Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2014 11:24:15 AM EDT
Abby's stomach hasn't been "right" for a little bit now.....

She got sick after her first vaccines (about May 15th) - vomiting and diarrhea. The vet put her on some food (soft and dry) and said give her rice and boiled chicken. That cleared up in a couple days.

About a week ago she started having diarrhea again - sometimes there's a "hard start" but most of the time it's just liquid... it will alternate between plain liquid and "soft serve ice cream" consistency.

She's having accidents during the night and when we leave her home for a few hours - she's not the best at signaling but if you pay attention you know she has to go out... problem is, we're sleeping and she hasn't figured out to bark yet. When her stomach is OK she lets us know and can go the night without issue.

She hasn't been acting sick in any way besides this - she doesn't seem dehydrated either. We've been feeding her blue buffalo dry puppy food + rice and chicken. She usually eats most of the food but not all in the morning - she'll eat her whole dinner.

She's 5 months old and in the middle of teething (which we heard can cause stomach problems - but I didn't think it'd be this bad or long)

Ideas before we take her back to the vet to get looked at? Anything else we can do to help her out?

Of course - picture (with my wife at my parent's place - my sister's dog Foster in the back)

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Have they performed a fecal examination at the vet to rule out internal parasites?  That would be the first thing I would do don't mess around with diet changes, etc until her stool is confirmed to be negative for parasites.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#2]
5 months... Maybe by 5 months their appetite drops off but I just remember my boy attacking the food bowl when he was a pup. Growing dogs = huge appetites....

But ditto on above. Check for parasites, if negative then change her diet.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had two coworkers whose dogs both came down with giardia.  Have this dog checked out.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 4:18:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#5]
sounds good - she goes Saturday for some vaccines anyway... maybe we'll get a sample and have it looked at before then...

wife? (she's reading this I'm sure)
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on change diet.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:19:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had two coworkers whose dogs both came down with giardia.  Have this dog checked out.  
View Quote

Yup. Sounds like exactly what my Doberman went through when she had giardia.

Get that stool checked for parasites!!!
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#8]
her last stool sample wasn't too long ago and came back OK

she did scarf down on some chicken and rice (well, ate the chicken - pushed around the rice as able)..... vet is getting called tomorrow to see if they want a poop sample before or after they see her Saturday AM
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:34:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I apologize for not updating - we took her to the vet, they gave us some stomach medicine (that she thinks is a treat in a pill pocket - easy as pie to get her to take meds) and some prescription food - stool sample came back negative - at this point we're pretty sure it's the dry food we've been giving her... We're working on swapping it out.

We're also starting to think she's not dane/lab like we were told.... she has the temperament (and is growing up to look like) a weimaraner.....

she's also growing into quite the daddy's girl

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#10]
We tend to have some stomach issues with our girl. I have found that giving her a probiotic does seem to help. Whether its in my head or not, im not sure, but its worth a try. My brother also has bought dog food for his boys with a probiotic in it. I just do the pills from the store or on line.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top