Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2014 2:01:08 PM EDT
So my dog 1/2 Great Dane 1/2 unknown has started chewing his claws on all 4 paws. His claws seem to crack easily when I have to clip them.

So do you think a vet visit is in order?
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe they too long for him or maybe he just simply bored and chewing on them for something to do. Dogs chew to also relieve stress, but from my own experiences with my own dogs over the years...something like that out of the blue is generally just being bored i think. Mine have all done it at one point, but stop just about as suddenly as they started. If he keeps doing it for a few days, yeah, maybe take him to the vet see whats up.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#2]
My rescue dog won't let me near her feet, even after having her for 4 years. Needless to say she chews her nails. Only issue I have noticed is they are sharp as shit. Honestly I wouldn't worry unless your dog shows signs of pain.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 4:54:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Potentially allergies.  Give the mutt an appropriate dose of benedryl for a few days, see if it stops.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So my dog 1/2 Great Dane 1/2 unknown has started chewing his claws on all 4 paws. His claws seem to crack easily when I have to clip them.

So do you think a vet visit is in order?
View Quote

Is he doing a 'good' job???

Would not worry about it if it were MY dog and the dog was not doing any harm to its nails or feet.

Prefer to use a very coarse file with my girls. (homemade file with 80 grit sandpaper glued to it - 120 on another file) I generally only use clippers (if I must)  to get close and then finish with the file so I can remove the sharp edges and have the nail be flat on the bottom. Harder to get into the quick this way.  

One of my girls chews on occasion and I hardly every need to use clippers with her. An occasional filing does her just fine and not much work is required even then.  

Perhaps a sharper set of clippers and a good file is in order?
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#5]
My 2 older dogs don't but my youngest bites his nails.  Never gets them to short/bleed.  Doest a decent job too.  All we have to do is cut the raptor like dew claws.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#6]
He dose a ok job. There are times when I have to take the tips off.
We got him from the pound. He freaks out when anyone gets near his nails or he sees the clippers.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#7]
My ACD has been chewing on his feet. Not his nails.
You can't touch his feet very often. Clipping his nails is a dramatic traumatic ordeal.
I just run him on pavement now when I go for a bike ride. Keeps his nails short.  

I'm wondering if he has an allergic reaction to some weed or grass in my area.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#8]
My Mal chews his nails. Combined with all the work he does on asphalt I've never trimmed his nails once.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:49:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Took mine to the vet. He has a bacterial skin infection between his toes.
A round of antibiotics and a topical spray for his feet for a couple of weeks.

Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top