Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2015 10:24:48 AM EDT
do they all cry a lot?

my 6 months old does.  pretty good dog though, but he does tend to whine/cry for reasons i cant seem to figure out.  

taking him for a walk in the woods daily seems to help.  perhaps he just needs to figure out what his "job" is...
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
do they all cry a lot?

my 6 months old does.  pretty good dog though, but he does tend to whine/cry for reasons i cant seem to figure out.  

taking him for a walk in the woods daily seems to help.  perhaps he just needs to figure out what his "job" is...
View Quote

Oh yes he really should.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:01:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Oh yes he really should.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
do they all cry a lot?

Oh yes he really should.

I'm fostering Emma the Plott hound. YES! She's very vocal. High pitched whines, squeaks, semi muffled yips, moofs, yawaws, rmahrooroos. It's taken me a while to figure out how to speak Plott hound. The toughest one was when she stands next to me and squeaks. Turns out another dog was sitting in her spot.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:38:06 AM EDT
[#3]
The black and  tan my dad had when I was a kid seemed to be a normal dog.

The half red bone, half Walker, hound we have now is fairly quite except when she first sees me.  When I walk out the door to go to the garage she starts barking and making noise.  If I let her out for a walk and to patrol her perimeter she is quiet during the time she's out of the pen, but once she gets back in the pen she starts making all kinds of noise again.

Between the racket and other things I won't have another hound dog.  It'll be back to mutts, or bird dogs for me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Bluetick.  She doesn't bay or bark without reason, but the problem is her and I differ in opinions of what is a reasonable excuse for baying and barking.  

Generally she is a quiet dog, but I live next to a walk path which passes along side the privacy fence of my backyard.  Any time someone walks their dog on the path, she goes nuts.  Aside from that, the only annoying time she barks is when someone is at the door, even briefly like the UPS man.  Other times when she will bark is when I get home from work, or I grab the leash for a walk, or when I crank my atv to load it up on the truck.  (She's knows it time to go play)  

All of this sounds like a lot of barking, but 95% of the time she is curled up in her favorite spot and sleeping like a lazy hound dog.   I once had a Maltese/Poodle mix and that dog drove me insane with it's never ending yapping.  It would even bark in it's sleep.  

Here's a pic of said dag in her favorite place.
" />
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:55:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
do they all cry a lot?

View Quote

I forgot to mention that 6 months is still a baby for these dogs.  When my hound was 6 months, her temperament was very high energy like you would expect from a bird dog, but she also enjoyed her superhero powers of a very loud voice.  Today she is 2 and a half and very mellow.  I also have a Britney and he drives the coonhound crazy with his constant need to play, while she prefers to sleep.  

The best description I've heard for coonhounds is a marathon runner crossed with a couch potato.  It fits perfectly, but you won't see it until they reach roughly 2 years old.  

If your dog is 6 months old, he/she is old enough for a bark collar if you need it.  Don't be afraid to use it, they work.   Also, if you haven't already, get yourself an e-collar and teach her to come when you call.  I trained my dogs to come when I whistle and they will almost always return.  But for those occasions when they don't, the ecollar is like a tap on the shoulder to put their attention back on you.  Just having the ecollar on their neck seems to be enough to make them listen and you'll find you won't even need to use it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the inputs!
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Old thread, but I'm bored and this beats reading GD.  My dog is a little over a year old and is a Walker Coonhound / Beagle mix.  Due to my neck issues, I don't sleep well at night.  I sleep for about an hour or two at a time then wake up in pain and have to reposition.  Spending so much time awake at night has been real interesting.  Daisy makes some the strangest noises at night while laying in her bed in the kitchen floor.  She has an amazing range of soft noises she makes while she is laying in her bed.  A few are so odd that it makes you wonder how the hell a dog could make that noise.

The last photo is one of my favorites because she looks so laid back resting against the gate.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Roscoe, the latest foster.

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Old thread, but I'm bored and this beats reading GD.  My dog is a little over a year old and is a Walker Coonhound / Beagle mix.  Due to my neck issues, I don't sleep well at night.  I sleep for about an hour or two at a time then wake up in pain and have to reposition.  Spending so much time awake at night has been real interesting.  Daisy makes some the strangest noises at night while laying in her bed in the kitchen floor.  She has an amazing range of soft noises she makes while she is laying in her bed.  A few are so odd that it makes you wonder how the hell a dog could make that noise.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/JacknifeColorado/Daisy/IMG_0307_zpseb7f1ded.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/JacknifeColorado/Daisy/IMG_0362_zps93ef6175.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/JacknifeColorado/Daisy/IMG_0352_zps54576fab.jpg
View Quote

Have you tried sleeping with a "Contour memory foam pillow"?  You can buy one at Target for about $30.  I've had surgery for a herniated disc in my neck... twice... and this is the only type of pillow I can use.  I sleep like a baby.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Good looking dog.
View All Quotes

You want him?
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Have you tried sleeping with a "Contour memory foam pillow"?  You can buy one at Target for about $30.  I've had surgery for a herniated disc in my neck... twice... and this is the only type of pillow I can use.  I sleep like a baby.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/JacknifeColorado/Daisy/IMG_0307_zpseb7f1ded.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/JacknifeColorado/Daisy/IMG_0362_zps93ef6175.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/JacknifeColorado/Daisy/IMG_0352_zps54576fab.jpg

Got one from Costco.  I've tried 5 different pillows in the last year.  So far, nothing has helped.  My general doctor gave me I think it was called Ultram or something like that since Motrin stopped working.  If I take one and have a glass of bourbon before bed, it helps a bit.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You want him?
View All Quotes

I'd love to have a playmate for Daisy, but I think I'd need one hell of a dog house for the backyard.  It would have to fit both dogs, a recliner, computer, mini-fridge and ME.

Editing to add:

I might one day be able to convince my wife of a second dog, but I am still working on getting Daisy used to other dogs again.  She has had issues around other dogs since being attacked last summer by a Doberman.

This week is going to be a hell of a week.  Tomorrow marks one year since we brought Daisy home.  Also this week, we will be putting my mom's 14 year old mini dachshund, Missy, to sleep.  Her quality of life is almost gone.  I'm kind of glad that I am working tonight instead of at my parents for Sunday dinner.  Tonight my 5 yr old daughter and 6 yr old niece made good bye cards and gave them to Missy.  That would have been hard to watch.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Aw, sorry about Missy and what happened to Daisy.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:47:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Aw, sorry about Missy and what happened to Daisy.
View Quote

Back around July, my wife and one of her friends had been walking in the mornings after putting my daughter on the bus for the local pre-K program.  That day my wife decided she was going to take Daisy with them to get her some exercise.  I hadn't finished installing the last section of my fence yet, so when outside, Daisy was confined to a 35' lead I hooked to a maple in the yard.  I was at work that the time.  They got about 5 houses down the street when a Doberman starting going nuts inside it's fenced yard.  The owner's daughter (who as about 8) tried to enter the backyard to calm the dog.  As soon as she lifted the latch, the Doberman rammed the gate and knocked the girl out of its way. It started straight for Daisy, who froze in the middle of the road.  My wife almost tried to pick Daisy up, but thought better at the last second.  Where my wife started to pull Daisy close, the Doberman latched on to Daisy's back leg instead of going for her throat.  My wife was in the middle of the road scream for help until the owner came running outside and had to repeatedly punch her dog before being able to pull it free.

Daisy had to have 3 drain tubes, but luckily no follow up surgeries.  She also got fixed and had a umbilical hernia repaired that say day while out to have the tubes done.  The deepest wound was 3" deep.  To watch her run, you would never know anything had happened, but you can see some black scars peaking out of her white fur on the one leg.

I'm supposed to get some parts for my new to me ARE camper shell Wednesday, including the guards so Daisy can't knock my screens out with her nose.  Once I get those installed, I can start putting Daisy in the back of the truck since she won't stay in her seat in the cab.  Then I can start bringing her over to my sister's house to spend some time around her dachsund, Shelby (short for Shelby Cobra).  I hope I can get those two to play nice together because it will be good for both dogs.  Shelby is going to be lost when the put Missy to sleep.  Those two dachsunds spend almost everyday together.  My sister would drop Shelby off at my parents house (like 4 house down in the same neighborhood) so that the two dogs could be together while everyone was at work.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#16]
For a few rare types of hounds (the bloodhound) they were bred with one thing in mind, following a scent trail.

For the vast majority of hounds, they were bred for two purposes, to follow a scent trail, and to bay in different ways so that those following the hounds on horseback or on foot and possibly in the dead of night would know where they were AND what they were doing because they would hopefully bay differently when searching for a trail, a cold trail, a hot trail, animal in sight, animal turning and fighting, or animal went up a tree.

of course there is no gene or set of genes for each of those conditions and what to bay.  What exists is a more general breeding toward hounds that were #1 prone to be vocal and #2 prone to be variable and expressive with their noise making.

No one who owns a hound or hound mix should be surprised when their dog makes all sorts of funny noises, any more than someone who has a labrador should be surprised when their dog likes water.  There are a few individual hounds that are quiet, and there are a few labs that dislike swimming, but they are the rarity.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top