Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2014 11:07:42 PM EDT
As we are coming up on the 100th anniversary of the Great War, I would like to name some books about the Great War that really make you appreciate NOT being in the Great War:

Catastrophe: a recent book about the first months of the war.  It is scary, some armies still had Napoleon 12 pounders in their arsenal.
Paths of Glory: a contemporary newspaper reporter's account of the first few weeks of war in Belgium and France.
Dreadnought: how the British navy prepared for the war.
Guns of August: why secret treaties to go to war seemed like a good idea at first, but ended up not being such a great idea.
The Remains of Company C: AEF troops get mauled in a wheat field on their way to a road.  Where did they come from?  What happened to them later?
A Rifleman Goes to War:  Fighting with Canadian troops against the other Empire.

What books, about the War to End All Wars, do you like?  Why?

On a personal family note, my father was a pacifist before World War 2, the Big One, but became a Marine because some people just have to be shown they are not a master race and that war is wrong.  He always thought the tragedy of the First World War was that no one really learned anything from it.  He never could return to being a pacifist.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:42:22 AM EDT
[#1]
4 Years Of 1st World War Threads.  

ETA:  All look like good books.  Cheers to your Da.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:44:45 AM EDT
[#2]
All Quiet in the Western Front.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:55:48 AM EDT
[#3]
'Castles of Steel'   I believe it is a follow up to 'Dreadnought'.   Its about the naval activities during the war.  Great read.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:58:22 AM EDT
[#4]
If it was the war to end all wars how come they called it WW1?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:58:42 AM EDT
[#5]
July 1914 by Sean McMeekin.  How everybody from one end to another had an axe to grind that coalesced into one giant human tragedy.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:02:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it was the war to end all wars how come they called it WW1?
View Quote

Before WW II it was called The Great War, not WW I.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#7]
A good fiction book is "To the Last Man" by Jeff Shaara.

The Shaara's have written a number of excellent fiction book on the Revolution, the Civil War, WWI, and WWII.
The most famous is "The Killer Angels" which was made into a movie.

"To the last Man" is an excellent account of the horrors faced by US Marines in the Great War.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Finally got a chance to sit back down at the computer:

To End All Wars, Hochschild.  Newer Book, not a bad read.

The Last of the Doughboys, Rubin. Interesting read, the author searches out and finds the last of the living WWI veterans. Was written in 2005 I believe

I Remember the Last War, Bob Hoffman. An older book, written by a veteran in the 1920s or 30s or so.  Interesting read.

Over the Top, Arthur Guy Empey, Haven't read it yet, it was written right after or during WWI

A Yankee in the Trenches, Holmes.  I haven't read this one yet either, I have a vintage edition.  I believe it's about an American that goes to fight with the British before the Americans enter the war.

His Time In Hell, Stenson.  I bought this book at the Marine Corps museum in Quantico VA.  It's a memoir of a relatively unknown Marine.  Good read.

The Remains of Company D, James Carl Nelson.  Kind of a slow book.  A guy writes about his grandfather or great grandfathers experience in the war.

Through the Wheat, Boyd.  A book about one American soldier's experience in the war.  May be fiction. Either the one I list below or this one is.  I can't remember which of the two is.

Toward the Flame, Allen.  Another book about an American soldier's experience in the war.  Might be fiction, I can't remember.

Suddenly We  Didn't Want to Die, Elton Mackin.  Another book about an American soldier's experience in the war.

Wooden Props and Canvas Wings, Christie. Short little book about going through flight training as a WWI pilot.  

I hope this helps some.  I've been collecting and reading WWI books for about 3 years now.  Some are great reads, others are incredible depressing.  Sorry if my descriptions aren't that great, it's been a while since I've read most of them and I read a lot of books so they all kind of run together sometimes...
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top