Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2014 10:01:35 PM EDT
Im a new GSD owner, and im having trouble deciding if I want him to stay outside or inside.
what I really would like is for him to be inside with me at night and outside while im at work..
im just concerned about the Minnesota weather.. any suggestions?
is there any other important info I should know?
Hes a "pure bred" gsd and he is around 11 months old.

edit: if pic doesn't work please let me know how to upload them properly.

thanks,
wissota4
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:52:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Definately inside, sleeping on his own foam bed; not yours at night and during the day in sub zero weather.
Outside during the day in a insulated house when the weather isn't horrible.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Good looking dog.  

I have a german shepherd.  She stays inside at night and when we're not home.  She has a bed in the living room and in our bedroom, she's not allowed on furniture.  I like to have her inside to watch the place.  She hardly ever leaves the windows watching the driveway.  75% of the time we're home I'm outside anyways and she is out with me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#3]
dogie door
mine are in and OUT as they WANT
covered fence outside cement footing so cant did out
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#4]
GSDs bond very closely with their people, and he will want to be with you. In addition, that's some damn cold weather you have up there. Don't relegate your dog to backyard ornament status. A dog door would allow him to come and go as he pleases, and they have ones that can only be opened by a special collar being near a sensor on the door.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:31:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Dogs that originated in the northern latitudes grow an 'undercoat' that is somewhat similar to cotton or down and this gives a lot of insulation.

The ability to grow this kind of fur is genetic, but the amount and thickness is heavily dependant on the gradual exposure to cold a dog gets if it is living outside as the seasons change.

A dog kept outside during the day and inside during the night may not grow his undercoat very well because 'inside' is kept at a reasonable level so it fells like a warm spring day (or warm spring night I guess)

A dog that stays outside year-round in Minnesota will be able to handle the cold as long has he has a decent dog-house to go into (small enough so he can warm it with body temperature, insulated, flap or something to keep the wind out.  When it gets -20 (not counting windchill) the outside dog just spends most of his time in the doghouse, when it is 10 above, he's outside just fine.  That won't be true of a dog that is spending nights indoors.  Oh sure, when you go out to shovel the sidewalk or go for a brisk walk for a few hours they'll be fine, but during our coldest days, a dog that is outside from 7am to 7pm is going to be out in too cold of weather for too long for an underdeveloped undercoat.

It's really more of an all or nothing thing.  Either have him be an inside dog that can still go out in the cold for hours but not all day...or have him be an outside dog.

I am guessing the underlying issue is you don't want a dog free-roaming in your home while you are at work.  Look into crate training, getting a dog walker to break an 8 or 9 hour span into two smaller periods, or look at the training and relationship building that you'd need to have a dog that can be in the house even when you are at work and be non-destructive.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top