Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2016 9:40:56 PM EDT
I have a pretty long list of books that I need to get to......probably a dozen or so. BUT, at some point in the next couple of months I'll be through the list. Where do you find books to read? One of my last was "The Height of Courage".....It was mentioned in Jeff Coopers C Stories. It was a pretty good read recounting the Israeli/Syrian tank battles in the Golan during the '73 War. Right now I'm reading The Fall of Rome by Grant.....
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:12:57 PM EDT
[#1]
When I read a comment on the Internet about some book that was supposedly good I open another tab in my browser and go to the local library site.  If they have the book in their system, I put the book in a storage area called "My List".  It stays there until I either order it delivered to my local library branch or I delete the listing.

If the library doesn't have it the next step to to check Amazon, maybe it is available cheaply through Kindle.

I used to buy a lot of books but they take up so much room and I might never re-read them, so I don't usually need to own a physical copy.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 5:09:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I read a comment on the Internet about some book that was supposedly good I open another tab in my browser and go to the local library site.  If they have the book in their system, I put the book in a storage area called "My List".  It stays there until I either order it delivered to my local library branch or I delete the listing.

If the library doesn't have it the next step to to check Amazon, maybe it is available cheaply through Kindle.

I used to buy a lot of books but they take up so much room and I might never re-read them, so I don't usually need to own a physical copy.
View Quote

I do something similar.  If someone recommends a book I'll look at it on Amazon and read the reviews.  Often you'll find "experts" commenting in the reviews on the books and they'll compare the book to others and rank them.  The best is when they list out the books they like - I go check those out.  This works best with big subjects like D-Day or the space race where there is a large selection out there to choose from.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 10:52:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I look at the bibliography of a book I'm reading.
Sometimes I get suggestions from friends.
Sometimes someone here mentions a book on Arfcom.

Never stop learning.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 2:48:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm a huge Amazon book fiend. I've noticed over the past few years that their recommendation software is squared away. I'm always clicking on related material from a single book page. There's new books I've never heard of just about every time I search for stuff.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 1:27:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I found a local book store, that has unbeatable prices and I usually go to the section I most enjoy (military history/novels) and read the first few pages, and if it peaks my interest I go ahead and buy. I am always blow away by their prices. I was in Barnes and really wanted to get Fearless the Adam Brown story and was about to pay 18 bucks for it, and decided to check out the locally owned store first. Found the same book for 4.00 never read. I have found some incredible deals there for really expensive books like Steel my Soldiers heart that was 44.00 for again 4.00
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Amazon's recommendation list.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Pick a book you like.  Find it on Amazon.  Then look at similar books on that page.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top