Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2015 4:27:12 PM EDT
I need to make professional reading a new habit, so I am looking for suggestions of where to start.  I commission as an Ensign in 6 days, and I am going into the aviation pipeline.  Before I start reading books such as Wired for War or any publications focused on the present or future Navy, I would like to build a foundation by reading classics that would help guide me through my time as a JO.

Any help is much appreciated.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 2:47:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Become an expert in your field, first. You have A LOT of reading ahead of you if you're going to be flying.  

You will make a stronger positive impression on those above you and under you by knowing your job than you will by "professional" reading.
You will have plenty of time to develop your leadership side after pilot training.

That's my two cents.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 4:11:49 AM EDT
[#2]
In Love and War, Stockdale
With The Old Breed, Sledge
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:23:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Stuka Pilot, Rudel
Samurai!, Sakai
In the Company of Heroes, Durant
Sea Harrier Over the Falklands, Ward
The Mission, the Men, and Me, Blaber
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:36:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Once an Eagle (I wish this was required reading for everyone)
Matterhorn (This book is about the author's personal experiences in Vietnam as a young LT but when I read it was like he was describing life on combat outposts in Afghanistan)

Company Commander
Five Years to Freedom
Steel My Soldier's Hearts
Band of Brothers
One Bullet Away
If You Survive: From Normandy to the Battle of the Bulge

Good luck with everything.  Be the leader you want to have.  Remember it's OK to make mistakes, as long as you learn from them.

One of the most important lessons I learned was "It's never about what a leader SAYS, it's always about what a leader DOES that counts."

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:47:10 AM EDT
[#5]
starship troopers.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Going on the basis that some things never change, I'd recommend "Caesar's Commentaries" and the military memoirs of General U.S. Grant.
These two are considered to be the finest military memoirs ever written.

Good Navy Air novels are "Flight of the Intruder" by Stephen Coonts, and the classic "The Bridges of Toko-Ri" by James A. Michener.
Both of these speak to what being Naval Air means.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:55:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Starship Troopers
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:55:36 PM EDT
[#8]
the sage General Sun Tzu's 'Art of War' is the place to start.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Ender's Game.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ender's Game.
View Quote

this too
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Doesn't the commandant of the Marine Corps have an official reading list.  That would be a good one.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#13]
The Masks of Command.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Doesn't the commandant of the Marine Corps have an official reading list.  That would be a good one.
View Quote

http://guides.grc.usmcu.edu/usmcreadinglist

This is what your looking for.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Service, Luttrell
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Punk's War, Carroll
When Hell Was In Session, Denton
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 11:45:14 AM EDT
[#17]
If you only read one, this is it.:  Into the Mouth of the Cat: The Story of Lance Sijan, Hero of Vietnam  by Malcolm McConnell

And this one will ring familiar to anyone in Naval Aviation:  Phantom over Vietnam: Fighter Pilot, USMC  by John Trotti

As ZoomieFoosh said, you will have plenty to read, during flight training. You won't truly be in a leadership role until you get to your first squadron (except maybe when you are duty officer). All you really need to do at first, is to look and act professionally, and concentrate on learning to be a Naval Aviatior.

Good luck, and have fun.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I respectfully disagree with those who tell you this reading can wait.  

Yes, flight training is your number one priority.  Give it the attention it deserves.  It is necessary to be a proficient aviator for you to be of any use to anyone in the fleet.  

However, it is not sufficient to only be a proficient aviator.  You have to be a leader as well.  

There is plenty of time at the Naval Air Training Command for students to do something besides coursework.  Some will watch the game.  A few will read a book and try to better themselves.

You'll be a better officer by reading and thinking about those who came before you.  It also helps you keep any discomfort you may feel in perspective.  

Read everything by VADM Stockdale that you can get your hands on.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#19]
"The Elements of Style" by Strunk and White.  It's not a clothing fashion guide.  It's about how to communicate in written English in a coherent manner.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
"The Elements of Style" by Strunk and White.  It's not a clothing fashion guide.  It's about how to communicate in written English in a coherent manner.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Kipling
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 8:37:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Well, I was NPQ'd from aviation less then 48 hours before commissioning. I redesigned Supply Corps and checked into the school's command.  I have required reading now, and I'm reading 6 Frigates, which has been amazing so far.

Thanks for the list, I wrote them down so I won't be without options for a long time.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:25:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well, I was NPQ'd from aviation less then 48 hours before commissioning.
View Quote

Well that sucks!  The NAMI whammy strikes again.

On a positive note, the supply corps is an important job.  I have a friend who was in the supply corps, and he was busy all the time.  He made several deployments on a couple of different boats, and really did get to "see the world".    So give it all you got, and you can have a good career in that field.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I need to make professional reading a new habit, so I am looking for suggestions of where to start.  I commission as an Ensign in 6 days, and I am going into the aviation pipeline.  Before I start reading books such as Wired for War or any publications focused on the present or future Navy, I would like to build a foundation by reading classics that would help guide me through my time as a JO.

Any help is much appreciated.

View Quote

There are some great recommendations in this post, but I'd like to recommend the following Reading list:
http://jsou.libguides.com/readinglists

It's interesting as it shows "leadership" and "strategy" categories.  

Here's another good list:
http://www.socpac.socom.mil/Lists/Recommended%20Reading%20List/AllItems.aspx

When you get to a unit, commanders at different levels will publish their own recommended reading list and it's a great insight into their style of leadership.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 12:11:13 PM EDT
[#26]
This:  http://www.firstworldwar.com/index.htm

It's a multimedia history of the First World War.  I ran across it while looking for something else.  Once I locate the "something else," I'll list it also.  But the First World War site seems to be a good summary of a portion of how the world got to the point of where we are now.  Disclosure:  I'm not military, nor have I ever been.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 8:29:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Become an expert in your field, first. You have A LOT of reading ahead of you if you're going to be flying.  

You will make a stronger positive impression on those above you and under you by knowing your job than you will by "professional" reading.
You will have plenty of time to develop your leadership side after pilot training.

That's my two cents.
View Quote

Pilots are technicians.

If he wants to be a technician and not an Officer, than that's great advice.

I like his take on it, and hopefully he rejects yours.  PIlots who read get promoted past O-3.  Pilots who don't?  A whole lot of them are looking for jobs right now.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Pilots are technicians.

I like his take on it, and hopefully he rejects yours.  PIlots who read get promoted past O-3.  Pilots who don't?  A whole lot of them are looking for jobs right now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my two cents.

Pilots are technicians.

Even though it is a moot point now, I was not telling him not to read.  I was telling him to worry about reading AFTER pilot training. 2-ish years of focusing on being a technician will not make you a poor officer.  Not focusing on your job and worrying about office work is a great way to grow unsafe and sometimes dangerous pilots.  I know because I've had experience with young officers too busy with extemporaneous crap to know how to fly the damn plane correctly.

I'm sure we all can agree that it is a little more complicated as to how to become a good officer/leader/job expert than just reading.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Even though it is a moot point now, I was not telling him not to read.  I was telling him to worry about reading AFTER pilot training. 2-ish years of focusing on being a technician will not make you a poor officer.  Not focusing on your job and worrying about office work is a great way to grow unsafe and sometimes dangerous pilots.  I know because I've had experience with young officers too busy with extemporaneous crap to know how to fly the damn plane correctly.

I'm sure we all can agree that it is a little more complicated as to how to become a good officer/leader/job expert than just reading.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my two cents.

Pilots are technicians.

I think it's okay to read a good military leadership book at some point during technical training.  If he can't find that time he's probably not managing time properly.

I applaud a JO who wants to learn, because most of them don't.  

Link Posted: 11/15/2015 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Josh,
 Not to get in a pissing contest but do you come from an aviation background?  I'm just curious as to what experiences your advice is based on.  Although your advice is not misguided I just have a difference of opinion based upon my own experiences.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Josh,
 Not to get in a pissing contest but do you come from an aviation background?  I'm just curious as to what experiences your advice is based on.  Although your advice is not misguided I just have a difference of opinion based upon my own experiences.
View Quote

Ten years dealing with aviators on CVNs, three years at NSAWC dealing with aviators, and a few years at NSW working with aviators who were non-promotes and moved over to fill support roles there.  

Yeah, that covers most of my career now that I think about it.

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 2:32:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Anatomy of Glory - Anna Brown.  Study of leadership; in particular, Napoleon and the Garde Imperial.
The Influence of Sea Power Upon History by Mahan.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top