Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2014 11:59:25 PM EDT
I recently read Matt Brackens Enemies Foreign and Domestic trilogy, and just finished Castigo Bay.

What should I read next?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 3:31:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein. Book is FAR BETTER than the movie. Required reading at the USNA.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein. Book is FAR BETTER than the movie. Required reading at the USNA.
View Quote

Is that anything remotely like the Bracken books?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#3]
No, but it's a good book.

Are you looking for Action/Adventure, or more dystopian adventures?

Lots of post apocalyptic fiction out there, but do you want pre-fall stuff?

Details helps!
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Looking for informative, plausible fiction, but something to learn from.  Even non-fiction for prepping beyond the basics, I have that covered.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I assume you're read Lights Out?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:41:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I assume you're read Lights Out?
View Quote

yep read that years ago and the sequel.

and one second after and Patriots.

ETA.

Thanks, that jogged my memory, I will read the sequel to Patriots, I think I even have it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Samuel Adams: Father of the American Revolution

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51kpUrBZepL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0230614000?pc_redir=1405406556&robot_redir=1
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 2:59:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know the Bracken books.

Starship Troopers is, among other things, an exposition on what makes a good citizen. The book is a FAR cry from the movie; the movie takes some of the plot items (war with the bugs, for example) and ignores the essential theme of the book. (Imagine if Peter Jackson had taken The Hobbit and made a movie resembling Tremors.) The closest the movie gets to the theme of the book is at the space funeral/burial scene of trooper Dizzy where the squad leader says "The difference between the soldier and the civilian is that the soldier is prepared to lay down his life for the body politic."
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#9]
The Deguello.

Don't get put off by the title.  It's one of the best green beret books I've read.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Deguello.

Don't get put off by the title.  It's one of the best green beret books I've read.
View Quote

pretty good book, read it a coupla years ago
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#11]
+1 to Starship Troopers.  Also agree that the movie was crap.  I would recommend Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.  Another classic like Troopers, that (like Troopers) is a deceptively simple and seemingly juvenile story that actually has a lot to say.  Bradbury's novel is dystopian sci fi thriller that features a land ruled by a repressive totalitarian government that has banned books and controls all information and technology.  The book is also a celebration of literature itself by posting a reality where it does not exist.   No books or literature = no free expression= no connection to rest of humanity= ignorance of history= a crushed soul and learned helplessness.    Along with Starship Troopers, it should be required reading in schools (including college).
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 11:45:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I decided on

Collapse ( New America book 1)

by Richard Stephenson.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top