Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2015 6:56:14 PM EDT
Murray has had his picture here many times over the years.  
We took Murray to the Vet today for the final time.  He had been having
arthritis problems for the last few years, but lately it had progressed
rapidly, and he fell more than he walked.  He always slept in bed with
us, but two years ago he began to be unable to jump in bed, and that's
when we knew he had a problem.
We tried drugs, injections, and even some exercises, but nothing worked.
  The last few weeks he's rarely moved except when we got him up to go
outside.
He spent 17 years with us, saw our kids finish college and begin to have
kids of their own.  He loved it when our grand kids came over.  Someone
to play chase the ball with.
He kept my wife company and protected her when the I was working late
hours.  He gave some life back to Daisy, the dog we had when we got
Murray.  I think he gave her another year of life just by annoying the
shit out of her.
When I had a rough day, he would come and sit by me on the couch and lay
tightly against me with his head in my lap.  No demands, just his
presence.
During the family cook outs and get togethers, he mingled with everyone.
 He had no favorites (except the wife and I) Everybody got attention.
He got a great big cheeseburger last night, and some cheesy fries (his
favorite) this morning.  And I placed him in bed between the wife and I
for one final night's sleep.
We have three other dogs, and we love them all, and couldn't see not
having them around, but Murray was the perfect dog, and we're going to
miss him terribly.

We'll miss you Murray.  You'll never be replaced.
Much younger.

Halloween a few years ago.

Playing in the snow.

Last year.  Looking old.

Early this morning.  Sleeping under my feet while I surfed Arfcom.  He was never more than a few feet from my wife or I.

Eating his cheeseburger last night.

Watching TV with us last night.

My wife and I giving him some love this afternoon, before we took him to the Vet.   Savannah, Jasmine and Roxie (in the chair) had to get in their goodbyes also.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Never easy, and you did the right by Murray.  

Best wishes to you and the wife.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:53:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Murray looks like he was one hell of a good dog.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:51:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Very sorry for your loss. Looks like it was time to go. You did the right thing.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never easy, and you did the right by Murray.  

Best wishes to you and the wife.
View Quote

This x 10,000

Hardest damn thing I've had to do was put my good ol' gray kitty pal Dexter cat to sleep in Aug 2013 (he was suffering from heart failure).

I don't care whether you're a cat, dog, bird, etc person (or multiple) - they are our family, and losing them hurts.  Especially for folks like me and Mrs. CatSnipah, as they are the only children we choose to have.

You did right for ol' Murray.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:17:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm sorry OP, he looked to be a good dog.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#7]
My condolences. The hardest thing to do when it comes time to say your final goodbyes is to actually do it. Letting your best friends suffer in pain is never the best way to deal with an old pooch.

I have felt horrible every time I have had it done all the while knowing I made the right decision. Doing the right thing is dang hard sometimes.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice pictures, OP.  You gave Murray a nice life.  I know he appreciated it,  

I'm facing this in a short time too. I've got an 11+ tear old golden retriever, MIdas.  He's very white and is also slowing down.  I hate the thought of what is going to happen soon.  But I know I gave him the best life I could.

Best wishes to you and your family...
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#9]

OP, I am so sorry for your loss.

I hope and pray our dogs live to 17.  

God bless

Link Posted: 2/3/2015 9:06:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Murray looks like he was one hell of a good dog.
View Quote

This. Through and through.

You can never replace them, but you can always remember.

My condolences OP.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 9:10:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry that you had to go through this.  I don't know how one gets so attached to a pet, but we do.  Your days will get better.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 5:12:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks to all for your thoughts.

The other dogs are starting to come out of their funk, and so are we.  My Wife and I still have the habit of looking for him in his normal spots whenever we enter the bedroom.  It's so strange that he's not there.

I made the wife really cry the other day, I searched for a good pic of Murray, then took it to work and printed it off.  Put it in a nice frame and gave it to her when I got home.  She had a good cry, but there were some good memories involved also.

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 5:16:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I feel your pain.

I had what I would describe one of the worst days of my life. In short, I accidentally ran over our family Pekingese while backing into our driveway. He had run out through the garage right under my truck. It didn't kill him but caused internal bleeding and several broken bones. We had to take him and have him put down. I haven't cried that much ever in my life.

I used to go downstairs late at night and make sure he was alright. (He was an inside dog)

As time goes on it gets easier but you never forget your pets.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#15]
So sorry for your loss...animals lives are just too short.
:-(
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Very sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 6:17:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Almost 2 years ago we got a little Shih Tzu  and I am already dreading the day this happens. I stalled getting a dog just for this reason in fact. Wish your family a speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 3:02:52 PM EDT
[#19]
You have my sympathy, OP.  Your Murray looks a lot like my Charlie did.  Charlie was a rhodesian ridgeback / chow mix.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#20]
the right thing to do can be the hard thing to do.
thank you for recognizing the right time and letting him go.

it is a bitch.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 2:40:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Very sorry OP.  I have had dogs since I was knee high and growing up I have had to have some euthanized for health issues.  I lost my male GSD "Reece" last December a day before my birthday.  It is a total kick in the gut to lose a creature that has unconditional love for us.  I cry my eyes out everytime and pray to God that I am making the right decision.  They are part of my family and I know as long as I have dogs I will have to accept I will lose them when they get old or sick.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I feel for ya Brother!!!! I know exactly how you feel. I had to put down my best friend about 8 months ago. She was a 10 year old Basset Hound that went every where I went. But the cancer spread faster than the medicine could stop it. She has left a huge hole in my heart and I miss her greatly. Be glad you have other animals to love, I don't and the thought of getting another dog just doesn't seem right, at least not now.
God Bless
NCH
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:53:15 PM EDT
[#23]
As a new dog owner, this is hard to hear. I have heard this story a lot from the dog owners I know and it is never an easy day.

RIP Murray and hope you guys feel better.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Feel your pain brother.    Our babies hold a very special place in our hearts and it really really sucks when we have to carve that place out when they get old.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:14:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
As a new dog owner, this is hard to hear. I have heard this story a lot from the dog owners I know and it is never an easy day.

RIP Murray and hope you guys feel better.
View Quote

It IS never an easy day, that day. But, it's also one day when we here stop being opinionated assholes long enough to reach out and put a collective hand on your shoulder, just for a moment...
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I am truly sorry for your loss. Your Murray reminds me of my Charlie whom we lost 2 years ago.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top