Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2016 8:45:58 PM EDT
So in a few weeks I'm going to be taking a 22 hour trip to Texas from North Dakota! I bought a set of Mike Church audio when I was a police officer and loved hearing about how our country was founded I just bought "The Times That Try Mens Souls" about General Washington's crossing the Delaware! So far all his audio has been great!

So what I'm looking for are more audio books like this about history! Only have now about 8 hours worth of audio so looking for more! Anyone have any suggestions? I might look for "Gates of Fire" I also like war books to! Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 9:27:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Day by day armageddon series was good.
Eta: not historical, but it was enjoyable.
(Sorry, didn't read entire op before posting)
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 12:36:05 AM EDT
[#2]
The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 3:36:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara
View Quote

Any of Michael or his son Jeff Shaara's books will be great.

Also

1776 by David McCullough
1812 by David Nevins

If you liked Gates of Fire you'll love any of Stephen Pressfield's other books, including Killing Rommel.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 12:06:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Pirate Hunters was a great book in my opinion.  I listen to a lot of audio books and that is the first that I would recommend currently.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 9:03:22 PM EDT
[#5]
World War Z.  Nothing like the movie.  It also has an all star cast.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Make sure you get the 12hr Complete edition, there is also a 6hr Abridged version.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:09:42 PM EDT
[#7]
"Shadow Divers" by Robert Kurson    Scary discovery and exploration of a previously unknown German U-Boat off the eastern seaboard.  Should be in the library . . . .
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast is what you see.  The episodes are more like audio books than podcasts because it is just one very intelligent guy talking about a subject after extensive research in 1-4 hour chunks.  Also, more often than not the subjects are multi-part so you will get multiple hours per subject.  His newer stuff can be downloaded for free and the older stuff can be had for about $2 an episode.  I highly recommend the ghosts of the ostfront about the WWII eastern front can be had for $6 for about 6 hours of audio.  Blueprint for Armageddon about WWI is something like 24 hours long and available for free and is also excellent.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Any feedback on the American Sniper in Audio?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast is what you see.  The episodes are more like audio books than podcasts because it is just one very intelligent guy talking about a subject after extensive research in 1-4 hour chunks.  Also, more often than not the subjects are multi-part so you will get multiple hours per subject.  His newer stuff can be downloaded for free and the older stuff can be had for about $2 an episode.  I highly recommend the ghosts of the ostfront about the WWII eastern front can be had for $6 for about 6 hours of audio.  Blueprint for Armageddon about WWI is something like 24 hours long and available for free and is also excellent.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Gates of Fire. The narrator sounds like he's an actual Greek philosopher detailing any and all events as if it were live.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Go to the local library and see what they have from The Teaching Company.  An incredible amount of content on diverse topics. Really high quality stuff. If your library does not have what you want, they are always running sales (every course goes on sale at least once a year). You can also check out ebay if the course you are interested in is not currently on sale.

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 8:57:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Was it liberally slanted? I read a review that said it was.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 9:08:56 PM EDT
[#14]
+1 on Dan Carlin pod casts and another +1 on the Teaching Company/The Great Courses audio books. In addition to David McCullough's 1776 mentioned above, The Great Bridge and John Adams was excellent. There are a whole slew of audio books on WWII, the Korean War that are excellent. Here are a few:

With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa
Band of Brothers
Helmet for My Pillow: From Parris Island to the Pacific, A Marine Tells His Story
Retribution
Matterhorn
We Were Soldiers Once...and Young
The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors
Neptune's Inferno: The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal
The Last Stand of Fox Company
The Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War
The Guns of August: The Pulitzer Prize-Winning Classic About the Outbreak of World War I

Killer Angles by Michael Shaara and any of Civil War and WWII books by his son Jeff Shaara.
The following three books by Rick Atkinson:
An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa, 1942-1943
The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944
The Guns at Last Light: The War in Western Europe, 1944-1945

The following three by Simon Winchester:
Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded: August 27, 1883
Atlantic: Great Sea Battles, Heroic Discoveries, Titanic Storms, and a Vast Ocean of a Million Stories
Pacific: Silicon Chips and Surfboards, Coral Reefs and Atom Bombs, Brutal Dictators, Fading Empires, and the Coming Collision of the World's Superpowers (listening to this one right now)

There are many more that I have listened to over the years (over a hundred).
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:28:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not that I could remember.  Or at least it didn't stick out enough for me to notice.  Sometime people look for even the slightest thing.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:35:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Blood Meridian
The Iron Heel
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:21:51 AM EDT
[#17]
audile.com has a sale today. About 200 books on sale for $4.95.
Surprised to find about a dozen interesting books. About 5 or so related to WWII.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:49:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks! I got A Man on the Moon, With the Old Breed, Masters of the Air, and Chickenhawk.

Sale ends the 26th.
I'll probably end up getting A Helmet for My Pillow and Target Tokyo as well.

Eta: just noticed Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors is on sale for $9.49. Might get that instead. Dang arfcom, always costing $$ one way or another.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top