Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 5/25/2014 7:53:38 PM EDT
I gave her food and water. She's skinny and it's kinda hot out. I pulled some ticks off of her. She is super friendly and is following me every where. Any one any idea what she could be? Local pound is closed until Tuesday. Wife and I are going to make posters and put them up tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#1]
if you can't find the owner. you found a new best friend
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Take her to the vet and see if she's got a chip
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Vets only taking emergencies until Tuesday. Had to be around a holiday  huh?
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not a dog person…  But that's a nice looking dog.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#5]
What she might be?

Your new dog, is what she might be.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#6]
qualify anyone that tries to claim her. make sure they have pictures of them and the dog so it does not wind up in the pot or a bait dog
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Well if she's still around in the morning, we will see how this progresses. I'm not pinning her encase she wants to go home.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Dingo.  It will eat your baby.

In all seriousness.

http://www.carolinadogs.com

Link Posted: 5/25/2014 9:03:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Generic "Yeller Dawg".
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Not sure, but she's pretty. She would definitely not be going to the pound if she showed up at my place.

If after a few days of trying to find the owner doesn't yield results, hit the vet for microchip check and checkup. No chip? She's your new companion.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#11]
reminds me of an old friend
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Looks like a foxy-dog. Very pretty. You might find an E-vet willing to just scan her for you if you call around. My pound was willing to scan and take a "found dog" report and let me hang on to my stray outside of usual intake hours, yours might too.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#13]
...a keeper
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 9:26:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Yours?

Congrats you have just been chosen.  Enjoy the new family member.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure, but she's pretty. She would definitely not be going to the pound if she showed up at my place.

If after a few days of trying to find the owner doesn't yield results, hit the vet for microchip check and checkup. No chip? She's your new companion.
View Quote

I live in an apartment and can't have pets. But rosejacket67 perfectly states my position if I could keep her.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 9:32:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like a new best friend to me. You treat that dog right, it will be more loyal and loving than any human will ever be.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, I'm kinda space limited...
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#18]
She looks like a sweetheart.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 12:31:53 AM EDT
[#19]
GSD/Yellow Lab mix?
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#20]
She didn't stick around so I really hope she went home. I'll keep an eye out for her though. She's such a sweetheart.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#21]
can't find an owner and she isn't chipped, i'm looking for a new dog. central texas but moving to virginia soon.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yours?

Congrats you have just been chosen.  Enjoy the new family member.
View Quote

+1 to that.  Dogs have a choice and you are it.  Wife unit sees Shepherd/Golden Retriever mix?
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 7:44:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does not matter how BIG of a room I am in - Both my bitches STILL want to be right under my armpit (or feet) at all times...
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 9:06:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

This?

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
She didn't stick around so I really hope she went home. I'll keep an eye out for her though. She's such a sweetheart.
View Quote

Hopefully good for her, too bad for you. That was a nice looking dog, reminded me of our male Sheltie, not in color, but the size and head.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 2:28:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Talked to the mail lady and she recognized the dog. The dog's home just over a couple Hills across the street and in the direction she went when she left my place.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Talked to the mail lady and she recognized the dog. The dog's home just over a couple Hills across the street and in the direction she went when she left my place.
View Quote

Maybe she liked you enough that she will visit, from time to time.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#28]
GSD/Dingo

I am joking about the Dingo, but actually most mutts that have been breeding for many generations all tend to look like a dingo. They are brown, medium to large in size, elongated snout, slightly coiled tail, etc.

I think one of those dogs bred with a GSD and gave you this one. Just my 0.02.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The wife and I hope so.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 2:26:43 AM EDT
[#30]
I'd suggest going to visit the neighbor.  Introduce yourself as a person who the dog came and visited for a while then disappeared, and that Mailman thinks the dog lived here so you were just checking to make sure the dog got home.

This is because you never know when a family had the house foreclosed on them and they just left and abandoned the dog, or some old person had the dog and died, or whatever.

Also, something to consider is this dog wandered into your life, but there are many dogs who need rescue, and need YOU to wander down to the local pound or rescue.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 2:36:29 AM EDT
[#31]
PS

My guess is she is

CHOW

X

GSD

Link Posted: 5/30/2014 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#32]
All "breeds" come from "Just Dog" and the ancestral type, if you will, displays traits of many of the breeds developed from it over time.

Just because she has GSD and Chow characteristics, in no way means she is a GSD/Chow cross.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 2:14:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

All "breeds" come from "Just Dog" and the ancestral type, if you will, displays traits of many of the breeds developed from it over time.

Just because she has GSD and Chow characteristics, in no way means she is a GSD/Chow cross.
View Quote
That's not true.

First off, while it is true that in many areas where dogs are left to fend for themselves, after generations those populations have reverted to a certain size, general coloration, and general body build, ALL dogs are 'just dogs' be they the Pariah type or not.

Second, if the traits of a breed are uncommon to find or just not present in many breeds, no amount of mixing those breeds that lack that gene will cause it to magically appear just because you mix for enough generations. You take a GSD, black lab, bloodhound, standard size poodle,  doberman and a husky and drop them off someplace and let them breed free for 100 years, when you come back you won't find anything that has the legs of a daschund, smushed face of a bulldog, or distinctive coloration of a dalmatian.

Third, any time a dog has the characteristics of breed A and B, you cannot conclude that it comes from breed A and B.  That's why I included 'guess'.

Fourth, just because you can't know for sure, doesn't exclude the high likelyhood that a dog that has the characteristics of A and B isn't that way because it had A for a mom and B for a dad.  Right now, looking at how prevalent and relatively inexpensive  'papered' dogs are thanks to puppy mills being able to churn them out cheaply and how many people think 'if my dog has papers and down the block a ways their dog is of the same breed and has papers, we should make puppies!'  AND because of the general ship away from rural to urban communities,  I think that MOST mutts in the USA are 1, 2, or 3 generations removed form a 'purebred' vs the 10 or so generations you'd see in a Pariah Landrace.

Fifth, I believe at least part of the reason why the various Pariah Landraces found around the world look so similar isn't because they are all expressing the "True 'Just Dog' DNA Profile' but that they like any other BREED or LANDRACE are expressing just those genes that natural selection states gives them the best chance of living in that environment, and that most of the areas where populations of Pariah dogs are found are very similar. Whenever you have two distinct non-crossbreeding  populations living in climatologically similar areas filling the same ecological niche and using similar techniques to do so while facing similar risks, don't be surprised when natural selection produces two very similar creatures.

Dogs on the midden heaps found in India and those found in Brazil look so similar not because each is reverting back to some 'just dog' ancestral type, but because living on refuse in a hot land selects toward a neutral color that blends in well, a medium size for both food, reproduction, and temperature control reasons, a mid-length muzzle for utilitarian reasons, pricked or semi-pricked ears because hound type ears don't aid in any way and can cause issues, etc etc etc.  These share similarities with ancient dogs because those dogs were doing the same thing just separated by time vs oceans.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That's not true.  

First off, while it is true that in many areas where dogs are left to fend for themselves, after generations those populations have reverted to a certain size, general coloration, and general body build, ALL dogs are 'just dogs' be they the Pariah type or not.

Second, if the traits of a breed are uncommon to find or just not present in many breeds, no amount of mixing those breeds that lack that gene will cause it to magically appear just because you mix for enough generations. You take a GSD, black lab, bloodhound, standard size poodle,  doberman and a husky and drop them off someplace and let them breed free for 100 years, when you come back you won't find anything that has the legs of a daschund, smushed face of a bulldog, or distinctive coloration of a dalmatian.

Third, any time a dog has the characteristics of breed A and B, you cannot conclude that it comes from breed A and B.  That's why I included 'guess'.

Fourth, just because you can't know for sure, doesn't exclude the high likelyhood that a dog that has the characteristics of A and B isn't that way because it had A for a mom and B for a dad.  Right now, looking at how prevalent and relatively inexpensive  'papered' dogs are thanks to puppy mills being able to churn them out cheaply and how many people think 'if my dog has papers and down the block a ways their dog is of the same breed and has papers, we should make puppies!'  AND because of the general ship away from rural to urban communities,  I think that MOST mutts in the USA are 1, 2, or 3 generations removed form a 'purebred' vs the 10 or so generations you'd see in a Pariah Landrace.

Fifth, I believe at least part of the reason why the various Pariah Landraces found around the world look so similar isn't because they are all expressing the "True 'Just Dog' DNA Profile' but that they like any other BREED or LANDRACE are expressing just those genes that natural selection states gives them the best chance of living in that environment, and that most of the areas where populations of Pariah dogs are found are very similar. Whenever you have two distinct non-crossbreeding  populations living in climatologically similar areas filling the same ecological niche and using similar techniques to do so while facing similar risks, don't be surprised when natural selection produces two very similar creatures.

Dogs on the midden heaps found in India and those found in Brazil look so similar not because each is reverting back to some 'just dog' ancestral type, but because living on refuse in a hot land selects toward a neutral color that blends in well, a medium size for both food, reproduction, and temperature control reasons, a mid-length muzzle for utilitarian reasons, pricked or semi-pricked ears because hound type ears don't aid in any way and can cause issues, etc etc etc.  These share similarities with ancient dogs because those dogs were doing the same thing just separated by time vs oceans.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not true.  

No disrespect, but I found that horribly confusing ... could you condense and summarize?
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#35]
It looks like a red heeler proper name australian cattle dog. But without a bently mark on top of it's head. Some don't. It may not be a pure bread but I'd say definitely some acd in there.

Those that were saying dingo were not far off they were bred with herding dogs and dingoes  :)  they come blue or red. Best dogs ever.

I'm almost certain it's an acd.

Red heeler here

http://www.dogguide.net/dog-pictures/pictures/red-heeler/
Page General » Pets
Top Top