Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2014 9:52:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#1]
You got a dog in your house.

Put her outside where she belongs.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Urinary tract infection. Take her to the vet.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Spayed female? Hormone changes can weaken the bladder. Ask your vet about Proin.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:24:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:43:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Vet trip is a good idea.

Crate trained?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#6]
saw the thread title.
then the poster
and THEN which forum it was in.

had a good laugh for a second.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#7]
As others have mentioned, there are several health issues that can lead to a previously trained dog beginning to soil the house. Urinary tract infections, spay incontinence, or even renal failure.

Make sure you get her to the vet for an evaluation.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#8]
looks like you need to wake up at 3 am and let the Dog piss
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:25:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As others have mentioned, there are several health issues that can lead to a previously trained dog beginning to soil the house. Urinary tract infections, spay incontinence, or even renal failure.

View Quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've personally been through UTI and spay incontinence issues with my last dog. In most cases they are easily fixed/managed.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've personally been through UTI and spay incontinence issues with my last dog. In most cases they are easily fixed/managed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of mine developed renal failure. He would piss a lake every time you took him out, and for the last several months he would also piss in the house because he simply couldn't hold it.

Not his fault in the least.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

One of mine developed renal failure. He would piss a lake every time you took him out, and for the last several months he would also piss in the house because he simply couldn't hold it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When we went through the UTI she was mortified that she couldn't hold it and wanted to spend every minute outdoors trying to pee or preventing accidents. When we went through the spay incontinence she would leak a huge puddle while sleeping. The UTI was fixed with med's. The spay incontinence we managed. Basically we would give her twice as many directed opportunities to pee, and if she came inside and went to settle down we had a directed pee, then let her be. Also if we saw her drink a ton of water we'd wait a half hour and go for a pee. We also were picking her water up in the evening, something we hadn't had to do, although she figured that out, too, was able to manage herself and so we didn't have to even pick up her water anymore. Luckily we got through that with no med's.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:09:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sorry guys i havent updated this thread, she also Craps on the floor in the house. Everytime she takes a leak she craps inside also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Sorry guys i havent updated this thread, she also Craps on the floor in the house. Everytime she takes a leak she craps inside also.

As was said, go to the vet and have her checked out.  If she comes up clean, then go back to:

Basic potty training 101.

make sure that the dog never goes in the house.

1. If the puppy just woke up, take it outside, don't take it back in until it "goes". Reward the dog for going outside with a "yes" and a treat IMMEDIATELY AFTER it finishes. Not 10 seconds later, IMMEDIATELY after.
2. If the puppy has had water, take it outside until it goes.
3. If the puppy has eaten, take it out within 10-40 minutes until it goes.
4. If the puppy has been playing for a little bit, take it outside until it goes.
5. If the puppy hasn't been out for 30 minutes or so for other reasons, take it out until it "goes".
6. If the puppy is sniffing at the ground, take it out.

You control the situation so that the dog never goes in the house, and she will do the rest. Dogs naturally don't want to go in their "dens", but their "dens" by nature are a few square feet, not a few thousand.

Plus, they can imprint the feel of certain textures under their feet (like carpet, grass, etc.) with "potty places". Control the situation, show kindness, and it will work out. *IMMEDIATELY* reward with praise and treats the instant the dog is done going outside.

Now, the dog IS and WILL show signs that it is going to go to the bathroom, you just have to watch for them. If the dog goes in the house... smack yourself and say "I should have watched my dog more closely".

It will be a lot of work, but you must be 100% consistent.  every time you let them pee in the house, it sets you back a LOT.  For those of us with fenced back yards where the dog can stay when we aren't at home, it's easier.  Other times, crate training and the help of family often needs to be enlisted.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:37:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Also realize that when a dog pees or poops it leaves behind a scent that tells the dog that it is okay to pee or poop there again.  This happens at a very primitive brain-chemical level, just like mouth salivating over the smell of something cooking, or how fatty/salty/sweat snacks taste good to us.  Logically we know we don't need the calories or the salt, we are no longer caveman, but that programing remains.

The only way to combat this is to as fully as possible remove the smell.  Covering it with other smells may fool humans, but is as worthless as throwing a blanket on top of a dead body to hide your murder victim, the dog's sense of smell isn't going to be fooled.

What is needed to be done IN CONJUNCTION WITH retraining her in the basics of housebreaking is to get special enzymatic pet cleaners.  The enzymes attack the scent particles and break them down.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 7:39:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Nature's Miracle, available at Petsmartco and elsewhere, is the gold standard for enzymatic cleaners. Get some! And as said above, back to housebreaking 101, incl. the crate, if there's a clean bill of health.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 4:09:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Nature's Miracle, available at Petsmartco and elsewhere, is the gold standard for enzymatic cleaners. Get some! And as said above, back to housebreaking 101, incl. the crate, if there's a clean bill of health.
View Quote

Is this stuff effective in a steam cleaner?  What is the best way to use / apply it to carpet?  

I'm having the same problems with my lab.  If I don't put her in her crate, there will be a mess when I get home from work.  My problem though is I work nights (9p-6a), then sleep during the day.  I'd rather not have her in her crate that much but I can't let her continue to soil the house.  In her crate, she is fine all night and goes when I take her outside in the morning.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Is this stuff effective in a steam cleaner?  What is the best way to use / apply it to carpet?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think you can use it in a steam cleaner. The best way to use it on carpeting is to completely saturate the area in question. It needs to soak into the carpet, the underlying pad and even into the bare floor underneath. Everywhere the urine did so that it can break down the proteins in the dried urine. If you just clean the top surface of the carpet with it it will not act on the dried urine in the layers below. Think of it as a pissing contest and you, the big dog, are going to win
I'm having the same problems with my lab.  If I don't put her in her crate, there will be a mess when I get home from work.  My problem though is I work nights (9p-6a), then sleep during the day.  I'd rather not have her in her crate that much but I can't let her continue to soil the house.  In her crate, she is fine all night and goes when I take her outside in the morning.
Normally I'd say "bad to have your dog in the crate so long". However this is during the night when your dog is sleeping anyway. Do you have her on a reliable schedule so that she is peeing, pooping and tired before going into the crate in the evening? Indeed, what is her schedule during the day? If it's normal (exercise, play, training, interaction, etc., not just more sleep) with a good pee/poop "last outs" before you go, then she shouldn't be soiling the house in the evening when you are away at work. She's not crated when you are home in the daytime?

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 4:39:19 AM EDT
[#18]
yep.

as indicated, a trip to the vet's in order. if all's well, keep a real close eye on her. she will tell you with subtle hints that she wants to go "outside" for potty.

we adopted a beagle from the City pound. she was the "perfect" dog until she started pooping and peeing inside after about 3 months.

SOLUTION: me and the wife were ignoring her "clues" like walking to the outside doors; pawing at us; etc.So now we are alert for her cues.

You'll work it out!

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 4:45:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Well mannered dogs do not typically fail their owners. The owners fail the dogs.

There is a deeper issue at heart here. Take her to the vet ASAP
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 1:57:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I don't think you can use it in a steam cleaner. The best way to use it on carpeting is to completely saturate the area in question. It needs to soak into the carpet, the underlying pad and even into the bare floor underneath. Everywhere the urine did so that it can break down the proteins in the dried urine. If you just clean the top surface of the carpet with it it will not act on the dried urine in the layers below. Think of it as a pissing contest and you, the big dog, are going to win

Normally I'd say "bad to have your dog in the crate so long". However this is during the night when your dog is sleeping anyway. Do you have her on a reliable schedule so that she is peeing, pooping and tired before going into the crate in the evening? Indeed, what is her schedule during the day? If it's normal (exercise, play, training, interaction, etc., not just more sleep) with a good pee/poop "last outs" before you go, then she shouldn't be soiling the house in the evening when you are away at work. She's not crated when you are home in the daytime?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So with the Natures Miracle I want to basically pour it into the carpet?

She's been doing fine the last few days and I've been doing the praising outside when she goes with a treat.  I feed her about 6a and 6p.  Before I leave for work I'll let her out for a while, she does her business, then goes into the crate for the night.  In the morning I let her out as soon as I get home, feed her, then play for a bit and let her outside again before I go to bed around 8am or so.  I've been leaving her out of her crate during the day and she's had no issues in the house the last few days now.

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 2:34:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Kidney failure can also cause them to piss in the house. Excess fluid builds up in the body and they have to get rid of it somehow. As others have said take her to the vet, and stop punishing her your gonna make things worse.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 8:52:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Pretty much, although I prefer to more carefully apply it with a spray bottle. The carpet and pad does need to soaked down to the bare floor, for the reasons I described above.
She's been doing fine the last few days and I've been doing the praising outside when she goes with a treat.  I feed her about 6a and 6p.  Before I leave for work I'll let her out for a while, she does her business, then goes into the crate for the night.  In the morning I let her out as soon as I get home, feed her, then play for a bit and let her outside again before I go to bed around 8am or so.  I've been leaving her out of her crate during the day and she's had no issues in the house the last few days now.
Sounds good. Don't forget to add an elimination command so that you can ultimately get her to go on command. For example just keep repeating something like "Business, do your business" and then when it happens say "GOOD business!", pet, treat, etc.

Also, because your breed is susceptible to bloat, I'd recommend your homecoming routine should be: elimination, play/training, then feed, rest for 30 to 60 minutes, then elimination again.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:07:31 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Pretty much, although I prefer to more carefully apply it with a spray bottle. The carpet and pad does need to soaked down to the bare floor, for the reasons I described above.

Sounds good. Don't forget to add an elimination command so that you can ultimately get her to go on command. For example just keep repeating something like "Business, do your business" and then when it happens say "GOOD business!", pet, treat, etc.

Also, because your breed is susceptible to bloat, I'd recommend your homecoming routine should be: elimination, play/training, then feed, rest for 30 to 60 minutes, then elimination again.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So how do you soak the pad and the floor under it with a spray bottle?  Unless you're using a pressure washer?    

And I guess I wasn't very clear on my morning homecoming routine with her, but that is what I do.  Outside to eliminate, play a bit, feed, then she relaxes with me a bit before I hit the bed.  

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 7:30:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:So how do you soak the pad and the floor under it with a spray bottle?  Unless you're using a pressure washer?  
View Quote
Dude, you are way over thinking this.

http://www.natures-miracle.com/Articles/Using-Natures-Miracle-Stain-and-Odor-Remover-for-Best-Results.aspx
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 3:43:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Yea, I do that.  

So if I have an area rug on top of the carpet would it be best to just pour through the rug into the carpet, or ....

Picked up some Natures Miracle tonight and will give it a go soon.  Hoping it works wonders.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#26]
My lab had bladder stones when she was about 8 or 9.  One was the size of my childs fist and a bunch of smaller ones.  She started going in the house all the time when she never had done that.  Her bladder was filled with the stones and didn't have the volume left for her urine so she relieved herself more often.  Take her to the vet and have her checked.

Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top