Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2013 9:21:42 AM EDT
Currently I have my carpet python in a tall 55 gallon aquarium.  I know glass aquariums are not the best setups for snakes, so I'm finally thinking about either building or buying something better.

The tank he's in now is pretty good for his size, he's about 4.5 ft long right now.  So I'm thinking about something similar in size, maybe a little bigger.

The other problem I've been facing is the depth of the tank he's in.  Its a PITA to get to his water bowl with all of the perches going across the tank, etc.

I also have a 5 ft ball python in a wide 55 gallon aquarium.  So depending on the direction I go, I'll probably end up moving him as well.

So what I'm looking for is a plastic/wood tank with sliding glass doors in the front.  Another plus would be able to "stack" the enclosures.  I've seen this done in big collection rooms/breeder rooms, so I would like a setup like this, I just don't know where to look into this.  Any help, or somewhere to look, or to start would be great.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't keep snakes anymore, but this was my preference when I did...
Vision Cages
I had several specimens and the stackable configuration really helped out with space.
I piped in a misting system for the species that require high humidity, as I live in the desert.
They are very secure since the sliding glass doors can be locked and there are no seams or lids that can be pushed open.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I don't keep snakes anymore, but this was my preference when I did...
Vision Cages
I had several specimens and the stackable configuration really helped out with space.
I piped in a misting system for the species that require high humidity, as I live in the desert.
They are very secure since the sliding glass doors can be locked and there are no seams or lids that can be pushed open.

Those do look great, but DAMN they're expensive.  Thanks for the link though, I guess a nice enclosure is just going to be expensive no matter which route I take.
Its actually the sizes that I would need that are the killer.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#3]
You could also look into boaphile cages. They're kind of like the vision cages. I've kept my carpet python in one for years and its worked well. boaphileplastics.com
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzjeJKYNqwf5rxz29WBz7ZBsq9hBOLc_rxo8ee0gATPhzfibnCqQ
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 6:54:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Build a cage out of plywood there are many sites on how to do this
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Build a cage out of plywood there are many sites on how to do this

Building a cage out of plywood would be easy and cheap, but I think I'm liking the whole acrylic/pvc cages a little better  The weight savings and temperature control seem to be amazing.  

The problem that I've found is that the cost of the materials to build these cages almost makes it worth it just to buy them pre-made.  

Beetle: I hadnt seen those boaphile cages, so thanks for that link!  Those look pretty good.
   Are you using radiant heat panels inside them?  
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#6]
The main thing to consider before using plywood is the appropriate humidity level for the species you are keeping.
If you like the arboreal boas that I kept, plywood is absolutely not the correct material.
Even if using plywood, you're going to want to seal the interior surfaces.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Get those metal frame tool towers and add plexiglass and hinges.  Worked for me for years
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the help guys.

I just finished this tonight, so I figured I'd post a picture.

Some details: its a mix of 1x3's, plywood, paint, polycrilic, silicone, plexiglass.
Using ceramic heat emitters(when they get here), t-stat, mistking mister, 24" fluorescents.  
The tarantula section(not setup yet) is on the right, the jungle carpet python is on the top, and the ball python is on the bottom.
Thats about it, thanks again guys!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top