Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2014 7:24:41 PM EDT
Just got a 7 week old black lab and want to feed him a good dog food. I bought a 15 lb bag of Purina Puppy Chow to try It out to see If he likes It. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I breed and show dogs in AKC events nationwide. I have 11 dogs currently and feed them a modified BARF diet...

In the morning I feed them raw chicken drumsticks. A 30 pound whippet gets 2 drumsticks. In the evening I feed them Dick Van Paten's Natural Balance Limited Ingredient kibble in either bison or venison. I have one bitch with allergies and she gets raw rabbit in the morning and Natural Balance potato and Rabbit kibble.

I have followed this diet for years and have too many champions to count.

The raw chicken gives them lots of calcium from the bone and they love the marrow.

NEVER feed your dog cooked chicken or beef bones as they will splinter and injure your dog.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:13:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Blue buffalo wilderness puppy.  

What my lab ate before switching to the adult version.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Raw prey model diet.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#4]
My 9 mo yellow lab puppy was started on Purina puppy chow,  and I've kept him on it for the last seven months and am now switching him over to a premium adult kibble (Nature's Recipe).  He's thrived on the premium Purina PC, he likes it, his bowells function properly at at 95 lbs and climbing its difficult to see how he could have done better on anything else.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Blue buffalo wilderness puppy.  

What my lab ate before switching to the adult version.
View Quote

My Dachshund loves this. In the morning I mix it with hot water and at nights sometmes I put coconut oil in it. He looks waterproof now he is so shiny.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just got a 7 week old black lab and want to feed him a good dog food. I bought a 15 lb bag of Purina Puppy Chow to try It out to see If he likes It. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
View Quote

A dog that is healthy to begin with can tolerate that just fine. (purina)

You will get firmer and more 'regular' (predictable) turds with a better food.

I did Eukanuba as puppies - No complaints.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#7]
This is always such a crapshoot. I recently asked the same question for my new Akita pup. At the end of the day, try to buy something grain-free that your puppy thrives on. The most important thing is that the amount of protein causes your dog to grow at the correct rate and doesn't starve him.

FWIW we are feeding Eagle Pack Holistic Select puppy chow.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is always such a crapshoot. I recently asked the same question for my new Akita pup. At the end of the day, try to buy something grain-free that your puppy thrives on. The most important thing is that the amount of protein causes your dog to grow at the correct rate and doesn't starve him.

FWIW we are feeding Eagle Pack Holistic Select puppy chow.
View Quote

Mine get a LOT of fresh eggs (scrambled) added to their kibble.

Damn chickens produce much more than I can handle myself...

Sweet Potatoes and Green Beans going in with the kibble tonight - Bitches WILL freak out when they get this...
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I got my dog blue buffalo wilderness and he LOVES it.

Then per arfcoms recommendations I tried taste of the wild, my dog does not like it at all.

I will be going back to bb.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Blue Buffalo Wilderness is probably the best retail store food. With that said, the only issues that have came up with folks feeding this is that the high rich protein can be harsh on the stomachs of sensitive dogs. Often people try to feed high protein to non-active dogs. Your lab being a lab should be perfect for such diet. The best food would be any BLUE BUFFALO. The Wilderness line of BB is the Grain Free High Protein version of their standard line of food.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:07:15 PM EDT
[#11]
My Belgian Malinois eats Manitok. It's what work gives me and all of our dogs are on it. Definitely worth checking out.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#12]
North Korea is best dog food.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude, that's not funny. Have you seen some of the shit that goes down there with dogs?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:41:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Dude, that's not funny. Have you seen some of the shit that goes down there with dogs?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't worry.  Puppy food only made with humans.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Nothing sold in a grocery store.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nothing sold in a grocery store.
View Quote

BS, chicken drumsticks can be found for $1 a lb here, nothing beats raw diet.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Used Wellness and Blue Buffalo until they're old enough for Nature's Domain.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#18]
+1 for Blue Buffalo.

Don't freak out when you see the price - if you aren't used to the higher quality foods like this, your dog will eat quite a bit less of it than the cheap foods.  Added bonus - less poop for you to pick up

/poop thread
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top