Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2014 7:01:29 PM EDT
Looking for a good audiobook for iPhone that doesn't require a subscription like audible, kindle or nook; but has descent books. I'm willing to pay for the books I just think its unnecessary to have a monthly subscription. Looking for a lot of Stephen King.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Check with your local library. Often they have audiobooks available on Overdrive and other similar services for free. Some of the books are in non DRM (Digital Right Management) format, usually MP3. I often hit my local library's media section every now and then to rip audiobook CD's to MP3 for playback. You may be able to reserve or request books from other libraries depending on how the library system works in your city/state.

There is also Librivox for really old books, from the 1920 and earlier where people have created audio books from them. The quality of the speaking voice isn't all that great at times but there may be some interesting old books available there. There used to be some audiobooks available on Youtube but those are slowly getting removed by Google/Youtube. Do a search of YouTube for Stephen King audiobooks and you'll find a few may still be available.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been listening to the Genghis Khan series:

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/119121.Conn_Iggulden

good historical fiction.

eta: They are available at my library.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#3]

2nd recommendation for your local library - a lot of libraries subscribe to a service called Overdrive which lets you download and "borrow" audiobooks without ever going to the library.  THere's a bunch of Stephen King's books on there right now.  The ones not on Overdrive are mostly available as audiobooks on CD from the actual library itself, you can just rip the CDs and listen to them at your leisure.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
2nd recommendation for your local library - a lot of libraries subscribe to a service called Overdrive which lets you download and "borrow" audiobooks without ever going to the library.  THere's a bunch of Stephen King's books on there right now.  The ones not on Overdrive are mostly available as audiobooks on CD from the actual library itself, you can just rip the CDs and listen to them at your leisure.
View Quote

OneClickDigital is another service in addition to Overdrive that my local library subscribes to. I also contact family members who live in other states and see if they can get a specific audiobook through their library (either via downloadable media or on audio CD) if my local library doesn't carry it (either on downloadable media or physical media). Downside to ripping CD's from the local library is that its inevitable that one disc, usually one in the middle, is scratched, completely ruined, or is missing entirely.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an Audible subscription and I love it.  Worth every penny.  My entertainment per dollar spent is way better then most things I buy,
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an Audible subscription and I love it.  Worth every penny.  My entertainment per dollar spent is way better then most things I buy,
View Quote

OP indicated they wanted something "that doesn't require a subscription like audible".

Audible is a good service for those who are willing to pay for it. If you don't want to pay then there are some alternatives. Downside is those alternatives may not have the content your looking for or it may not be in the format your looking for (i.e. DRM free).
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top