Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a bad read, I enjoyed them, I've read all three in the series now.  A little once in awhile.  Another one of those SHTF type books.  As long as you go into it knowing it's entertainment that's supposed to make you think a little about "what if SHTF", not necessarily a manual on how to survive.

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 3:35:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Horse Soldiers about the 5th Special Forces in Afghanistan.
Great read.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 10:57:30 PM EDT
[#3]
"Old Mans War" by John Scalzi
Sci-fi and soldiers
Pretty entertaining overall.   Not so much for the sequels.
Link Posted: 5/22/2013 5:46:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Surprised no one said Louis L'amour its western but good. My favorite of is Flint was able to find a special hard back edition years ago and I treasure it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#5]
The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Constitution has been an excellent read so far, if not a bit depressing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 2:26:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Powderfinger] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By peace_keeper81:
Surprised no one said Louis L'amour its western but good. My favorite of is Flint was able to find a special hard back edition years ago and I treasure it.
View Quote

I used to enjoy some L'Amour in the past. Have you read any of the Johnstone "Mountain Man" series? Smoke Jensen is the focal character, preceeded by Preacher, who taught him to survive in the "high lonesome."
The link is to give an indication of some of the books. You can probably pick up used paperbacks for pennies on Amazon or ebay though.
Johnstone wrote a large body of other books too.
http://williamjohnstone.net/new-2011/LastMtnMan.html

There is also a more hard core series of westerns by George Gilman. He writes of the character "Edge". I read through a grocery bag full of Edge books my cousin dropped off years ago.
Available used, cheap also.
http://rjdent.wordpress.com/2008/10/26/george-g-gilmans-edge-a-new-kind-of-western-hero/

I've been reading The Essential of Beer Style by Fred Eckhardt. It's a bit dated (1989) in that the profiles of the commercial brews he lists are lacking, with the vast mushrooming of micro-breweries of late.
There is a ton of basic beer knowledge inside, though.
I picked it up to intelligently debate the "more is better" crowd who think crazily over-hopped IPAs are the end all, be all of great brewing.
No one is going to serve a real IPA until they take an un-refrigerated wooden keg of highly hopped ale (it was hopped heavily to simply help preserve it) on a constantly rolling sailing ship through equatorial heat twice and once through the cold of the southern Horn of Africa; tapping it 1-2 years later.

Link Posted: 9/30/2013 9:38:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 12:07:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Recently I've been into WWII books written by individuals who took part in it. Just finished this one, it's a good read. I actually read it straight through, cover to cover.

I Flew For The Fuhrer
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:34:50 AM EDT
[#9]
One of the best books I've ever read. Tells the larger story of the liberation of Paris through many small, personal accounts of people involved. More than once I had to pause and put the book down to kind of think about what I had just read and let it sink in. Highly recommend.

Is Paris Burning
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:14:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By Andrewphillipf:

I finished "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas a couple weeks ago.

It was by far the greatest book that I've ever read.  I suspect that many of you have already been on this journey, but if you haven't, pick it up.  

Make sure to get an unabridged version.
View Quote

Awesome book, one of my favorites.  I read it every couple of years.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 2:58:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Great read. Funny, witty stuff. And this coming from a guy who just doesn't read fiction.

My Affair With Stalin

Even better if you read this one first!

Stalin: Court of the Red Tsar
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Andrewphillipf:
I finished "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas a couple weeks ago.

It was by far the greatest book that I've ever read.  I suspect that many of you have already been on this journey, but if you haven't, pick it up.  

Make sure to get an unabridged version.
View Quote

I've read this book at least 3 times, and concur.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 6:31:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotMrWizard] [#13]
If anyone is interested in history, specifically the settling of the Ohio River Valley area, Allen Eckert has some very good books.

The Frontiersmen
That Dark and Bloody River: Chronicles of the Ohio River Valley
A Sorrow in our Heart: The life of Tecumseh

He uses heavily from the Lyman Draper manuscripts.  He was a historian who interviewed many early settlers, collecting notes from the period from mid 1700's to the early 1800's.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I could recommend hundreds based on the subject matter. This will be required reading by all my sons. "Liberty The God That Failed," by Christopher Ferrara

Link Posted: 6/27/2014 2:00:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Spartanatheart] [#15]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:01:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Without Remorse. By Tom Clancy. I've read this book at least three times.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:13:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Indeed.  Couldn't agree more.  All of Sowell's books are good reads.  Insightful, informative and very well written.   I would also suggest the following by Sowell :  The Quest for Cosmic Justice, Race and Culture a World View, Conquests and Culture, The Vision of the Anointed.    He's one of the finest intellectuals this country has ever produced.  Look him up on YouTube as well.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:31:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Recommend:
Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Level Zero Heroes by  Michael Golembesky was a great read...highly recommended.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:11:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tre] [#20]
Not a big reader but my father wrote a book an it was actually very good.  Death Beneath Their Feet.

Paperback is on Amazon and available as ebook on several outlets.

https://www.amazon.com/Death-Beneath-Their-Charles-Enscoe/dp/0996103007/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409576923&sr=8-1&keywords=death+beneath+their+feet
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting by Brian Litz. Very good book on external ballistics. very detailed and many formulas to back up his reasoning. Two Thumbs Up!!!
Also designed a Ballistic Calculator Software that is great also.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#22]
"Snow and Steel", a history of the Battle of the Bulge by Peter Caddick-Adams.

Peter Caddick-Adams has written a very good and well-detailed overview of the history of the Battle of the Bulge.  His book includes much thoughtful analysis and succeeds in fitting the many aspects of this complex battle into a complete situational context.  It is written in a way that conveys the warm sense of fraternity that British born Caddick Adams shares with his colleagues in the U.S. Armed Forces.
The book breaks the battle down into segments arranged around the three primary sectors of the front as seen from the perspective of the attacking forces, starting from the south; Southern Flank (Brandenberger/7th Army), Central Axis (Manteuffel/5th Army) and Northern Flank (Dietrich/6th Army).
There is good detailed discussion of the make-up of these forces, their capabilities, strengths and weaknesses as well as their objectives and their progress as they engage the American units opposing them.  The same analysis is provided for those opposing U.S. forces in a well balanced, complete picture overview.
The battle is analyzed from the perspective of tactical, operational and strategic objectives and overall assessments are made regarding the original feasibility and successes/failures of the offensive.
Caddick-Adams spends some, but limited time, describing individual unit’s and individual soldier’s actions.  This is not a history in the format of a personal war diary, but it does not completely neglect this aspect of the history, either.  Primarily, this is a big picture overview with enough detail to substantiate the author’s overall conclusions.  This book is an excellent place to start for anyone interested in World War II history, but without a good grounding in any of the major aspects of this particular battle.

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Civilian Warriors by Eric Prince himself. Excellent book. Eye opening even for veterans. I could go on but trust me, worth the read.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Thirteen by Richard K. Morgan
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#25]
The Book Of Honor

One of the best books I have ever read. Damn  
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
This book is actually something that was something on my 7th grader's summer reading list, but don't be deceived - it's not what I would call a kid's book at all. It has many elements of 1984, Logan's Run, etc. - it's so disturbing to me that I'm considering not finishing it.

The Giver
View Quote

Great book! Disturbing. Surprised it's a "children's book"! I listened to it on audio made it even better.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 1:34:17 AM EDT
[#27]
I think one of the most amazing books I have read yet has been Fearless.

Book summery below, I don't think I posted any spoilers, as most is on the back summery.

It tells the story of a young man, who looses his path and ends up becoming a full fledged crack addict, only to turn his life around and join the Navy Seals. He looses an eye in training and goes on to become the first person to make it through Seal Sniper school with only one eye, But he isn't done there, he pushes for his dream of making the famed ST6 DEVGRU. It was a truly powerful book. I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Reading "Cold Mountain" right now.  Pretty good read so far.  Very well written.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:41:02 PM EDT
[#29]
ARISEN series by Michael Stephen Fuchs. 12 books in the series so far. After the first book I got hooked. I'm on book 10 right now. It's another zombie apocalypse series but the story line and character development is pretty good. It has a military bend to it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Any of the Jack Reacher books are great!

You don't have to think of Tom Cruse as playing the lead role!
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By THeGiant573:

You don't have to think of Tom Cruse as playing the lead role!
View Quote
I have read I think 5 of the Jack Reacher books. I think I am done. The character is too perfect and not really compelling anymore. But glad you enjoy them.

Lately I've been reading a lot of Jo Nesbo. Specifically the Harry Hole (pronounced Hula) series

The Redbreast - Nemesis - Devil's Star - The Redeemer - The Snowman - etc

It really helps to read them in order. Norwegian Crime-noire.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Thank you!  I was afraid that "Atlas Shrugged" wasn't on the list, and was going to have to add it myself.

For those of you who might flinch at a 1069 pg novel, you can also try "Anthem" by Ayn Rand, which is of the same philosophy, but much shorter and easier to read.  If you like what you see, move on to Atlas.

Don't skip to the movies, they were low budget, and not spectacular.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#33]
I just finished Survival Theory: A Preparedness Guide by Jonathan Hollerman, it was fantastic.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Just started Conflicted Home by A AMERICAN the previous 8 books in the series have been Fantastic and hard to put down
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#35]
I am re-reading, Company Commander-MacDonald.

I had forgotten what an awesome book this is. It was written soon after the events occurred, so there is no pomp and circumstance that time tends to add to old stories. Brutally honest book.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Echo in Ramadi is an excellent read about the USMC and Echo Co in the second battle of Ramadi written by their CO, in praise of his Marines vs some that like to praise themselves.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Just finished "Low Level Hell" by Hugh Mills. The story of his first tour as a scout pilot in Vietnam. Great book.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:15:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pawdog] [#38]
Just started Conflicted Home by A AMERICAN the previous 8 books in the series have been Fantastic and hard to put down
View Quote
Good series. I'm on book # 6, Enforcing Home.  Got four more to read in the series.  The author is currently in negotiations to film the series for television.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 11:02:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Recently finished James Tarr's Waiting for the Kick: Whorl Book Two.  Arfcom actually gets mentioned in the book!   The author is a USPSA shooter, and as a literary firearms snob I really have enjoyed the way Tarr approaches the action sequences.  He is able to create scenes that keep firearms usage within the actual physical limitations of guns, and what a master class USPSA shooter might be able to accomplish.  This is the first book I have ever read where an effort was spent to discuss dryfire sessions with proper use of a shot timer.   For anyone interested, I would start with the first book (Whorl), which also has some fun insight into the interesting world of fingerprints (hence the series name).
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:19:12 PM EDT
[#40]
I listen to books on Audible since I travel a lot for work, but a few of my favorites right now and you must listen to them to get more out of these books because the authors are narrating or helping narrate.

1) CAN'T HURT ME  by David Goggins
2) THE OPERATOR by Robert O'Neill
3) LIVING WITH A SEAL by Jesse Iztler (the SEAL is David Goggins)
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 11:31:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Easily, Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver. It is, without a doubt, my favorite book series and without a doubt think anyone who hasn't read them yet should at least consider giving them a try
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 6:09:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Anjlina65] [#42]
I recommend you read Michael Dadson's books. He specifically deals with all the psychology of a human being. I've even read books and journals. He has published several articles on the treatment and effects of trauma in academic journals and professional magazines. He has published 9 articles and presented over 40 papers, workshops, and posters at professional and community events. Dr. Dadson served as an Adjunct Professor at the University of British Columbia and an advisor to the Centre for Group Counselling and Trauma from 2014 -2018.
https://twitter.com/dadsonmichael
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 6:11:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Anjlina65] [#43]
I recommend you read Michael Dadson's books. He specifically deals with all the psychology of a human being. I've even read books and journals. He has published several articles on the treatment and effects of trauma in academic journals and professional magazines. He has published 9 articles and presented over 40 papers, workshops, and posters at professional and community events. Dr. Dadson served as an Adjunct Professor at the University of British Columbia and an advisor to the Centre for Group Counselling and Trauma from 2014 -2018.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Empire of the Summer Moon by S.C. Gwynne is pretty good.  It's about the last Comanche Indian chief, Quanah Parker.  It's a good history of the Comanches in general.  Nothing seems sugar coated or white washed on either side of the issue.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Couldn't agree more.  Anything by Dr. Sowell is worth reading.   Especially relevant today is The Quest for Cosmic Justice.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 9:13:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield
After finishing it I reread it again and then read it once more. Wasn't surprised that it was LT Michael P. Murphy's favorite book or that Paul Howe has it in his recommended reading list.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By steenroller:
Just finished "Low Level Hell" by Hugh Mills. The story of his first tour as a scout pilot in Vietnam. Great book.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/15/2021 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#48]
I like techno thrillers.

Michael Crichton type books.

Try any books by Preston & Child.

They also publish books independently under their own names.

Douglas Preston

Lincoln Child
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By THeGiant573:
View Quote

I agree!  I read the Jack Reacher books whenever I can.

The main character is no more perfect than any other book’s main character.  

Link Posted: 12/31/2021 12:56:04 AM EDT
[#50]
If you like military history, these are pretty good...

Lions of Kandahar - great read about Special Forces in the Kandahar Province of Afghanistan.
Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors - great read about the out gunned naval forces and battle off of Samar and Philippine Islands.
Ghost Soldiers - excellent read on POW's in the Pacific Theater of WW2.
A Higher Call - about a B-17 that was protected by an ME-109 pilot in WW2 and how they later became friends.
Lucky 666 - about the most decorated air crew in WW2.
Blind Man's Bluff - about sub espionage in the Cold War.
Carnivore - about a Bradley fighting vehicle and combat in Iraq.

I found all of these books hard to put down.
Page / 5
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top