Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2014 2:14:45 AM EDT
Anyone familiar with canine incontinence? My mom's pooch, a house-trained lab/greyhound mix has been dealing with it for over a month now. First vet trip was blood and urine and antibiotics were given for suspected canine UTI. Urinanalysis revealed infection, doc changed antibiotics. Unknown of what occurred at second trip beside culture. Third trip, another urine culture that revealed bacterial infection, meds changed again. A quick search revealed the dog's medical issue is related to spaying and/or her age (8-9 years-old). Some recommend Proin or Propalin for treatment. Does my vet know what she's doing?
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 7:51:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone familiar with canine incontinence? My mom's pooch, a house-trained lab/greyhound mix has been dealing with it for over a month now. First vet trip was blood and urine and antibiotics were given for suspected canine UTI. Urinanalysis revealed infection, doc changed antibiotics. Unknown of what occurred at second trip beside culture. Third trip, another urine culture that revealed bacterial infection, meds changed again. A quick search revealed the dog's medical issue is related to spaying and/or her age (8-9 years-old). Some recommend Proin or Propalin for treatment. Does my vet know what she's doing?
View Quote

IT happens with spayed dogs sometimes. Yes your vet knows what she is doing.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 9:41:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Same happened with my Dobie. The pills worked literally overnight
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#3]
An article: http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/what-you-need-to-know-about-spay-incontinence-in-female-dogs

My last dog had spay incontinence. The way she presented was to leak a huge puddle when she was sleeping. It didn't even disturb her sleep. We were able to manage it without med's. We noticed that after play, training or exercise she would drink a whole bunch of water and then lay down for a nap. We started sending her out for a pee 20 minutes after that kind of drinking even if we had to wake her, and to add 3 more directed pee's (our dogs are trained to pee on command) in between her normal 4 (morning/noon/evening walks and last outs). This kept her sufficiently empty so that her spay-weakened muscles were able to do the job.

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The dog has been on several different "pills" for over a month now with no improvement.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The dog has been on several different "pills" for over a month now with no improvement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If she's not on Proin (phenylpropanolamine) then she's not on the right pills for spay incontinence.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Our rottweiler mix has this problem.  She's 12 now but started several years ago.  The pills work most of the time but occasionally she'll leak while sleeping or getting up off of her bed.  We use a washable liner/pad under the cover of her bed and launder as necessary.   I dont mind, its just a matter of time before I have the same issues probably.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 12:34:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If she's not on Proin (phenylpropanolamine) then she's not on the right pills for spay incontinence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The vet said the "bacteria" is gone so we're stuck with a spay incontinence diagnosis. Picked up some Proin pills the other night and hasn't had an accident yet. Dog seems happier too
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The vet said the "bacteria" is gone so we're stuck with a spay incontinence diagnosis. Picked up some Proin pills the other night and hasn't had an accident yet. Dog seems happier too
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wonder if the Vet told him how COMMON this side effect was BEFORE doing the surgery???
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 2:48:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Wonder if the Vet told him how COMMON this side effect was BEFORE doing the surgery???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From my experience, they rarely do. I suppose some vets might (my holistic one did), and some may have it in the fine print in the info they hand out (that no one ever reads), but just going off personal experience, it's usually just "so when do you want to set up the spay surgery?" No discussion of the cons, just the pros.

I had one vet read me the riot act when I brought my show dog in for an initial visit (we had just moved). One of the first things out of her mouth was "so when do you want him fixed?" When I said I wasn't having him neutered, she went on a diatribe about how I was an irresponsible owner that was contributing to the deaths of millions of shelter dogs, that he was going to have all sorts of behavior problems, and that he wasn't even show quality so I was wasting my time. Needless to say, she was wrong on all accounts. She also ended up losing her job a couple months later. Last I saw, she was doing some sort of mobile spay/neuter clinic thing out of an RV.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 3:31:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Same thing happened with my red dobie, pro in worked the first time but the second time caused bad side effects.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Once the urinary incontinence has resolved for your dog and her condition has stabilized, it may be possible to decrease the dosage of Proin. However, this condition is not usually curable and it is likely you will need to continue administering the Proin indefinitely."

I however was able take my 13 y.o. spayed dog off the Proin (okay I ran out) and she maintained continence for another year. When it recurred I started the Proin again.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My dog was on Prion from about 14 until she was put down at over 16 years of age.  She first started showing incontinence by wetting the bed in her sleep.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Glad the infection has cleared up. Same thing happened with my female Dane and we figured it was a UTI as well. It turned out to be bladder cancer and she passed away 4 months later. That was last year. She lived to be a good age for a Dane, 9 years, so we are very thankful it wasn't early in her life. We lost our male this year at 8 which is the norm but very sad.

I love Danes, but the short span of life is hard. We are considering something that lives longer for the next family pet.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top