Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2014 1:06:04 PM EDT
2 dogs, 2 cats, and a handful of fish just isn't enough so we got a Russian tortoise. He's 7.5 years old, came with an aquarium and all sorts of supplies. After some reading today I think he might be a she. I'm already planning on building a new habitat for him too. No name yet, my oldest son is at his mom's for a week and we want all the kids to help pick the name out.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#1]
There are so many good Russian names...

What is the life expectancy?  A friend adopted a tortoise that has a good chance of outliving her.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What is the life expectancy?  A friend adopted a tortoise that has a good chance of outliving her.
View Quote

Ha, they have a 50+ year life expectancy.  That is one long living pet
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:36:27 AM EDT
[#3]
it's a heirloom.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:52:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Sasha.

It's a Russian diminutive for both male and female names.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:26:01 AM EDT
[#6]
We let him roam around in the backyard this evening. He can really cruise, covered a 15'x15' area in no time at all. He is a he after all, he has a big ol' tail tucked under the shell. My son comes home on Sunday, so he'll have a name soon. My wife gave a hard no to any Ninja Turtle names though
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm no expert but look at "his" plastron, the belly shell. On most turtles this will be slightly concave in the male. It makes for better spooning.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#8]
His new name will be Rasputin. The 5 and 6 year old got to watch him run around last night and the 2 year old is still trying to figure out how to say his name.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:47:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Rasputin got his second trip to the bath tub today. Turns out its an easy way to keep the boys occupied for 20 minutes.

It also answers the question of whats in the shell.

Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top