Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2014 11:53:24 AM EDT
Does anyone have any good leads on where I can find a puppy in Southern Cali? I'm stationed on Camp Pendleton and live in San Clemente so I want something within 4 or so hours (Southern/Central California or possibly southwestern Arizona). The wife and I have been talking and she's finally agreed that I can get a bigger dog (we have a 3 year old Jack Russel). We're looking for a German Shorthaired Pointer or Rhodesian Ridgeback. I want something athletic that I can eventually take on runs as well as a good protective dog for my wife and daughter (18 months old) while I'm at work. We have a small backyard but we're outdoors people and go on walks/bike rides frequently and my wife and I both run so getting the dog exercise isn't an issue. If anyone knows of any where I can get such a beast, I'd really appreciate the help. Or, if you know of another breed that fits the bill that might be an option too.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:13:44 AM EDT
[#1]
German Shorthaired Pointer breeder listing by state

Ridgeback breeders in California

Find a breeder there that is close to you and that you feel comfortable working with. Tell them about yourself and your family and what you are looking for in a dog. Ask about their dogs, what health testing they do, and what they expect from their puppy buyers. Don't discuss price until the end of the colorist conversation or sometime during the second one. Expect to pay $1000+ for a well bred puppy. Also expect to wait at least a couple months for a puppy. Responsible breeders don't always have puppies available and usually have a wait list for when they do breed a litter.

Take that wait time and go meet with the breeder and his or her dogs. Research the health problems associated with the breed you pick. Go to a few dog shows and meet several different specimens of the breed. Talk to people about the negatives of owning that breed (iow, why not to choose that breed) As well as the positives. Not only will doing that stuff make you a better, more knowledgable owner, but it may move you up on the breeder's waiting list if they see that you are enthusiastic about your new puppy.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top