Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2014 12:43:18 PM EDT
Trying to find out how well real hardwood flooring holds up against a dog's toenails.  The dog gets walked a lot, rarely have to trim his nails.   Looks like oak wood.  Not talking about laminate flooring.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#1]
My parents have oak and dogs (and my dogs when I visit). The dogs aren't harder on the floor any anything else.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends. Sedentary dog or active patroller? My Anatolian  Shepard has absolutely shredded the hardwood on the second floor of my home, both from racing from window to window and jumping to his feet from his lay-down-watching places. My fat old Labrador not so much.

Most hardwoods, apart from some of the Brazillian varieties, are actually soft enough to leave an impression on with your own fingernail. Go ahead and try it on some of the color samples at the store, you will be surprised.  

One hundred pounds of motivated canine WILL gouge the flooring.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Even with short nails my dogs will dig 'em in for traction when they're ripping around.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#4]
We moved into our new to us home last July, it just had hardwood installed on the first floor.

My female boxer shredded the floor in the first month, now the floor looks "antique" and my wife isnt so upset about it.

We will eventually get the floor tiled with the stuff that looks like hard wood.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:06:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I have Oak hardwood floors and a Boston Terrier.  No issues.  He is very active but only 18 lbs too
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#6]
What kind of dog and how big? My "small" 85lb Akita, whose nails I kept well trimmed, gave my hardwood an all-over "antique" finish in about two months. After a few years it needed a complete refinishing. We waited a few more years until we sold the house Now we live with wide pine floors, which also take a beating, but look much better with a "farmhouse" finish, which is all for the better since now I own two Akitas with a combined weight of 185.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#7]
My 30 pound Chow mix didn't do a thing to the hardwoods in my last house despite running around on them like nut for six years.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#8]
it's tough on the dog too
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Our laminate floors show some signs from have multiple Mals crash through the house. I cant imagine how trashed real wood would be. The stuff we have is really durable.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#10]
No issues with the Shelties on our oak floors.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#11]
We have three GSD's.  Between the damage and furballs, I've learned to ignore the floor.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 2:24:00 PM EDT
[#12]
In my last house I had real hardwood (installed when the house was built in the 60s) throughout the main part of the house. It ha been carpeted for 40 years and was refinished by the original installer. Two rooms on slab had oak laminate.

I had an Irish Wolfhound and a Bouvier Ds Flanders.

The REAL wood always looked brand new, but the laminate took a beating.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I have hardwood floors in two rooms.

One Great Dane / lab mix 110 lbs.

One Black Lab 75 lbs.

One English Terrier 50 lbs.

One German Shepard 70 lbs.  ( 16 years old )

One Australian Farm dog  55 lbs.  ( belongs to my daughter,  we're taking care of him till Jan. )

They have had no effect over the years but the Shepard has trouble walking on them and if

he goes down we have to help him up.   We've had since he was six weeks old.  

My wife loves dogs!!!  

jb
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#14]
We installed Brazilian Cherry = very hard/dense wood.

Two years later and it looks pretty good.  90# dag and only a few scratches here and thre.

Get the hardest you can afford and like...

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I have hardwoods and a 100lbs great dane. I can see impressions of her nails in areas where she plays the hardest
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top