Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2014 2:03:35 PM EDT
I am setting up a Kindle that we are giving my grandfather for Christmas. I have him several games loaded and am moving on to loading him some books. Recently he has been interested in all things World War 1. Are there any books available for the Kindle on World War 1 that you would suggest?
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The Guns of August

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:18:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I will look for it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#3]
1) "Horses Don't Fly"  2) "Guns of August"
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Got this one when it was free when it was on the Amazon Top 100 Free ebooks haven't read it yet: Victory 1918

As was mentioned above, The Guns of August. It is the definitive book on WWI at this time. Listened to the audiobook version of it and it was great.

I've read and listened to the audio book of The First World War by John Keegan. Thought it was good.

I've also read the book Dreadnought by Robert Massie which chronicles the lead up to WWI. While it primarily is focused on the naval arms race, but it gives a rich background on many causes that lead to WWI.

While not an ebook, the BBC did an excellent series of documentaries on WWI called The Great War. Has interviews with people who fought in it. Runs about 26 episodes. You can watch them on YouTube at this link:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Documentaryprogramme/videos
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Another great source of information in a fun/easy package is Dan Carlin's Hardcore History "blueprints for Armageddon" it is a podcast that is free right now. Just finished the 1st one and it was awesome.Dan Carlin
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 5:28:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the recommendations. We loaded a few books on it for him and gave it to him for Christmas. I will get it within the next few weeks and add those books to it as well.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 5:34:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've read and listened to the audio book of The First World War by John Keegan. Thought it was good.
]
View Quote

There is also The First World War by Hew Strachan.  I've read the hardcover and thought it was a good "1 over the world" book on the war.  There was a PBS? series that followed this book as well.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I highly recommend Max Hastings' Catastrophe: 1914 Europe Goes to War. Arguably one of the finest authors to manipulate human emotion and factual armed conflict data into works of nonfiction. One of my favorites.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I know the Kindle has a lot of free books. You can look them up under the Kindle section. Or type inf World War 1 Free.

Here is a link -

A lot of World War 1 eBooks for free from the Kindle store.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know the Kindle has a lot of free books. You can look them up under the Kindle section. Or type inf World War 1 Free.

Here is a link -

A lot of World War 1 eBooks for free from the Kindle store.
View Quote

I got him a series of I think 9 books off of the free kindle books. Thanks for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:48:14 AM EDT
[#11]
A Storm In Flanders. I thought it was excellent.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top