Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2014 1:28:30 AM EDT
I'm looking to get a new dog next year. I would like one that can help me round up the sheep and goats. I'd love to get an ACD, but their nipping is not good for small livestock.
Kelpies and BCs seem to be popular. Can anyone give me some more info?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#1]
How many sheep and goats do you have?  Do they have regular interactions with humans?  Realize that the Border Collie was designed to handle flighty sheep who didn't have much contact with humans (put out into terrain too steep to farm for weeks on end) and liked to clump up together.  Sheep keepers there needed a dog that could bring in sheep while taking commands from a long distance.  If you are not practicing this, other herders might be a be a better fit.  Your own citing of the ACD being a poor fit is the kind of thing I am talking about.  They were created to handle unruly cattle, where nipping is often necessary.

read this

In the USA we have herding breeds that haven't herded anything for 20+ generations, and then we have the Border Collie, Australian Shepherd, and Australian Cattle Dog...and that's where people think their choices end.  In reality there are the distinctly American "English Shepherd" and the "Old Time Farm Shepherd" also known as the Old Scotch Collie.  There is also a myriad of non-british European herding dogs many of which don't have AKC recognition.  

I have a soft spot for the Old Scotch Collie, and that would be my recommendation

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Neighbor had  a border collie, every time he had a party the dog tried to herd the guests.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:35:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I only have 15 goats and 5 sheep. The goats come easily to a feed can rattle, but the sheep are wild and I can't put my hands on them. My needs are a dog that can help me gather the animals and push them in the pen. The ability to single out a sheep at my direction would be awesome as well. A breeder nearby has sent me some videos of his Kelpies and I think I'm gonna visit him this weekend.

Here is one of the breeder's dogs.

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:49:08 PM EDT
[#4]
honestly, breed isn't important if you have a local who has the same basic needs as you do, has dogs that fits that need, and is producing dogs.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:04:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Those links you posted were pretty interesting. Especially the part about "ol shep". Dogs are amazing creatures and their abilities are extremely under-utilized in modern day.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
honestly, breed isn't important if you have a local who has the same basic needs as you do, has dogs that fits that need, and is producing dogs.
View Quote

I'd absolutely agree with this. If you have someone local that is breeding dogs that do exactly what you need them to do, you are golden. It might be different if you were purchasing a puppy sight unseen from a breeder across the country, but why do that if you have a local option?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I only have 15 goats and 5 sheep. The goats come easily to a feed can rattle, but the sheep are wild and I can't put my hands on them. My needs are a dog that can help me gather the animals and push them in the pen. The ability to single out a sheep at my direction would be awesome as well. A breeder nearby has sent me some videos of his Kelpies and I think I'm gonna visit him this weekend.

http://youtu.be/oaek-XcprzQ
View Quote

Awesome dog. And did you catch the LGD in the flock as well? Horses for courses!
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:37:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Awesome dog. And did you catch the LGD in the flock as well? Horses for courses!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/oaek-XcprzQ

I actually didn't even see it, until my wife pointed it out.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#9]
My family had a Border Collie when I was little, she would herd my brother and I into corners fairly often.

She was also amazingly intelligent.  We had her trained to be off-leash and could direct her to run around an open field by yelling her name and pointing the direction we wanted her to run.

We never had sheep or goats but I'm sure she would've handled them well if we did.

I miss her.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I've heard stories like that my whole life. Working dogs just want a job, if keeping an eye on the kids is all that's available, they'll do it, lol.

I'm trying to trade the breeder/trainer an AR for the puppy. Hopefully he will agree to the swap.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've heard stories like that my whole life. Working dogs just want a job, if keeping an eye on the kids is all that's available, they'll do it, lol.

I'm trying to trade the breeder/trainer an AR for the puppy. Hopefully he will agree to the swap.
View Quote

The lodge I go to in SD used to have border collie as their primary bird dog. very good dog to shoot over, did a good job on point and or flushing. Damn thing could run all day and not get tired.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top