User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 7:00:59 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

What type of food are you feeding him? Most all pet food you find at the grocery store contains lots of by products, grains and filler which is more than likely what's making him over weight.

Link Posted: 7/10/2013 10:17:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Do umm.. how much hear loss do dogs get when they are around gun fire.. same as or worse than people?  

probably a lot... Doesnt seem smart to me.  We use to take puppys out while we shot skeet, to get them used to it for hunting.  But there is a big difference in rifle/pistol and birdshot out of a 26" barrel or .22
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 5:14:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, Baby Hannah is born and is home:

Diesel gave her a few sniffs on the way in, a few more when she made some noise.

I think he gets the idea:

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 8:51:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Congrats OP!
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 9:15:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Jager approves

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Diesel is not so sure about this new addition:

You can see the skepticism in his face.

None of us are sleeping great, so we do a lot of this:

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok dudes, I need some help.

The dieseldog has crusty spots around the perimeter of his ears. They don't appear to itch, but he doesn't like me messing with them either. He's had them for a while, and when I pointed it out to the vet the last time he was like "eh, it's just dermatitis, nothing to worry about" but it's gotten worse. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Possibly caused by food allergy. Does he have any other dryness or is he scratching all over a lot? Might look in to giving him some fish oil in his diet if he's scratching otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 3:03:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Possibly caused by food allergy. Does he have any other dryness or is he scratching all over a lot? Might look in to giving him some fish oil in his diet if he's scratching otherwise.
View Quote
No other itchiness. We bathe him twice a month with a sensitive skin shampoo and he has no dandruff or itchiness.

We did have him on a fish oil supplement for a while, then we ran out, I think we might put him back on it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's a picture:

Scabies mites? Or just dry skin?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#11]
He is ADORABLE! and he was free? Even better.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 1:59:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

He is ADORABLE! and he was free? Even better.
View Quote
I tell everyone we won the dog lottery. He is affectionate, obedient, energetic (but not destructive!) and just has the most tender heart of anyone I've ever met. Person, dog, or otherwise. He's the perfect size, right around 60 pounds of lean muscle. He would walk through hell to play with his chuck-it. He doesn't bark unless he senses an "interloper" (which most of the time is completely harmless but still). He's never met a stranger, he loves people and adoooores children.

We have a 3 month old now, and if she's playing on her playmat, sometimes Diesel will grab his ball, trot right past us, drop the ball by her hand, and then lay down. He waits there patiently for her to pick up the ball and throw it. Of course, eventually Mrs. Therex or myself will pick it up and throw it for him, but he always seems just a little bit disappointed when she doesn't throw the ball. Soon, little buddy. :)

If you're lying on the love seat, you will soon have this right next to you:

Link Posted: 10/30/2013 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Also, I've sort of ruled out scabies mites. A: he's on Advantage II, which would likely kill them. B: we snuggle with this little dude all the time, and neither Mrs. Therex nor myself have caught any. C: there's no other signs of it anywhere.

I think I'm just going to clean his ears really well next bath time (he doesn't normally get them washed real well) and keep an eye on them. Maybe some vaseline?
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Get Vetricin. It works on just about everything skin related. Completely safe. You can get it at Coastal, Wilco, most any feed supply store. Its cheap and by far the best topical Ive used on all our animals.
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 9:02:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Chuck-it balls must have a distinct smell, cuz dieseldawg went apeshit when he smelled 'em through the wrapping paper.

Link Posted: 2/19/2014 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Someone loved the snow!

Link Posted: 2/26/2014 1:20:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No other itchiness. We bathe him twice a month with a sensitive skin shampoo and he has no dandruff or itchiness.    

We did have him on a fish oil supplement for a while, then we ran out, I think we might put him back on it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, bathing twice a month is overkill. The dog's skin produces oils that are actually good. Every 4-6 weeks is recommended time between baths, otherwise you risk drying out the skin and running into other issues.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 1:10:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Dude, bathing twice a month is overkill. The dog's skin produces oils that are actually good. Every 4-6 weeks is recommended time between baths, otherwise you risk drying out the skin and running into other issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dang!  I bathe,  blow dry, deshed, my dog once a week.

I can't stand shedding.

I use a moisturizing shampoo,and a cream rinse.  It keeps him from getting dandruff or dry skin.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Got Diesel a new tag, his old one was getting a bit ragged.

Link Posted: 3/2/2014 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Wassup BIG D welcome to ARF!!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Finally had enough of his ears (you can't even touch them, he gets irritated) that I took him to the vet. vet did a scraping, didn't find any mites but prescribed us a course of extra strength anti parasite "gel" (like advantix). We're to give that to him when it comes, then 2 weeks later, then 4 weeks after that, and call him if it doesn't clear up.

If that doesn't work the only thing the vet can think of is poor circulation in his ears, but I might take him to some other vet for a second opinion if the "flea stuff" doesn't clear it up.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 2:21:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I love the look on Diesel's face(when the baby is sleeping).
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 8:28:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Dieseldawg has gotten much more used to baby:

She likes to play with the tags on his collar, and she is learning "slowly" that petting means stroking and not smacking.

He's still just a big furry baby though:

and not just MY furbaby either:

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Turns out after two trips to the vet I convinced the vet to do a culture and it's feckin' ringworm.

He's got a mousse for his ears, should clear up in 10 days.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#25]
something other than ringworm, putting vagisil on his ears for now, recommendation of the vet.

he also took a strip of fur off of his head today, cuz he's a silly pup, ran into some metal chasing a ball. lol

still the happiest pup in the world:

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:19:47 AM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#27]
this mutt, you guys:

Can't even play video games without him in my lap.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:10:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Diesel almost looks like my new pup.

His name is Neiko and we got him from Craigslist for $30.

Lady we got him from said his mother was a basset hound. He's.  4.5months now
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Diesel almost looks like my new pup.

View Quote

He's adorable!

I suspect there's some kind of hound somewhere in the bloodline of diesel. Let's be real, "Appalachian Porch Hounds" are the best dog breed.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

He's adorable!  

I suspect there's some kind of hound somewhere in the bloodline of diesel. Let's be real, "Appalachian Porch Hounds" are the best dog breed.
I'd have to agree. This poor little guy either had parvo when we got him or picked it up from the new house we'd just bought. He pulled through like a champ though. It just cost daddy an ACOG though.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Good looking pup.  Congratulations  
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:14:42 AM EDT
[#32]

This little dude, man. I don't know what I would have done without him these past weeks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:38:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Best of luck with him.

Sounds like you're both doing just fine.

Well this is my "first" dog, I had one as a kid but I didn't really train it. Any advice arfcommers want to give will be welcome. Right now I'm all "Oh shit, is this normal? Am I doing this right?"

Last night he slept in his crate. His previous owner would have him sleep in her bed, and then in the morning he would have trouble "making it out" before he'd pee. So last night whenever he would whine, I'd put his collar on, take him outside, he'd pee, and then I'd put him back in his crate. He'd whine for another, oh, 45 seconds and then be quiet for about 3 hours until I had to do it again. Is that SOP? I figure since he's a puppy, he's gotta pee a lot. Hell, I get up in the middle of the night to pee. I don't want to instill any bad habits (like getting my ass up 4 times a night) but I also don't want him to piss in his crate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
What a handsome little guy.
Best of luck with him.

Sounds like you're both doing just fine.

Well this is my "first" dog, I had one as a kid but I didn't really train it. Any advice arfcommers want to give will be welcome. Right now I'm all "Oh shit, is this normal? Am I doing this right?"

Last night he slept in his crate. His previous owner would have him sleep in her bed, and then in the morning he would have trouble "making it out" before he'd pee. So last night whenever he would whine, I'd put his collar on, take him outside, he'd pee, and then I'd put him back in his crate. He'd whine for another, oh, 45 seconds and then be quiet for about 3 hours until I had to do it again. Is that SOP? I figure since he's a puppy, he's gotta pee a lot. Hell, I get up in the middle of the night to pee. I don't want to instill any bad habits (like getting my ass up 4 times a night) but I also don't want him to piss in his crate.

If he is in a big crate block off most of it leaving him enough room to turn around and lay down. Helps a lot with potty training. My pup started off with every 2 hours 3 weeks ago and now I have him at 4-6 hours between going out to pee. Also cut water off completely a few hours before bed time, I go to bed between 11pm and midnight and I cut him off at 7pm.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:50:35 PM EDT
[#34]
"When he's outside walking, EVERYTHING fucking smells interesting. It's difficult to take him for a walk, because we have to stop for every pile of bird shit, every pebble, every blade of grass. Sometimes he gets it out of his system and the just trots along right beside us, leash nice and loose. I give him treats for that but damn if it can't be annoying."

Right now the only correction my pup is getting is the leave it correction, he is not allowed to pick up anything in his mouth as this is something that can save his life. If I didn't correct him he would already have been in for a bowel obstruction as he tries to eat every object he sees. Prong collar works the best for getting the point across that they don't get to mouth it unless I let them have it. When they try to mouth something jerk on the leash and tell them leave it, every jerk gets harder until they walk away, do not pull them away make them walk away, even if you have to make them yelp from the prong collar.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

If he is in a big crate block off most of it leaving him enough room to turn around and lay down. Helps a lot with potty training. My pup started off with every 2 hours 3 weeks ago and now I have him at 4-6 hours between going out to pee. Also cut water off completely a few hours before bed time, I go to bed between 11pm and midnight and I cut him off at 7pm.

View Quote
After nearly 4 years, Dieseldawg is pretty well housebroken.

Still likes to sniff everything, though. :) I haven't had to lock him in his crate for like a year now, in fact the only time he gets locked in is when my daughter closes the door on him and holds it shut. He's a Good Boy.

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 3:07:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Puppy! The pic with daglet holding a ball in mouth is priceless.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:04:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Give him treats while shooting.  It'll help distill the shots are a good thing.  Then there are some that don't get used to it.  Some people recommend shooting a 22 while feeding and graduate up to louder things.
View Quote

start with bubble wrap while feeding use it to call him for meals
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top