Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 2/18/2014 3:51:01 PM EDT
After surviving cancer Athena decided to tear her ACL on Sunday.  Just got back from one vet, they gave her some pain meds and quoted $400 for x-rays plus $25-3500 for the surgery.  I would do anything for her, but I don't think I can come up with that kind of money on short notice.  She weighs in at 55lbs, and they told me that puts her at the cutoff for the less expensive wire surgery as it wouldn't last.  She is around 12, I would think that it would last for the few years she has left since she is just barely over the weight limit?  I have an appointment for another vet on Thursday that does payment plans, but I'm expecting to hear the same as the vet said today unless they would be willing to do the wire repair.  I also found a company online making knee braces, and I was wondering if anyone here had experience with them or any other treatment options besides surgery?
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#1]
You would be amazed at how well some dogs do with strict cage rest (8+ weeks) and anti-inflammatories. For many, surgery is not an option and I have seen several dogs do very well with the "conservative" approach of rest and nsaids.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#2]
That's what I've been doing so far, but she get so excited to see us it's hard to keep her under control when we let her out.  She is 55lbs. of Boxer and Pitbull energy, she usually runs up 8 foot tall brick walls and hangs off the top so being stuck in a cage isn't easy for her.  I did notice she was trying to put more weight on her foot after I gave her an anti-inflammatory but I just can't stand to see her hobbling around when she is usually more active than dogs half her age.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#3]
One of my boxers is almost 70lbs and had a double acl repair with the fishing line method. 4 years later she is still doing great
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 10:22:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Could you tell me the name of the vet who did your dog's surgery if they are in Phoenix, and what was the cost?  I know your dog had double surgery, as it a 50/50 split or was one leg more expensive than the other?
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Our former gsd had a tear, surgery recommended.  Second opinion was for laser therapy, meds and rest and she recovered fully.  That was for a small tear, surgery cost quotes the same.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 1:45:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I can't help you out with pricing or anything like that in the AZ area, but my pit has had both knees done.  Right knee was last February and the left was done just this past Monday.  Up here, it was about $3,000 total per knee, but that did include everything.  I think the TTA surgery itself was $1800 per knee.  My dog is pushing 10 years old and is otherwise healthy as a horse.  The money wasn't an issue for me, but both times my vet recommended a company that offers no-interest loans if the loan is paid off in 6 months.  I didn't take advantage but I can see if I have the info if you'd like.  The TTA surgery went very well and aside from the scar, you wouldn't know that she'd had the first one done.  She tore around like a mad dog after her recovery period and rehab routine.  I expect the same this time around.

Gratuitous post-surgery pic...
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#7]
My 85 lb lab had the extracapsular (fishing line) surgery done when she was 2.5 years old.  It was about $1,200..pkg deal, follow-ups, meds, everything included.  We went with the anti-inflammatories when it first happened (Thanksgiving day), and all seemed good until she landed funny while playing catch 4 months later.  The vet, after the surgery, said she had 2 other ligament tears that seemed to be healing nicely, she had significant arthritic build-up (that he ground.scraped away), her meniscus was torn so he trimmed it, and her CCL was completely gone...he couldn't find one fiber of it.  She broke the fishing line on the first one, but we didn't figure it out until 8+ months so he said to just watch it, so it took a little longer to heal that one (2 years before she quit limping).

She had the other knee done a couple years later.  Different doctor did this one, and he used a different materia (no stretch), and a different binding pattern (Z-shape instead of the figure-8).  This one only cost $825 or 850...only had one follow up with the doctor on that one (probably since we were old hands at the recovery this time).  6 months she was all good.

Everything is great now.  For reference, this was a seriously active 2.5 year old puppy that I had to throw the ball to for 3+ hours a day to wear her out...of course this may have partially resulted in the injuries, developing bones and joints and all.  And, she never slowed down or showed any pain, except for the limping/nnot-bearing weight.  She limped out to the truck when we left the vet's office two hours after the surgery...I did pick her up and put her in the truck .

ETA, she'll be nine in a couple weeks, so her knees are holding up pretty well.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 5:12:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Good info. The dobe I just rescued likely needs an acl surgery. I preparing myself for a 1000-2000 bill, one vet said it would probably heal on its own, but it sure looks swollen and painful. Taking him to lsu vet school in a few days so we shall see.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:58:15 AM EDT
[#9]
What did you end up doing?  

I am a little surprised  at the prices that have been paid.  I guess it varies quite a bit depending on where you are.   The dog in my avatar tore up both of her back legs while she was a live.   The were a couple years apart, but the total for both was several hundred less than $3000.   The second surgery was much more expensive than the first.  It was done with a new method that was developed since the first was done.   I don't remember all of the details, but I thought it involved a prosthetic piece being inserted.  

The vet told us there was a chance they could be injured again.  However, both held just fine for several years until she passed last summer.  

Whatever you decided to do.. I hope it worked out.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#10]
My giant schnauzer (120-130lbs) would limp badly and carry his leg around most of the time particularly when he just got up. My vet figured he was playing around and tweaked something so put him on Synovi G3 supplements for arthritis. After several weeks of him not getting better  I took him to 3 different orthos and had xrays done and they said he had arthritis and a torn acl in his left rear knee.
Two of the orthos said he needed TPLO which is pretty damn invasive IMO since they saw the end of his leg bone off and screw it back on. The 3rd one said he could do a double run of the artificial ligament but it would likely fail in time. I was not happy with any of the options considering he was 7+ years old at the time and the recovery would be long and hard for him.  I started doing some reading and figured I would try less invasive methods first. For one thing from what I read the artificial ligament method is expected to wear out and fail but that by then there should be enough scar tissue to stabilize the joint. The ligament just stabilizes the joint long enough for that to happen. This is just what I read so take it for what its worth.
I decided to try restriction and if that didnt help a knee brace. I also have continued the supplements. No idea how much of a role they play in all this but they get stellar reviews for helping old arthritic dogs feel better.
I don't recall how long it took with the restriction but it wasnt more than a couple months before he was walking normally. I wasn't super strict with him but we do not play fetch with his ball at least not in the traditional sense as he will tear ass full tilt across the yard after it and I think thats how he hurt it in the first place.  For a couple months we would just not leave him outside more than a short potty break and sniff around the yard. Technically for restriction I should have not lot him outside while not on a leash because he would still run some. At any rate its been a year or so now and he seems to be 100%. I still don't  encourage him to go flying around the yard but he does run around on our acre and a half and when Im outside he gets all goofy and hops and jumps and pounces like a puppy with no indication of knee issues so I am pretty happy with my decision not to have him sawed on. I'm sure not everyone will have the same results.

Here is the link that got me to thinking surgery might not be the answer.
http://www.tiggerpoz.com/
Page General » Pets
Top Top