Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 11/4/2015 9:51:20 PM EDT
I'm caught up in the series, except for a couple of the short stories, and I'm chomping at the bit for book 16, Peace Talks, which will hopefully be out next year.

Speculation on upcoming events? Theories about characters? Questions about events through Skin Game?

Whatcha got?
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Fun series. No thoughts on Peace Talks other than I'll read it. The series has to be winding down...or at least I think it should. However, Butcher's more than good enough to sustain it if he has the desire.

The new series start, The Aeronaut’s Windlass, is on my book pile at the moment.

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fun series. No thoughts on Peace Talks other than I'll read it. The series has to be winding down...or at least I think it should. However, Butcher's more than good enough to sustain it if he has the desire.

The new series start, The Aeronaut’s Windlass, is on my book pile at the moment.
View Quote

He's planning on doing "about twenty" case files and ending the series with an apocalyptic trilogy. I hope he can keep his momentum...I think they just keep getting better.

I need to check out some of his other books.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 12:17:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I wasn't quite as big a fan of Codex Alera, probably because I read them too far apart. They just didn't grab me *quite* like Harry.

I liked the Cinder Spires story.

There will be haters who'll stop by, to explain why Book 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14, or 15 is the Worst Thing Ever. Ignore 'em.
They probably read James Joyce for fun!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#4]

I've been trying to get all the Dresden series in hardback and have everything except for # 2 & 3. Hoping for reprints to come out like they did for the first one. I gave my son in law the first 3 paperbacks last year for Christmas, and my daughter said to get him a few more this year. Seems to be a pretty popular series.

I read Aeronauts Windlass and it is a good book but seems to be aimed at the younger audience.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:03:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Hands down, this series is among my top 5 of favorites to read...and re-read.  If you haven't tried the audiobook versions, I highly suggest you try em. James Marters is the narrator and does a tremendous job, though be forewarned that for book 13 Ghost Story, there was a scheduling conflict and he was not the original narrator. They did, however, go back and re-recorded the book with James Masrters and released that version early  this summer.

I also read that Butcher has this series planned out to about 20 books, with the last three ending in a trilogy tentaively using the 3 "catch phrases" Harry uses, "Empty Night", "Hell's Bell's", and "Stars and Stones".

I never really got into his Codex Alera series, but I did check out his new book, The Aeronaut's Windlass and enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Ghost Story left me a little disappointed but Cold  Days and Skin Game seemed like a return to the Harry of old.   Really looking forward to seeing where he goes with the story from here, especially with Molly.  

I appear to be the odd one out here as I really enjoyed the Codex Alera books.   I really have to say even more than the Dresden ones, although it is close.

I just started The Aeronaut's Windlass.   It will be the first steam punk book for me but I have faith in Butcher's ability to create a new world and fill it with interesting characters.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I've read the entire Dresden series, including the short stories. The story about Harry's day off is my hands down favorite.

I was disappointed in the tv series. If they had followed the books better, and done better with the casting (not Paul, he did a pretty good Harry), then the series might have taken off.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I prefer the series even over Correias Monster Hunter Incorporated.(But not the Grimnoir.)
Plain awesome to read the character development,
lovely how Harry goes from "and that sucker spent the half of his life to be able to do that"
to "Holy Shitsnacks! He goes again and again toe to toe with things far more powerfull than himself and comes out of it"
(Is there any other Author that goes anywhere near that length?)
But not as overpowered/Mary Sue as Sandman Slim or even John Ringos Ghost.

A smidgen better than the Iron Druid, because come on, that fucker survives for 2000 years and forgets how to calm a whatisthatfcalled?
(And he didn't even investigate that obvious plot point!)

My prediction for "Peace Talk":
Archleon tries to use the blood in the Grail for something evil
and Jesus appears and says something to the effect:
"You didn't really thing you could use my power for evil, did you?"
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Someone pointed out that Nickelhead stories seem to appear (wait for it) every 5 books.
(rimshot)

So...Book 20, before we find out what happens to the Grail. Maybe. (Prediction, not prophecy.)

He's only got 8 books to wrap this whole thing up. More or less.
(If he pulls a Robert Jordan and dies before the series is complete, I'm taking up a collection to have his corpse resurrected until he finishes it!)

Book 16 will not be about Harry tracking down who placed listening devices in Gentleman John's "Fitness Emporium". (Although that could be an intriguing side quest.) But still no word on when it'll be out. /sigh/

Link Posted: 12/24/2015 3:35:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I gave up after Cold Days.  Not interested in the situation he's put the characters into anymore.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I gave up after Cold Days.  Not interested in the situation he's put the characters into anymore.
View Quote

You're dead to me.

Link Posted: 12/24/2015 11:41:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You're dead to me.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're dead to me.

I felt bad abandoning the series, honestly.  I used to love it.  But one of the things I loved the most about it was how grounded Harry was.  That seemed to just go away totally after Ghost Story.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 11:56:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I felt bad abandoning the series, honestly.  I used to love it.  But one of the things I loved the most about it was how grounded Harry was.  That seemed to just go away totally after Ghost Story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're dead to me.

Well...I won't tell you what to do, but READ SKIN GAME.

Oh wait...oops

In what way did his changes not appeal to you? The mantle? The island? Or just the way he has changed in the course of the series?

Link Posted: 12/25/2015 12:13:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In what way did his changes not appeal to you? The mantle? The island? Or just the way he has changed in the course of the series?

View Quote

The way he made everything revolve around the Never-Never.  The Never-Never worked better for me in small doses, as a place of mystery.  Once the curtain was drawn back and Harry was more and more involved in the politics and inner workings of the Never-Never, and less involved with the day to day life of Chicago, the less I cared about what happened.  Also, I get really damned tired of the idiotic will-they, won't-they bullshit between him and Murphy.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're dead to me.

That was the whole point of Changes... Harry lost everything that was familiar, that grounded him.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 2:33:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That was the whole point of Changes... Harry lost everything that was familiar, that grounded him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're dead to me.

Yeah, I realized that at the time.  I just didn't want to read about it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The way he made everything revolve around the Never-Never.  The Never-Never worked better for me in small doses, as a place of mystery.  Once the curtain was drawn back and Harry was more and more involved in the politics and inner workings of the Never-Never, and less involved with the day to day life of Chicago, the less I cared about what happened. Also, I get really damned tired of the idiotic will-they, won't-they bullshit between him and Murphy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The way he made everything revolve around the Never-Never.  The Never-Never worked better for me in small doses, as a place of mystery.  Once the curtain was drawn back and Harry was more and more involved in the politics and inner workings of the Never-Never, and less involved with the day to day life of Chicago, the less I cared about what happened. Also, I get really damned tired of the idiotic will-they, won't-they bullshit between him and Murphy.

Ah...gotcha. I can see that. I just don't mind it.

Um...nevermind. Don't read Skin Game.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Loved just about all of the series. Didn't get into Ghost Story as much and Cold Days pissed me off with how much Harry kept getting his ass kicked by a pack of pixies.  I mean, come on you're the fucking Winter Knight! Kick some ass!
Skin Game was great I thought. Loved the Oceans Eleven feel to it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Loved just about all of the series. Didn't get into Ghost Story as much and Cold Days pissed me off with how much Harry kept getting his ass kicked by a pack of pixies.  I mean, come on you're the fucking Winter Knight! Kick some ass!
View Quote

The thing with Harry being the Winter Knight...Mab really didn't give him any superhuman "powers", per se, she just removed his body's natural limitations, and caused him to heal faster (I think). Butters pointed out to Murphy and Harry that, if he keeps going around brute-forcing everything he is going to reach a point at which his body simply shuts down.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The thing with Harry being the Winter Knight...Mab really didn't give him any superhuman "powers", per se, she just removed his body's natural limitations, and caused him to heal faster (I think). Butters pointed out to Murphy and Harry that, if he keeps going around brute-forcing everything he is going to reach a point at which his body simply shuts down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I've read Butters views on the winter mantle, but I also remember in Changes how Harry was able to out run Rampires and even had more arm strength than the Red King.       Supernatural creatures with supernatural strength.
That made me believe that the mantle was a HUGE power upgrade for Harry.
Since coming back to life following Ghost Story it seems that Jim is going out of his way to nerf the power of the mantle.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top