White Fang

Call of the Wild

The silver brumby

Treasure Island

The last of the Mohicans

The Buffalo Hunter

Davy Crockett (series)

20.000 Leagues under the sea

Michael Strogoff (the courier of the Czar)

Tom Sawyer

King Solomon's mines

Biggles flies South

We were there at Pearl Harbour

Very good books all of them. I remember thinking the book about White Fang was quite brutal, regarding how he was treated by people and how unforgiving nature is.

ETA: Many of those books sparked a serious interest for history and nature.

View Quote
This is a good list, I would add the Narnia series, War of the World and anything by Louis L'Amour
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Forgive me if someone else already posted this suggestion, just skipped to the end to post this.  Given what he has already devoured he might find all the works of R.A. Salvatore's "Legend Of Drizzt" series.  Its still an on going series, on book #30 now I believe.  Start with Homeland as it is the chronilogical first book.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:52:16 PM EDT
[#3]
This is gonna sound odd since it's a classic and a VERY long book, but it is actually continuously interesting, but The Count of Montecristo would be a good read since it's not an "adult" book. One of my favorites that I have read about 3 times already.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#4]
My kids all loved A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks again for all the recs guys, I come back and check this on occasion when he needs new stuff. The kid is unstoppable. He's pushing 12 at this point too of course.

It's funny you mention Sanderson, I picked up the Mistborn series a while back, DAMN what a GREAT series!!!! I haven't read a book series with such a satisfying ending in a long time. My kid is reading the first one now.

I highly recommend it for adults and teens too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My son is 13, and loved the Monster Hunter International and Hard Magic Series by Larry Correia-plenty of action and gun pron, virtually no bad language or sex.

I'm a huge Larry Correia fan, but he uses the fuck word throughout the MHI series, with increasing frequency with each book.  He's a total gun guy and a member here, though he doesn't post much.  

In your original post you mention the "Underland Series".  Is that the series about Gregor the Overlander written by the same broad who wrote the Hunger Games?  If so, those are solid.  If not, get him the Gregor books.  

I'll throw in a +1 as well to the recommend for the Ranger's Apprentice series and the Redwall books.  

Brandon Sanderson wrote a book titled The Arithmatist.  It's lots of fun and supposedly the first in a series.  Very cool world with an original magic system (it's Sanderson, so what do you expect) but it is aimed squarely at the YA audience.  

ETA: I see a recommendation for the Dragonlance original series.  I actually would recommend The Legend of Huma as well, if not even more so.  It's a great book about loyalty and honor set in a totally campy 1980's D&D world.  Loads of fun.

Thanks again for all the recs guys, I come back and check this on occasion when he needs new stuff. The kid is unstoppable. He's pushing 12 at this point too of course.

It's funny you mention Sanderson, I picked up the Mistborn series a while back, DAMN what a GREAT series!!!! I haven't read a book series with such a satisfying ending in a long time. My kid is reading the first one now.

That's good news about Mistborn.  I picked up the first a couple of days ago.  I started Way of Kings in Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series, realized that I was pretty much going to love it, saw that he'd only released two of an anticipated ten or some such number, and decided to wait until a few more had been released.  I'm honestly a bit tired of not being able to finish a series while the author farts around doing whatever his fame and money can support (yes, I'm looking squarely at the bearded fat man in the ridiculous hat who loves to travel to cons and hob-knob with Hollywood types).  After what I read of Way of Kings and also finishing up Rithmatist, I figured I'd check out some of Sanderson's other stuff.  I'm not willing at this point to pick Book 6 of the Wheel of Time back up in order to read all the way to Sanderson's conclusion of that series, so I grabbed Mistborn.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's good news about Mistborn.  I picked up the first a couple of days ago.  I started Way of Kings in Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series, realized that I was pretty much going to love it, saw that he'd only released two of an anticipated ten or some such number, and decided to wait until a few more had been released.  I'm honestly a bit tired of not being able to finish a series while the author farts around doing whatever his fame and money can support (yes, I'm looking squarely at the bearded fat man in the ridiculous hat who loves to travel to cons and hob-knob with Hollywood types).  After what I read of Way of Kings and also finishing up Rithmatist, I figured I'd check out some of Sanderson's other stuff.  I'm not willing at this point to pick Book 6 of the Wheel of Time back up in order to read all the way to Sanderson's conclusion of that series, so I grabbed Mistborn.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My son is 13, and loved the Monster Hunter International and Hard Magic Series by Larry Correia-plenty of action and gun pron, virtually no bad language or sex.

I'm a huge Larry Correia fan, but he uses the fuck word throughout the MHI series, with increasing frequency with each book.  He's a total gun guy and a member here, though he doesn't post much.  

In your original post you mention the "Underland Series".  Is that the series about Gregor the Overlander written by the same broad who wrote the Hunger Games?  If so, those are solid.  If not, get him the Gregor books.  

I'll throw in a +1 as well to the recommend for the Ranger's Apprentice series and the Redwall books.  

Brandon Sanderson wrote a book titled The Arithmatist.  It's lots of fun and supposedly the first in a series.  Very cool world with an original magic system (it's Sanderson, so what do you expect) but it is aimed squarely at the YA audience.  

ETA: I see a recommendation for the Dragonlance original series.  I actually would recommend The Legend of Huma as well, if not even more so.  It's a great book about loyalty and honor set in a totally campy 1980's D&D world.  Loads of fun.

I think you'll be happy you did. Seriously one the best things I've read in a long time, and I'm not a huge fantasy guy.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top