Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2015 5:23:49 AM EDT
Hello all. I have kind of an odd question. I don't know if this would get better results in the Veterans or history forum so I will try here first.

I was looking for some information on some U.S. military field manuals. My google searching is not working out. Did they ever make FMs on the East German military? If so, what is the number for them? Also what is a good place to look for the originals in printed form?

I know they made them on the Soviet military. I have the FM 100-2-3 etc. series of books which briefly mentions Warsaw Pact countries. If they did not make any for East Germany did they make a European Theater handbook? For instance, I served in Korea and I don't remember seeing any FMs on North Korea specifically. We did have a least two books, a large and small one. I have both of those. They are titled "Know Your Enemy, North Korea" it describes some of their history, organization, weapons etc.

If you are wondering, I am a flag flying Army vet, no weird motives here. I am also a collector of Soviet, Warsaw Pact and North Korean militaria, weapons and info. I'm probably a dork but I find it fascinating to study our current and former enemies. Some people collect and study dead bugs, some collect comic books, this is my thing.

Any help you can give will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:11:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm bumping this for you, cause I want to know too.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hello all. I have kind of an odd question. I don't know if this would get better results in the Veterans or history forum so I will try here first.

I was looking for some information on some U.S. military field manuals. My google searching is not working out. Did they ever make FMs on the East German military? If so, what is the number for them? Also what is a good place to look for the originals in printed form?

I know they made them on the Soviet military. I have the FM 100-2-3 etc. series of books which briefly mentions Warsaw Pact countries. If they did not make any for East Germany did they make a European Theater handbook? For instance, I served in Korea and I don't remember seeing any FMs on North Korea specifically. We did have a least two books, a large and small one. I have both of those. They are titled "Know Your Enemy, North Korea" it describes some of their history, organization, weapons etc.

If you are wondering, I am a flag flying Army vet, no weird motives here. I am also a collector of Soviet, Warsaw Pact and North Korean militaria, weapons and info. I'm probably a dork but I find it fascinating to study our current and former enemies. Some people collect and study dead bugs, some collect comic books, this is my thing.

Any help you can give will be appreciated.
View Quote

I do not remember seeing any FMs on that specific topic, but if you expand your search to a more general search of Army publications, that might help.

For example, there are Department of the Army Pamphlets, such as:

DA PAM 550-155, East Germany: a Country Study {now obviously this contains more info than just the military}

or

DA PAM 30-50-2, Handbook on the Satellite Armies {readings on Warsaw Pact armies}

Available, it would appear, on amazon and from some militaria bookstores.

http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-The-Satellite-Armies-Department/dp/B000XQZPKQ

http://wardogmilitaria.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=29&products_id=2449

http://www.rwmilitarybooks.com/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=116150

Here's a bibliography of Soviet uniform reference books

You might also try USAREUR publications, since they were the front lines of containing the Warsaw Pact.

A quick online search produces---

USAREUR Pamphlet 350-82, Soviet Tactical Planning Factors.

You might also try searching for Training Circulars (TC) or Technical Manual (TM).

My apologies if you've already found these sources. Good luck on your search!
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top