Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2015 11:00:49 AM EDT

Anyone have a dog that has it?

I think my wife's new puppy Chihuahua has a liver shunt (~11-12wks old).

We though it may had just been hypoglycemia...but it seems to get a little worse as time goes on.

When we got him, he was playful, now he's kind of weak. Doesn't do much other than sleep. He'll walk for a little bit outside.

This past Tuesday, he started having seizures. That Monday night, we wasn't too thrilled to eat. I assume his blood sugar got low and cause the seizures (4 or 5 of them).

Went to the emergency vet and they have him an IV for sugar. The said they found coccidia via float test.

Went to my vet afterwards when they opened. The couldn't find coccidia via smear test. He gave him a treatment for the parasite.

He gave us some a/d food and we have to feed him every 2 hours via syringe (He still has no appetite).

Went to recheck with the vet yesterday and he told us we can start feeding him every 4 hours. At the 3.5 hour mark, he started to show signs of low blood sugar and looked like he was about to seize shortly.

I shoved some food and honey down him and he slowly regained consciousness. Took him to the emergency clinic and they did a blood panel.

Even after feeding him every 2 hours, day and night for 3 days straight, his protein count was low, his red blood cell count was low, and even after all that feeding and shoving honey in him ~20 minutes prior, his blood sugar was low.

The emergency vet thinks he may have a liver shunt. Ultimately, if he does have it, it would require surgery. I'm assuming the price is outrageous. We probably can't afford it. We've spent a metric ton this week trying to treat and nurse him. It's not looking good for my wife's dog

This morning, he ate ~2-3 bits of his normal kibble, so that's a plus, as he's had no desire to eat since Sunday.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#1]
You're right about surgery. Buddy of mine did it and it crushed him financially. About $5k. Expensive.

I've heard of some people trying to treat it through special diets, vitamins and supplements although I can't speak to their effectiveness. (Or what it entails specifically)

That being said, might help you to do some research on that angle. There's 100% chance its more affordable, and it could very easily help.

For example, I have had GSDs my whole life and we always give gluclosamine, which helps with joints and hips.

Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#2]

There are some special diets to help detox the blood, however I believe it's more towards animals who aren't showing problems where surgery isn't necessary as they're probably getting adequate nutrition.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#3]
That sucks, I'm a softy for dogs. I had a Chihuahua that recently passed away. He was 12 and we got him when I was in 6th grade.

By far the smartest dog we've ever had. Didn't look like your typical pudgy chihuahua. Very athletic almost like a bit of terrier in him, but very little if any.

I wish you luck and hope he pulls through.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#4]
bile acids test came back a little low, but within normal range.

Doc thinks it could be atypical Addison's disease.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

At 11 to 12 weeks?  That would be a new one to me. I'd consider a cardiovascular workup.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

At 11 to 12 weeks?  That would be a new one to me. I'd consider a cardiovascular workup.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too but anything can happen. How about hydrocephalus?  If it did have a high parasite load that could make it sick enough not to want to eat. Pups that small don't have much reserve.  Also think about distemper

Did they give you any numbers for the bile acids test? A little low doesn't really make sense. It's either normal or high.  If it's really in the normal range then. It's ruled out as a cause.

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Me too but anything can happen. How about hydrocephalus?  If it did have a high parasite load that could make it sick enough not to want to eat. Pups that small don't have much reserve.  Also think about distemper
Did they give you any numbers for the bile acids test? A little low doesn't really make sense. It's either normal or high.  If it's really in the normal range the. It's ruled out as a cause.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Did they give you any numbers for the bile acids test? A little low doesn't really make sense. It's either normal or high.  If it's really in the normal range the. It's ruled out as a cause.

I think "normal" is around 9. The puppy was about 8 or 8.XX. The Doc was looking for something closer to 100.

The fist 2 vests (our previous vet and the emergency vet) thought it was coccidia at first. The Emergency vet said he was positive on a float test. But our previous vet couldn't see anything on multiple smear samples. Our vet eventually referred us to another vet because he was pretty much out of ideas.

Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top