Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2016 10:07:22 AM EDT
So I happened on him by total accident, I was looking for cultural references to a semmerling, and those turned out to be super rare.  His Repairman Jack series has the namesake character carrying one through all the early novels, in New York.  Plus there is some great discussion between him and his weapon supplier, Abe about views on gun rights.  This is one guy I don't see much discussion of, but I'd love to share thoughts with others who have read it, or encourage those who haven't to pick him up.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I happened on him by total accident, I was looking for cultural references to a semmerling, and those turned out to be super rare.  His Repairman Jack series has the namesake character carrying one through all the early novels, in New York.  Plus there is some great discussion between him and his weapon supplier, Abe about views on gun rights.  This is one guy I don't see much discussion of, but I'd love to share thoughts with others who have read it, or encourage those who haven't to pick him up.
View Quote

I had dinner with WIlson years ago.  Great guy, and yes, the Repairman Jack books are fantastic.  So are his other books in the Adversary Cycle, including The Touch and The Tomb.

Abe's black market weapon shop is named after A. E. Van Vogt's The Weapon Shops of Isher, a sci-fi book from the 50s that had a lot of discussion about the right to own weapons.  The sign in the shop "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free" is a quote from Van Vogt's book.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:13:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Interestingly, I never knew about Weapon Shops of Isher until reading this book, and just recently I read A. E. van Vogt and frankly, it was a pretty good story, from the 1950s.

I have thought he would be a cool guy to sit down with.  There was even a movie make of "The Keep" though I don't think many people remember that!
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got most or all of the books from the Repairman Jack series laying around here...

As for the Semmerling, I wanted one for years, ever since it first appeared in G&A when it was brand new on the market (think they may have been messing with a prototype or pre-production gun in writing that article).  Finally accepted the fact that I'm just not going to find one at a price I'm willing to live with.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 8:52:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Some excellent reads are Wilson's earlier science fiction novels:

"Wheels Within Wheels"
"An Enemy of the State"
"Healer"
and most of them collected in "The LaNague Chronicals".

"Enemy of the State" introduced the concept of "KYFO".  Keep Your "F***ing" Hands Off".
There are two groups of these people.
The Toliver's say KYFO...or we'll move away from you.
The Flinter's say KYFO......or we'll KILL YOU.
In "Enemy of the State" a Toliver is sent to a world on the path to invasion of their neighbors.  His job is to stop them, but he has to do it by Toliver standards, which is no violence.
He takes with him two people from Flint to provide protection.
Has some interesting parallels to America under Obama.

"Healer" is about an immortal man and the intelligent parasite that shares his brain.
There's something causing people to go catatonic, then there's bloody attacks that suddenly just appear from thin air.
Introduces the Ibizon double barrel canister fed auto shotgun firing end-over-end cylindrical shot.

"Wheels Within Wheels" has a wealthy man and his estranged daughter investigating his sons strange death on an alien world, and finding a man who can literally kill with his mind.

Read these and you'll wish Wilson hasn't confined himself to the Repairman Jack series.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I've read the whole series twice. I love them

I want a Semmerling
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Great series.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:51:44 AM EDT
[#7]
it's a good series, i've read them all. Not to spoil anything but I do feel let down how it ended
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 1:29:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
it's a good series, i've read them all. Not to spoil anything but I do feel let down how it ended
View Quote

Really? I thought it was great. Did you read the revised Nightworld? How else would it have ended?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:13:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not sure if what I read was the revised edition or not. I don't want to spoil anything for anyone but I found the whole last book rushed, I feel it was a jip the switch up with jack and the glacken as things were going the other way. Rasalom's transformation took the whole book and then it was over. plus the fight at the end was kind of formulaic.
Don 't get me wrong, I liked the series. I just thought it would end better than it did. I loved what happened to that guy( leader of that movement ) it's been years and I don't remember his name.
All & all I do recommend this series.
PS; the second to last book was great and I really liked bloodlines

Quoted:

Really? I thought it was great. Did you read the revised Nightworld? How else would it have ended?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 1:16:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I read a couple of his books, they were good reads.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Some one in the htf turned me on to them around last december.  Grabbed them all off of ebay and finished around june.  Just pulled them off the shelf to take to the thrift store this morning.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top