Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2014 3:59:38 AM EDT
I'm saving and have some items for sale to have my buddy's rear left ACL repaired. On the beach a couple weeks ago and he turned wrong in the soft pack sand on a short throw of his ball. Now it looks like a broken chicken wing with no stability. ANyways, what can I expect if I can get the operation done? I mean afterwards is it going to be good? I am hoping at least 80%. He is 6 years old and otherwise in perfect health. Unbelievably smart dog. Any advice or experience with this injury please reply. Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The dog in my avatar had both of her back legs done.  She tore them a few years apart.   The procedures were different each time because they improved the way it could be done by the second time.  

Each time she was on a leash for about a month.   Absolutely no running or jumping.  The vet advised us each time that there was a chance she could injure them again.    She did fine though.   She was maybe a bit stiffer in her back legs after they were both done.  However, she was able to run and play and never injured them again.

I would say she was way more than 80%e even after both were done.    

I hope it works out for you as well.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks. i guess it is common for the other to go most of the time. ouch, this one hurts enough. thx for the info.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 2:37:36 AM EDT
[#3]
One of my boxers blew out both ACL's in the same weekend. We had them both done at the same time with the "fishing line" repair method. For the first 4 weeks we had to sling her anywhere she went.......it sucked for all of us. The next 4 weeks she was allowed to walk short distances on the leash. After her rehab she is about 90% of where she was prior, the only thing she won't do now is jump on the bed or in the car. It was money well spent and I'd do it again
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:36:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Our English Bulldog had to have hers done.  Seriously OP, keep that pooch as calm as possible after the surgery.  Everything I've read is that its all about the recovery period.  Our girl is 100% back to her maniacal self .

Best of luck to you both.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top