BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/31/2014 9:25:55 PM EDT
So this kid cannot get enough to read.

He's read the LOTR books, and is half way through the Two Towers for the second time.
In the last 3 months he's also read
The Harry Potter series
Eragon series
Hunger Games series
Percy Jackson series
Pit Dragon Chronicles
The Time Machine
Underland Chronicles
Young Sherlock Holmes series

Looking for recommendations for him, he's a bit ahead as far as reading level goes, but he's read everything even remotely age appropriate that I know of. Sci-fi, fantasy, and the like are his favorites.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:37:20 PM EDT
[#1]
The Once and Future King, T.H. White

Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card

Starship Troopers, Heinlein (been awhile since I read it, can't remember if any age-inappropriate stuff, Heinlein was a sex freak)

Ivanhoe, Sir Walter Scott

Watership Down, Richard Adams

The Shining - just kidding though I do remember vividly in 4th grade that my really smart friend was reading this book in class.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Once and Future King, T.H. White

Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card

Starship Troopers, Heinlein (been awhile since I read it, can't remember if any age-inappropriate stuff, Heinlein was a sex freak)

Ivanhoe, Sir Walter Scott

The Shining - just kidding though I do remember vividly in 4th grade that my really smart friend was reading this book in class.
View Quote

Thanks! I already have Enders Game, not sure why I didn't give that one to him already...
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#3]
See my edit with "Watership Down."

It's such a different book.  Awesome.  Perfect for someone that age.

Try "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline - you might like it also

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#4]

I would start here-Artemis Fowl series by Eion Colfer  (7-8 books in this series alone)

Then move to these authors they all have several books, your son should love.  
RIck Riordan, wrote the Lightning thief
Louis Sachar wrote Holes
Gary Paulsen wrote Hatchet

Feel free to IM me if you need more bu the 4 authors I listed above will get you another 15 books easy if not more.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Perfect thanks guys.

He's already read Watership Down too I think...
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#6]
No worries, I have worked in education for a long time, my area of expertise is 5-8th grade boys with serious social/emotional/behavioral problems. So I know all kinds of cool books and projects for that age group. :)
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:12:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Did you already mention the Ranger's Apprentice series? Only 12 of them, but they go fast.

Also, Susan Cooper's "The Dark Is Rising" series - 5 books.

David Eddings "Belgariad" 5 there.

ETA: Heinlein's Juveniles; Star Beast, Have Space Suit, Podkayne of Mars, etc.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:15:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome, thanks again! I just got him a bunch...should hold him over for a couple weeks at least lol
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:22:58 PM EDT
[#9]
GA Henty wrote books for young men that instilled in them moral principals, honor, integrity, and bravery.

Your son would do well with these at his age, before Sci-Fi and and fantasy eats his brain.

Just my .02.
Google G.A. Henty Books

G. A. Henty Books
A Chapter of Adventures
A Final Reckoning
A Hidden Foe
A Jacobite Exile
A Knight of the White Cross
A March on London
A Roving Commission
A Search for a Secret
A Woman of the Commune
All But Lost Vol. I
All But Lost Vol. II
All But Lost Vol. III
At Aboukir and Acre
At Agincourt
At the Point of the Bayonet
Beric the Briton
Bonnie Prince Charlie
Both Sides the Border
By Conduct and Courage
By England's Aid
By Pike and Dyke
By Right of Conquest
By Sheer Pluck
Captain Bayley's Heir
Colonel Thorndyke's Secret
Condemned as a Nihilist
Dorothy's Double
Facing Death
For Name and Fame
For the Temple
Friends Though Divided
Gabriel Allen M.P.
Held Fast for England
In Freedom's Cause
In Greek Waters
In the Hands of the Cave Dwellers
In the Heart of the Rockies
In the Irish Brigade
In the Reign of Terror
In Times of Peril
Jack Archer
John Hawke's Fortune
Maori and Settler
No Surrender!
On the Irrawaddy
One of the 28th
Orange and Green
Out on the Pampas
Out With Garibaldi
Queen Victoria
Redskin and Cow-Boy
Rujub, the Juggler
St. Bartholomew's Eve
St. George For England
Sturdy and Strong
The Bravest of the Brave
The Cat of Bubastes
The Cornet of Horse
The Curse of Carne's Hold
The Dash For Khartoum
The Dragon and the Raven
The Lion of St. Mark
The Lion of the North
The Lost Heir
The March to Coomassie
The March to Magdala
The Plague Ship
The Queen's Cup
The Sovereign Reader
The Tiger of Mysore
The Treasure of the Incas
The Young Buglers
The Young Carthaginian
The Young Colonists
The Young Franc-Tireurs
Those Other Animals
Through Russian Snows
Through the Fray
Through the Sikh War
Through Three Campaign
To Herat and Cabul
True to the Old Flag
Under Drake's Flag
Under Wellington's Command
When London Burned
Winning His Spurs
With Buller in Natal
With Clive in India
With Cochrane the Dauntless
With Frederick The Great
With Kitchener in the Soudan
With Lee in Virginia
With Moore at Corunna
With Roberts to Pretoria
With the Allies to Pekin
With the British Legion
With Wolfe in Canada
Won by the Sword
Wulf The Saxon
A Soldier's Daughter
In the Hands of the Malays
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Lensman series e.e doc smith
Girl who owned a city
Sten series (maybe too adult)
Probably not rooted in pop cutlrure enough to get ready player 1
Belgariad - first five books
Most of heinleins stuff (friday, glory road etc. nothing in there worse for a 10 year old than anything on primetime)
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:08:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, thanks!

(Hey, I like Sci-fi too...my brain is ok so far)
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:29:32 PM EDT
[#12]
A Wrinkle in Time

My Side of the Mountain

It's Like This, Cat
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A Wrinkle in Time

View Quote

I loved this one...there's a series if I remember right.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 1:35:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Stephen W. Meader wrote 44 books in the 20's through the 60's. Bulldozer (1951) was one that stuck with me for a long time.

Nowadays, they are being republished. If you have originals, they can be worth some serious coin.

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars series.  If he likes the older, pulp style of Burroughs then he'll be in luck, because Burrough's wrote a ton of novels.  I remember reading John Carter of Mars when I was 12 and I really enjoyed it (and continue to read Science Fiction to this day).  You can pick up a lot of Burrough's writings very cheaply on Kindle, and plenty to be found for <$1 at used book stores.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#17]
As mentioned Enders Game (really the whole Enders Saga), The Circle Opens Series (Tamora Pierce) seems like it would be up his alley, The Looking Glass Wars Trilogy, Vonnegut is one of my all time favorites. Not really Sci-Fi but if he is advanced and into the inner workings of people I would HIGHLY recommend anything Chuck Palahnuik with Choke, Fight Club and Survivor at the top of the list just be advised there are some not kid friendly topics in many of his books. Vurt by Jeff Noon is awesome, so long as drug (albiet a non existent drug) use isn't out of the question.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 2:55:05 AM EDT
[#18]
RL Stine's Goosebumps

lol
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:22:42 AM EDT
[#19]
A Long Way From Chicago
A Year Down Yonder
A Season of Gifts

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars series.  If he likes the older, pulp style of Burroughs then he'll be in luck, because Burrough's wrote a ton of novels.  I remember reading John Carter of Mars when I was 12 and I really enjoyed it (and continue to read Science Fiction to this day).  You can pick up a lot of Burrough's writings very cheaply on Kindle, and plenty to be found for <$1 at used book stores.
View Quote

Don't forget his Tarzan books! Someone gave me a copy of Tarzan of the Apes when I was about that age and it got me hooked.

The books I remember enjoying the most as a young teen were,

Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book and Rikki-Tikki-Tavi

Jack London's Call of the Wild and White Fang

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes books

Anything by Jules Verne

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks again guys, I'm keeping tabs on this thread as he finished other books
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:03:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A Wrinkle in Time
View Quote

I thank my mom for giving me Madeliene L'Engle.

She probably started my love affair for sci-fi.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:07:54 AM EDT
[#23]
"The Old Man and the Boy" and "The Old Man's Boy Grows Older"  by Robert Ruark
GREAT stories from Ruark's childhood in the outdoors.  He combined his two Grandfathers into the one Old Man character.
Much of my appreciation for an "outdoor ethic" came from reading these as a kid.
Also ... look for Philip Wylie's "The Best of Crunch and Des" ... Collection of awesome/hilarious fishing stories from post WWII South Florida.

Stay safe
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#24]
'Little House on the Prarie' series
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Treasure Island (anything by RLS)
The Red Badge of Courage
Two Years Before the Mast
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
The Martian Chronicles (anything by Bradbury)
Moby Dick
Tom Sawyer
Huckleberry Finn
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:39:54 AM EDT
[#26]
My Side of The Mountain by Jean Craighead George

Anything by Jules Verne.

Narnia chronicles by C. S. Lewis
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't remember how old I was, but I enjoyed some of the Goosebumps books when I was little. Not really scary, but creepy and fun. If he likes creepy.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 5:28:32 AM EDT
[#28]
David Weber's Empire from the Ashes trilogy (all three novels in one book). The first book is available for free, and can be read online or on Kindle:

Mutineer's Moon

Also his Honor Harrington series; it sounds like he's advanced enough to handle some of the harder sci-fi, and the earlier books are a blast to read. There are also some YA books as well, specifically A Beautiful Friendship, Fire Season, and Treecat Wars.

EditL Totally forgot about Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series, specifically the first two related trilogies: Dragonflight, DragonQuest, and The White Dragon, and the Harper Hall Trilogy with Dragon Song, Dragon Singer, and Dragon Drums. Those first six books are excellent.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks again everyone!

Quoted:
David Weber's Empire from the Ashes trilogy (all three novels in one book). The first book is available for free, and can be read online or on Kindle:

Mutineer's Moon

Also his Honor Harrington series; it sounds like he's advanced enough to handle some of the harder sci-fi, and the earlier books are a blast to read. There are also some YA books as well, specifically A Beautiful Friendship, Fire Season, and Treecat Wars.

EditL Totally forgot about Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series, specifically the first two related trilogies: Dragonflight, DragonQuest, and The White Dragon, and the Harper Hall Trilogy with Dragon Song, Dragon Singer, and Dragon Drums. Those first six books are excellent.

View Quote

My sister loved those books but she seems to remember some adult situations in them...what do you think?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

My sister loved those books but she seems to remember some adult situations in them...what do you think?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Edit: Totally forgot about Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series, specifically the first two related trilogies: Dragonflight, DragonQuest, and The White Dragon, and the Harper Hall Trilogy with Dragon Song, Dragon Singer, and Dragon Drums. Those first six books are excellent.

There are some sexual situations in the Dragonflight/Quest/WD books, nothing particularly explicit, a lot of it is implied. The Harper Hall books are solidly YA, though.

I read all of them in the 7th grade back in the early 80's, totally dug them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Cool thanks
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#32]
When I was  maybe a bit younger than your son , 8 or 9 maybe, I would buy a new Redwall book every week. Not really fantasy but kinda. Very very well written and no adult content except for some gratuities violence. Really really descriptive but not to the point of slowing down the story. Shame the gentleman passed away a few years ago, I'll give them to my children or nephews or whatever if that ever happens.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:51:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Where the red fern grows by Wilson Rawls.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:04:34 AM EDT
[#35]
I really enjoyed the Golden Compass series as a kid. However, there's an anti-religious theme to the whole series, if you care about that kind of stuff.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't know if you're still watching this thread or not, but I read the absolute fuck out of the Redwall series.

Redwall

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:12:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes I am still watching, thanks guys He's gotten a little busier with school starting, but I'm keeping track of this to get stuff as he needs them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Alas,  Babylon
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#39]
My son is 13, and loved the Monster Hunter International and Hard Magic Series by Larry Correia-plenty of action and gun pron, virtually no bad language or sex.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#40]
If he liked Percy Jackson, Rick Riordan has at least two other series out:  THe Kane Chronicles and the Heros of Olympus.

My kids love his stuff, and I don't mind it.  Some of it is funny as hell.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Kon-Tiki

The original Dragonlance trilogy
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#42]
The Artemus Fowl series is pretty great, I actually want to go back and reread them.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:46:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Guardians of Ga'hol
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#44]
So what did you pick?
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:49:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So what did you pick?
View Quote

I got a bunch from the first 10 replies or so, and saving the rest now...until I get him a new Kindle as his little brother poured water on his current one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 8:26:22 AM EDT
[#46]
your son may be way ahead of these type of books.
but I loved them when I was 10 ish
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Brain
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:03:36 PM EDT
[#47]
I loved the Xanth series by Piers Anthony when i was younger .

You can get the first three in one book on amazon

3 in 1
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:50:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My son is 13, and loved the Monster Hunter International and Hard Magic Series by Larry Correia-plenty of action and gun pron, virtually no bad language or sex.
View Quote

I'm a huge Larry Correia fan, but he uses the fuck word throughout the MHI series, with increasing frequency with each book.  He's a total gun guy and a member here, though he doesn't post much.  

In your original post you mention the "Underland Series".  Is that the series about Gregor the Overlander written by the same broad who wrote the Hunger Games?  If so, those are solid.  If not, get him the Gregor books.  

I'll throw in a +1 as well to the recommend for the Ranger's Apprentice series and the Redwall books.  

Brandon Sanderson wrote a book titled The Arithmatist.  It's lots of fun and supposedly the first in a series.  Very cool world with an original magic system (it's Sanderson, so what do you expect) but it is aimed squarely at the YA audience.  

ETA: I see a recommendation for the Dragonlance original series.  I actually would recommend The Legend of Huma as well, if not even more so.  It's a great book about loyalty and honor set in a totally campy 1980's D&D world.  Loads of fun.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:05:59 AM EDT
[#49]
There's a lot of good recommendations in this thread

Books among those I read at that age are:

White Fang
Call of the Wild
The silver brumby
Treasure Island
The last of the Mohicans
The Buffalo Hunter
Davy Crockett (series)
20.000 Leagues under the sea
Michael Strogoff (the courier of the Czar)
Tom Sawyer
King Solomon's mines
Biggles flies South
We were there at Pearl Harbour

Very good books all of them. I remember thinking the book about White Fang was quite brutal, regarding how he was treated by people and how unforgiving nature is.

ETA: Many of those books sparked a serious interest for history and nature.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm a huge Larry Correia fan, but he uses the fuck word throughout the MHI series, with increasing frequency with each book.  He's a total gun guy and a member here, though he doesn't post much.  

In your original post you mention the "Underland Series".  Is that the series about Gregor the Overlander written by the same broad who wrote the Hunger Games?  If so, those are solid.  If not, get him the Gregor books.  

I'll throw in a +1 as well to the recommend for the Ranger's Apprentice series and the Redwall books.  

Brandon Sanderson wrote a book titled The Arithmatist.  It's lots of fun and supposedly the first in a series.  Very cool world with an original magic system (it's Sanderson, so what do you expect) but it is aimed squarely at the YA audience.  

ETA: I see a recommendation for the Dragonlance original series.  I actually would recommend The Legend of Huma as well, if not even more so.  It's a great book about loyalty and honor set in a totally campy 1980's D&D world.  Loads of fun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks again for all the recs guys, I come back and check this on occasion when he needs new stuff. The kid is unstoppable. He's pushing 12 at this point too of course.

It's funny you mention Sanderson, I picked up the Mistborn series a while back, DAMN what a GREAT series!!!! I haven't read a book series with such a satisfying ending in a long time. My kid is reading the first one now.

I highly recommend it for adults and teens too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top