Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2014 12:17:17 AM EDT
I have a Boston terrier that's almost 4 years old. She has developed cataracts and is going blind. I've researched a lot about advise on how to handle it as far as training and setting up the house. The lady and I are looking to buy our own place soon and when we do we will be getting another dog (a big one this time) and I'm curious if anyone has ever had a dog that was sort of a "seeing eye dog" to one of their dogs and if so what breed and any training they might have done for them.

Pics of the goofy ass dog:
" />
" />
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:41:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't ever heard of anyone buying a special breed or getting any special training for a canine helper to another canine. From everything I've seen, the two dogs will just bond fairly naturally and become friends. The blind one then will usually follow along in contact with the one that can see. Blindness isn't such a hard thing on dogs as it is in humans, but you will have to pick a furniture arrangement and stick with it.

You say you want a big dog, and you will probably need one that's fairly calm and gentle natured. Do you have anything else in mind? How do you feel about shedding, drool, grooming, exercise needs, etc? Exactly what do you consider big? Are you planning on getting a puppy or an adult?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:57:50 AM EDT
[#2]
If you want to know more about handling a blind dog and getting some pointers you may want to contact the Carolina Collie Rescue. They had a blind Collie (Halo) for a while and they have one now (Jack). You may want to e-mail them and ask for some advice since they have some experience.

She's a cute BT and good luck with the new dog.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a blind dog. IM sent.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a copy of "How Dogs Think", it will probably be of benefit to you.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you gone to the vet to see why the dog is developing cataracts and if there are any medications that can slow down the process?  Although expensive, veterinary ophthalmologists can do cataract surgery just like humans that can restore vision.  Even doing one eye would restore some vision.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top