Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2015 9:12:00 PM EDT
Looking to read a good book about Delta.  Saw a couple on Amazon but not sure what to pick.
Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Force or faucet?

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Force or faucet?

View Quote

Airline!
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Eric Haney's book.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:46:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Hugo Vihlen  
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 12:00:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Eric Haney's book.
View Quote

Yeah I was leaning toward that.  From reading Amazon reviews you have to be careful you don't get the "young readers" version because it cuts a lot out.
I'm gonna look for the original.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah I was leaning toward that.  From reading Amazon reviews you have to be careful you don't get the "young readers" version because it cuts a lot out.

Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eric Haney's book.

Thanks

Yep. "Inside Delta Force".
Very good read.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#7]
The Mission, The Men, and Me.  Not really stories about combat until the very end of the book but one of the best none the less.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#8]
The first and still classic is "Delta Force" by it's founder Col. Charles Beckwith.

It's how it was founded in spite of the Army and CIA, and early training.
Most interesting is how Beckwith "Verified" it's snipers.
In the Munich Olympic hostage fiasco one of the top German marksman/snipers failed to fire his weapon.
He was a well proven marksman, but no one had ever tried to find out if he actually would pull the trigger in a real situation.  As it turned out...he couldn't.

Beckwith came up with a verification plan for Delta snipers that certainly raised some tempers and eyebrows.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The first and still classic is "Delta Force" by it's founder Col. Charles Beckwith.

It's how it was founded in spite of the Army and CIA, and early training.
Most interesting is how Beckwith "Verified" it's snipers.
In the Munich Olympic hostage fiasco one of the top German marksman/snipers failed to fire his weapon.
He was a well proven marksman, but no one had ever tried to find out if he actually would pull the trigger in a real situation.  As it turned out...he couldn't.

Beckwith came up with a verification plan for Delta snipers that certainly raised some tempers and eyebrows.
View Quote

That was my second choice, only because of a review I read said it was more of top down commander's startegic point of view, not as much in the field stories.   But I will probably read that next.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Kill Bin Laden.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 2:10:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Read anything written by Paul Howe. Not a story book but you will learn a lot.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 3:09:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Great book but mostly about Green Berets and CIA.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:45:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Thank for the other good recommendations.  
So far I am loving Inside Delta Force.  Not even a 100 pages in  and can't put it down.  I found the selection process fascinating.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#15]
This is a good history by the first commander of DF:  http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Force-Militarys-Secretive-Special-Operations/dp/006224969X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426951682&sr=8-1&keywords=charles+beckwith

It's a bit dry at points but it gives you a thorough history of how the unit got started.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#16]
LSUTIGERFAN,That was a good one.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 4:00:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Killer Elite not to bad.Anyone read The Reaper,any good.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:00:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Mission, The Men, and Me.  Not really stories about combat until the very end of the book but one of the best none the less.
View Quote

I was going to recommend this book as well.  It should be on some official reading lists, as it is an excellent book on leadership.

Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top