Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2015 7:12:22 PM EDT
So we bought a multipoo(barley a dog) about 2 years ago, and recently he has started to growl at us. We haven't done anything different with him but now he seems more sensitive. Like for instance today he started growling at me because I tried to remove a leaf that was stuck in his fur. And this continued every time I got near him. I backed away from him, and let him be alone but I can't figure out why he is acting this way? He hasn't been neutered yet, and I was told that may be the issue. Any insight??
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#1]
He considers himself the alpha in the family. I'd have popped it in the ass lightly and rolled it over and held it until it quit struggling and gave up. You are going to end up with the damn thing biting family members because it's being coddled and thinks it's the king of the hill.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:17:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He considers himself the alpha in the family. I'd have popped it in the ass lightly and rolled it over and held it until it quit struggling and gave up. You are going to end up with the damn thing biting family members because it's being coddled and thinks it's the king of the hill.
View Quote

That is what I keep telling my wife that I need to do.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Google dominac roll and you will understand the problem. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#4]

you need to curb it right now, or put it down.

these small breed dogs can bite your face off real quick.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So do it instead of telling your wife.

ETA: Had a small dog that wanted to play that game. He got cured real quick by methods already prescribed by other members.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#6]
One of 2 things is going on with him.

1.) He thinks he is in charge. You need to alpha roll his ass pronto next time. I personally like to bite the shit out of my dogs neck when I have her on her back for full effect. She pisses herself everytime.

2.) Your little guy may been in a lot of physical pain from something you don't know about. His behavior is telling you to back off and leave him alone.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love the people that think alpha rolling a dog will put you back in charge. That can actually make things get worse and it can get you a horrible bite at the same time. Imagine after you roll your dog and then your child or wife tries to roll him over for a belly rub and he attacks them. Get with a professional trainer that can help you get the dog back under control without doing this. Get back into working obedience with your dog, your dog need to do what you want it to do not what he wants to do. You can fix him but not by rolling him. A video for some insight as to why this is a bad idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-15QnSF_tZ8
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Either an alpha issue or medical. Neighbor friend had a GSD many years ago and all the sudden started acting weird, growling, etc... Eventually took him to the vet and found out he had bone cancer and was in brutal pain all the time. It was an older dog and eventually they had to put it down, yours is likely being an alpha dominant dog and the posts above me have better info than I do and remedies, but maybe a trip to the vet is in order...
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I love the people that think alpha rolling a dog will put you back in charge. That can actually make things get worse and it can get you a horrible bite at the same time. Imagine after you roll your dog and then your child or wife tries to roll him over for a belly rub and he attacks them. Get with a professional trainer that can help you get the dog back under control without doing this. Get back into working obedience with your dog, your dog need to do what you want it to do not what he wants to do. You can fix him but not by rolling him. A video for some insight as to why this is a bad idea.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please, I've been doing it for decades, I don't need some schmuck [not talking about you] telling me what works and what doesn't. A dog that learns to bite family members is a dog that is going to get the needle or a bullet. Little dogs are the worst, they get coddled by idiots that don't realize it's still a pack animal that needs to know it's place in the house and that they are not a hamster or a goldfish. Once you establish dominance, you go on to train the dog to obey your commands and to submit it's will to everyone else in the household. Their place is LAST. PERIOD.

I have met way to many little ''rat'' dogs in my business that are nasty POS that are totally ruined because the owners couldn't get it through their heads that they are in charge and the dog isn't.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. If my animal snaps or growls at anyone in the family, I take immediate action. I have two kids in the house now and for their sake, no chances can be taken. I was stationed out of state about 3 years ago when the following occurred.

My wife knows nothing about dogs other than they eat and crap. Against my advice she picked up a "one year old" rescue "beagle". Max was closer to 5 years old and I think he was a beagle mix as he was roughly 20" at the shoulder.

While home on leave Max growled at my then 8 year old son. I pinned him down until he stopped struggling and had my son get on top and hold him down. It wasn't enough. One day when I was gone, my son went into the living room and sat on the floor, Max launched off the couch and attacked my son. The top bite scar is about 1/4" below his eye.

My wife isn't an alpha and Max knew it. He thought it was his house and he was in charge. I wasn't there enough to imprint that I was the alpha and my son was strong/big enough to establish dominance.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Vet visit to make sure he isn't suffering somehow, then obedience training and NILIF.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Friend had a dog that turned from nice to vicious in a matter of weeks.  Necropsy showed lesions on the brain.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#13]
We had a Rottie that thought it was top dog. Every one in the family got it on it's back , straddled it, put our hands around it's neck and choked lightly. yelling at it in the deepest voice we could muster. looked it right in the eyes until it looked away and submitted.
We never had any more problem  It was pretty funny seeing my 5' tall pregnant wife choking a 120 lbs rottie but it worked.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

No wonder the dog thinks he is in charge.

He is.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:12:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Humble that little shit ASAP. If he's hurt, so be it. You'll definitely find out when you show him who's boss. Put him in check first, then take him for a visit to the vet.

Just my 2¢.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:33:51 PM EDT
[#16]
To sum up what some posters are saying, beat the shit out of it....
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Vet visit to make sure he isn't suffering somehow, then obedience training and NILIF.
View Quote

That's exactly what I would recommend.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:13:28 AM EDT
[#18]
OP, before you take the "beat the dog" approach, read "The Other End Of The Leash", which gives the perspective of someone who has spent a long time examining the effects of doing so from a scientific approach.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#19]
As others have said, medical or else dog things he is top dog/alpha.

Now, no technique works 100% of the time with 100% of dogs.  If done correctly, to the right dog, alpha roll can work.  It can also backfire, especially when handled by someone who isn't dog savvy...and face it, people who are dog savvy do a thousand little things to cement themselves as alpha so just by the fact you are having this trouble, you probably aren't a good candidate to try the alpha roll.

There are many other ways to establish you as top dog.  I like the 'nothing in life is free' program.  When dog wants to go for a walk, or runs to the door to go outside to play, he doesn't instantly get his way, he is told to sit.  Once he sits nicely, THEN he gets to go play.  When it is meal time he is told to sit.  Food doesn't get placed down until he sits.  Doesn't matter how much he jumps and whines, no food.  Now as your dog is reacting to being touched this next one may not directly affect you as much.  Top Dog gets to initiate attention, lower dogs do not get to initiate, and must respond when top dog initiates attention.  When your dog runs up to you to get petting, hop on your lap, etc you do NOT give him the attention...not until he sits calmly or does whatever other task or condition you lay out for him.  Then you can choose to pet him, rub his belly, throw the toy for him, etc.  

Note that dogs who have been used to getting their way will intensify at first.  This is normal.  Think about turning on your TV with the remote.  If the remote all of a sudden stopped working, you'd push the button...then push it again, then push it a few more times, then push it really hard, and THEN you might figure out 'oh, pushing this button doesn't work any more'
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:44:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There are many other ways to establish you as top dog.  I like the 'nothing in life is free' program.  When dog wants to go for a walk, or runs to the door to go outside to play, he doesn't instantly get his way, he is told to sit.  Once he sits nicely, THEN he gets to go play.  When it is meal time he is told to sit.  Food doesn't get placed down until he sits.  Doesn't matter how much he jumps and whines, no food.  Now as your dog is reacting to being touched this next one may not directly affect you as much.  Top Dog gets to initiate attention, lower dogs do not get to initiate, and must respond when top dog initiates attention.  When your dog runs up to you to get petting, hop on your lap, etc you do NOT give him the attention...not until he sits calmly or does whatever other task or condition you lay out for him.  Then you can choose to pet him, rub his belly, throw the toy for him, etc.  

View Quote

I took this approach with my Husky when I rescued her.  She has very dominant tendencies and I had to let her know from the git go who was in charge.  She wasn't allowed to make any decisions and she had to meet certain conditions before getting anything.  I have used the alpha roll a couple of times to great effect with her.  The key is to never do anything it out of anger.  The first year and a half was rough, but she's 7 1/2 now and we have a very strong bond.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So we bought a multipoo(barley a dog) about 2 years ago, and recently he has started to growl at us. We haven't done anything different with him but now he seems more sensitive. Like for instance today he started growling at me because I tried to remove a leaf that was stuck in his fur. And this continued every time I got near him. I backed away from him, and let him be alone but I can't figure out why he is acting this way? He hasn't been neutered yet, and I was told that may be the issue. Any insight??
View Quote

YET? Why wasn't this done when you first got him?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you just need permission from your wife to do every right thing, or do you have to run the by a secondary committee before asking her?

What in the ever loving !#@!(*&!@ is wrong with you?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Take him to the vet for his brain surgery, and while he's there have the vet make sure that the dog isn't in pain so you know whether you're dealing with a behavioral issue versus a physical problem.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Not so sure about neutering - I've heard it has different effects on different dogs. We had a dog that, when neutered, gradually became less friendly and far more aggressive. He knew we deleted his nuts and hated us for it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I have dealt with less issues with my bully breeds and other aggressive types over the years. Any growling at any family member is never tolerated from the start. I have been through about 20 bullies and only 2-3 of them had to be taken out of family living. Nutering is not a cure all or remedy of much. Never ever keep any dog who growls at any family member or non stranger.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 3:31:23 AM EDT
[#26]
OP's household pecking order:

#1 Wife
#2 Dog
#3 OP

He's not even a beta, he's a gamma... LOL
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 4:26:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.   "might be in pain" was my first thought, especially if it's a sudden development...

Vet to rule out pain, then training.  You (meaning the whole family) have to be consistent.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Its very important to act as calmly as you can while correcting your dog as well. They can sense anger and will feed off it and that wont help them to learn what you want them to do. It definitely can be frustrating especially when they have tore something up. You also need to be correcting them within 10-15 seconds of them doing something wrong. If not they wont know why you are correcting them.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#29]
That stinks all I can say is echo what has been said. If it's not medical youu need to establish dominance.  I once had a dog growl at my son for getting too close to it's food. I moved fast and had it on the floor submitted starring it down. He never did that again. It knew I was dead serious because I was. Dogs can read/feel intentions a lot better than people
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

#1 Wife
#2 Dog
#3 OP

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:49:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That stinks all I can say is echo what has been said. If it's not medical youu need to establish dominance.  I once had a dog growl at my son for getting too close to it's food. I moved fast and had it on the floor submitted starring it down. He never did that again. It knew I was dead serious because I was. Dogs can read/feel intentions a lot better than people
View Quote

I'm following this all day.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a dog training book on the shelf written in the early 60's. Of course it's filled with advice from 'the old days'. One chapter is about discipline and corrections. He by no means goes on about extreme corrections with a dog.

He does say one has to leave no doubt as to who is in charge, clear the air so to speak. He calls it a 'thrashing'. His advice aside, I'd rather a few very firm corrections than a bunch of meaningless love taps along the way. After that the dog knows you mean business, all you have to do is raise your voice.

Our last Lab only had a stern correction a couple of times. Now we have a German Shepherd, all is well when she is aware of her place in the pack.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This.   "might be in pain" was my first thought, especially if it's a sudden development...

Vet to rule out pain, then training.  You (meaning the whole family) have to be consistent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

here is your answer.
Make sure he is OK, then make sure he knows who's his boss. It can be you or your wife or your kid, just not the dog.

How you choose to do that is up to you, every dog is different, what works with some might get you stitches with another so make sure you educate yourself and move forward.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
To sum up what some posters are saying, beat the shit out of it....
View Quote

Sure, control the dog with fear that works wonderful...
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:32:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

#1 Wife
#2 Dog
#3 OP

View Quote

OP get your household in order before you are the one sleeping outside in the dog house.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Some of the replies in this thread. .

Op, do yourself a favor and get the dog checked out by a vet to rule out any medical conditions, then do some serious research on how canines think, their visual cues in to what they are saying, and various training methods. What works for one dog might not work for another. If you try to do something stupid it could end with stiches for you or somebody else in your family.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top