows and donkeys..they were all curious about each other....wow goats are quick and tough...

I watched my little guy; Andrious attempt a 10 foot jump ...he is only 21 inches tall with little midget legs...how do you think it went .....

, I think my little guy was showing off; kind of like "here hold my beer"

pygmy goat 10 foot jump....kind of

slow motion shows he saved it like supergoat in a skate park

I am disapoint with embed, even with tutorials
View Quote
lmao, mine do that too and then they will always look back at the object like it was what jacked them up

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top