Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2014 11:46:03 PM EDT
I'm thinking along the lines of Dresden files or Iron druid chronicles.  Every other series I've looked at seems to be steered towards women with the whole "I quivered when his eyes flashed his bearing at me" bullshit.

I was able to stomach The Hollows by Kim Harrison, but only barely.  I want fun and adventure, not romance.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:51:02 PM EDT
[#1]
No, man. Black people don't like dragons and stuff.

ETA: Whoops! Not in GD.
ETA2: Sorry, I don't know any Urban Fantasy that isn't a hilarious joke on the "Urban Fiction" section I saw in Barnes & Noble once, please enjoy this bump and me looking like a dumbass instead.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 12:13:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No, man. Black people don't like dragons and stuff.

ETA: Whoops! Not in GD.

ETA2: Sorry, I don't know any Urban Fantasy that isn't a hilarious joke on the "Urban Fiction" section I saw in Barnes & Noble once, please enjoy this bump and me looking like a dumbass instead.
View Quote

I had no idea there was such a thing as urban fiction, thank you for enlightening me.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The Monster Hunter International and Grimnoir Chronicle series by Larry Correia are exactly what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:19:55 AM EDT
[#4]
WTF is URBAN FANTASY?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
WTF is URBAN FANTASY?
View Quote

Urban fantasy is a sub-genre of fantasy defined by place; the fantastic narrative has an urban setting. Urban fantasy exists on one side of a spectrum, opposite high fantasy, which is set in an entirely fictitious world. Many urban fantasies are set in contemporary times and contain supernatural elements. However, the stories can take place in historical, modern, or futuristic periods, and the settings may include fictional elements. The prerequisite is that they must be primarily set in a city.

-Wikipedia

Apparently it's a genre of low fantasy that takes place in the "real" world with supernatural stuff added (as opposed to high fantasy, which would take place in some other created world, like narnia or nirn or whatever). ETA: and takes place in a city, obviously.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:06:46 AM EDT
[#6]
just finished steelheart.  i loved sanderson's other books (mistborn, finishing wheel of time, etc), but this book read like a far too cheesy young adult novel.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Urban fantasy is a sub-genre of fantasy defined by place; the fantastic narrative has an urban setting. Urban fantasy exists on one side of a spectrum, opposite high fantasy, which is set in an entirely fictitious world. Many urban fantasies are set in contemporary times and contain supernatural elements. However, the stories can take place in historical, modern, or futuristic periods, and the settings may include fictional elements. The prerequisite is that they must be primarily set in a city.

-Wikipedia

Apparently it's a genre of low fantasy that takes place in the "real" world with supernatural stuff added (as opposed to high fantasy, which would take place in some other created world, like narnia or nirn or whatever). ETA: and takes place in a city, obviously.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF is URBAN FANTASY?

-Wikipedia

low budget steampunk? What ever it is, as long as it's a good read, is all that matters.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:21:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

just finished steelheart.  i loved sanderson's other books (mistborn, finishing wheel of time, etc), but this book read like a far too cheesy young adult novel.

View Quote
I listened to that audiobook a month ago, and I agree.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
low budget steampunk? What ever it is, as long as it's a good read, is all that matters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF is URBAN FANTASY?

-Wikipedia

In my mind, it's modern day tech with magic and monsters.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Monster Hunter International and Grimnoir Chronicle series by Larry Correia are exactly what you are looking for.
View Quote

These.  The author is an Arfcommer.  Well, kind he's quiet here.  But, big over at THR.

Any Arfcommer Reader that hasn't read the Monster Hunter series needs to!  Great gun details, and the story overall is pretty dang good.

(My wife reads a lot of Urban Fantasy.  She even enjoyed MHI.)
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#11]
For those that are asking, UF is basically modern day 'reality' but throw in monsters and magic.  Think Buffy the Vampire Slayer type stuff.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#12]
What about John Dies at the End? It might be horror more than fantasy, but it takes place in the modern era, has crazy supernatural shit, and it's hysterically funny.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Not quite urban fantasy, but have you read Tad Williams' War of the Flowers?  I picked it up before a flight a few years back and it kind of meets your requirements even though it's only a single book (not a series).
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not quite urban fantasy, but have you read Tad Williams' War of the Flowers?  I picked it up before a flight a few years back and it kind of meets your requirements even though it's only a single book (not a series).
View Quote

I wish more writers would do a single book vs. series. This dragging a story line on till last book in series published / 5 years later sucks.  Not to mention the cliched retired SF joins up with widowed teacher, school misfit etc stuff.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Try the Nightside books by Simon R. Green.  There is a British humor madcap style to it, and the writer doesn't know shit about guns, but they are entertaining..  They are quick reads, but there are quite a few of them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Edit: Derp. You mentioned the Dresden Files.

Have you tried Hounded? Iron Druid Chronicles. Not as good as Dresden, but not bad.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I've got more stuff to read now.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Have you tried Hounded? Iron Druid Chronicles. Not as good as Dresden, but not bad.
View Quote
Yep, iron druid chronicles was hilarious.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#20]
You might like "100 Days in Deadland" by Rachel Aukes. It's a zombie based Dante's Inferno, with a bit of prepping thrown in....
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 8:17:30 AM EDT
[#21]
The Monster Hunter series and Repairman Jack will keep you busy for awhile.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 12:28:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Atticus "Thor is a dick".

Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top