Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2015 3:19:05 AM EDT
but all she does is just look at the ball. Wont even take an interest in it. Any tips? How did you all teach your dog?
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:48:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Force Fetch, you can probably find a video of the technique online.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:20:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag.

My 7 YO Beagle is as dumb as a box of rocks and barely knows his own name.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:32:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Tag.

My 7 YO Beagle is as dumb as a box of rocks and barely knows his own name.
View Quote
Mine knows where the treats are and when bedtime is.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Some do some don't. I've got one of each. The one that doesn't gets mad at the fetching dog and steals the ball or toy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Have had many beagles, one even finished top dog in his basic obedience class.  I am not a hard core rabbit/beagle hunter, they are house pets.  Beagles are not retrievers!  Probaby won't happen.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#6]
We usually started our beagles as pups so I'm not sure how well this will work with your adult. We used a rope toy and work for play instead of work for food. Play tug of war with them so they see the rope as something that you use to play with them. When they want to play with it and you, throw it a short distance away. When they bring it to you to play, do so. After a bit they understand that bringing something to you means play time. Almost all of our beagles would fetch to some degree.

We trained one adult beagle this way but he was an exceptional dog. Best rabbit dog I've ever seen from an outstanding line. If your dog has no interest in playing, good luck. Maybe rub some bacon grease on the ball and when she grabs it, give her a treat.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Our Beagle doesn't fetch at all - no interest what so ever, but she has gotten her share of squirrels, rabbits, and chipmunks.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Force Fetch, you can probably find a video of the technique online.
View Quote

This, or some variation.

It took me six SOLID months of training to put a reliable retrieve on my old Akita as part of training for an AKC Obedience Companion Dog Excellent (CDX) title, also known as "Open" Obedience (next level up from Novice). We were able to get one Open qualifying leg (1st place ribbon, too) before she passed away

Putting a force fetch on your dog can be a very emotional process for both you and your dog. They say that once you have trained for Open it will take your bond to a whole new level, and I absolutely agree with that statement. Sometimes you wonder why you are doing it, but then you get in the ring and what a feeling, for both of you!

Here's a good video of the Open routine. All off lead. Commands may only be given once (verbal or hand signal)--two commands and you are disqualified! Not shown are the group exercises: 5 or 10 dogs together in the ring in a line, all must maintain a sit stay for 3 minutes and a down stay for 5 minutes with all handlers out of sight. Not my dog, obviously, but a good example of how it's done!

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
but all she does is just look at the ball. Wont even take an interest in it. Any tips? How did you all teach your dog?
View Quote

Beagles don't learn anything new without the lesson being related to food.

Start by getting the dog to chase a treat on a hard flat surface tossed a few feet away and then returning to you.  Repeat for days and gradually increase the toss distance with the command "fetch."  Gradually, introduce the ball in a short distance toss 1 out of 5 times and reward with treat.  Repeat, etc.  Slowly, increase the ball throw freq and distance.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:41:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Start by getting the dog to chase a treat on a hard flat surface tossed a few feet away and then returning to you.  Repeat for days and gradually increase the toss distance with the command "fetch."  Gradually, introduce the ball in a short distance toss 1 out of 5 times and reward with treat.  Repeat, etc.  Slowly, increase the ball throw freq and distance.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've got an 8 year old beagle. He's not a hunter, just a house pet. But he will pay fetch for a few minutes before he gets distracted or bored. He does a pretty good job at it actually, will bring it back and set it at my feet or even in my lap.

Sometimes I will be watching TV or something and he will bring one of his toys over and drop it at my feet or in my lap to throw.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:22:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the responses. Trying to find some things to entertain her with aside from chewy toys like rawhide.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:57:58 AM EDT
[#12]
There's a book called "Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson.  It teaches how to teach your dog fetch, and a bunch of other useful stuff.  Give it a shot.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:55:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Thanks for the responses. Trying to find some things to entertain her with aside from chewy toys like rawhide.
View Quote
well then I'd suggest simple nose-work.

Get a special toy...especially a toy that is kind of smelly already, or make it smelly.   'Find the squeaky'.  Work from simple to complex but you can work up to stuff like dragging the toy behind you around the yard and then to a hiding spot, then letting the beagle track it down.  Or getting a bunch of boxes and hiding it under a box while the dog watches, then mixing up the boxes (3 Card Monte).  Obviously these are things you'd have to work up to, but for the Beagle using his nose to find things is going to be much more in line with his basic nature than seeing where something goes with his eyes and then running there and bringing it back.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top