Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 11/10/2014 10:17:04 PM EDT
So this is Roxy. She's a wonder mutt as I like to call it. Me and the family have always wondered what breeds she's got mixed in her.

I figured for sure a terrier of some sort. Rottweiler maybe? Shepherd somewhere? I hardly have a clue.

But she's a stocky little 2 year old with a funny under-bite and a whole lot of personality.

So figured I'd ask you arfcommers what you thought she was. I'm curious to see responses!

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:28:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Happy.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Happy.
View Quote

Definitely the best answer.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#3]
The color pattern she has is what all Doberman and Rottweilers have, it's called black-and-tan or black with tan points...however at least a dozen other breeds have 99% of the dogs with that same coloration, and 100 breeds have that coloration as one of many, but still present.

Is there any reason you think Rott beyond the coloration?

Why do you think GSD?  I don't see anything that would make be think GSD.

How tall at the shoulders and how heavy is the dog? (measure, don't guess)

Dogs aren't just different because of physical reasons, dogs are different breeds more because they have different brains/software.  Does your dog do anything behavior-wise that gives an inclination of breed?

The only thing that actually stands out to me is a fairly short muzzle.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 2:55:09 AM EDT
[#4]
If you really want to know, buy one of those genetic tests. Even those aren't very accurate, but there aren't any real stand-out features to point in one direction or another. You have a very mixed up mutt that is several generations away from anything purebred.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you really want to know, buy one of those genetic tests. Even those aren't very accurate, but there aren't any real stand-out features to point in one direction or another. You have a very mixed up mutt that is several generations away from anything purebred.
View Quote

Yeah, that.  The coloration could come from rott, doberman, shepherd, heeler, etc..  No clear indication.

In addition, when genetic testing is done, very often, what people thought were clear indicators of one breed often turn out to be the result of mixing two breeds quite different than what the person assumed.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#6]
More than likely Canis Muttis Americanis.

He does look a little like a Treeing Feist though.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 9:03:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Rott/Lab Mix?
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yeah, that.  The coloration could come from rott, doberman, shepherd, heeler, etc..  No clear indication.

In addition, when genetic testing is done, very often, what people thought were clear indicators of one breed often turn out to be the result of mixing two breeds quite different than what the person assumed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

just realize those tests are crap.

http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=23206
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 9:57:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is that.

I know they say not to use them on purebreds because it would give an inaccurate result. My thought was "why?" If it's purebred, the results should indicate that, assuming the test is legitimate.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Pink tongue possum trotter.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There is that.

I know they say not to use them on purebreds because it would give an inaccurate result. My thought was "why?" If it's purebred, the results should indicate that, assuming the test is legitimate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is that.

Every purebred dog is a mix off breeds somewhere in there past.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Does she kill rodents or chase things?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:43:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Does she kill rodents or chase things?
View Quote

What dog doesn't? lol
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:45:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
More than likely Canis Muttis Americanis.

He does look a little like a Treeing Feist though.
View Quote

Those breeds are rather old and I don't think she's either.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:49:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is that.

That's true. Every purebred dog is a mix of other breeds that are more than likely no longer around. The genetic testing crap is not very accurate however some of them are fairly accurate. I'll give it maybe 75% accuracy at best.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:50:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Sorry for completely abandoning this thread for a while!! I didn't think it would get any notification.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:08:38 AM EDT
[#17]
That, without a doubt, is your standard issue purebred Bavarian Teufelshunde.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:13:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

...aren't those just bulldogs?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:22:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I've got a mutt that's part Manchester Terrier that looks kinda like her.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:30:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell no.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:54:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Hell no.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell no.

Pic?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:56:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've got a mutt that's part Manchester Terrier that looks kinda like her.
View Quote

I was thinking of a Manchester Terrier. The floppy rose petal ears and colors are pretty accurate.

But then again...Dobermans, Rottweilers, Miniature Pinschers, Manchester Terrier, and a few other breeds have black and tan coats as well as the floppy ear trait.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#23]
My first thought was Manchester terrier mixed with something a little stockier in build.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:37:01 AM EDT
[#24]
not sure...but cute.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top