Page / 64
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 2:13:54 AM EDT
[#1]
The Android's Dream by Scalzi
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 3:04:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Panzer Ace: The Memoirs of Iron Cross Panzer Commander from Barbarossa to Normandy by Richard von Rosen
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 10:16:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 4v50:
Panzer Ace: The Memoirs of Iron Cross Panzer Commander from Barbarossa to Normandy by Richard von Rosen
View Quote
I highly recommend this book.   Author was recruited as a fahenjunker (officer cadet) and is made a tank gunner.  He serves in Russia for a while before being sent back for more training.  He is later transferred to a Tiger (I) company and fights near Stalingrad and Kursk.  Then they are transferred to Normandy where he is injured again (Operation Goodwood).   He later commands a heavy Tiger platoon & company and suffers his third wound.   Like Adventures in My Youth, you learn what it is like to be an officer cadet in WW II Germany before being made an officer and commanding a platoon.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 10:17:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Eugene Luciano's Our Blood and His Guts.  4th Armored Division armored infantryman's account of WW II.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 10:11:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Chuikov's The Battle for Stalingrad.
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Hking42:
Been on a Revolutionary War binge of late, just finished Rick Atkinson's "The British Are Coming" but I found it to be inferior to David Hackett Fischer's "Paul Reveres Ride."  Next up, Walter Edgar's "Partisans and Redcoats" and George Daughan's  "Lexington and Concord."

Hking
View Quote
I always wished they'd reissue the Kenneth Roberts books about The Revolutionary War period (mid 1750's to The War of 1812).
Historical novels, sure, but really good writing.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#9]
John Walter’s Snipers at War
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 11:37:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#11]
The Stand by Stephen King
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series.  On the 5th book.  PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Currently re-reading Ghost by Oh John Ringo NO.

book 3, the one with all the pedo politicians on video raping and killing little girls was fucking prophetic.

How EVERY .gov wants that shit buried.

Reality, is they just kill the operator in a prison cell and hide the hard drives from the public.

Fuckers.

Txl
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:54:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Kind of touchy feely but I like John Joseph and have loved the Cromags forever. Currently reading his book, The PMA Effect.

J-
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Rose Madder, Stephen King, just finished "The Cell" , same author
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Weber & Ringo's Empire of Man series.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 10:42:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 74HC] [#17]
View Quote
Started reading based upon your post here.  Currently near the end of book two.  Reads similar to another series, David Poyer's books, I believe.

David Poyer was a Naval officer.  Thus, he's writing of details of a naval battle is better.   Rosone was Army, iirc. Still a good, fictional read though.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 1:39:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By MOS68W:
Been about nine weeks since my last update.

Started/Ongoing:

Aftershocks: The Palladium Wars, Book 1 by Marko Kloos. A very interesting if rather slow intro to a new universe Kloos is building. Unfortunately I'm concerned about its viability; the author has demonstrated that he can create reasonably engaging stories but doesn't have a strategy to wrap up a saga. Authors can write like that and be successful, but he simply lacks the output to keep that going. I don't know if Frontlines is dead or what, and I just don't want to get suckered into another extended series with no exit plan.

Monster Hunter: Guardian by Larry Correia. Interesting with the change of narrator, not far in yet. I'm a tad worried that this series is starting to stagnate as well, but I've never read much by Larry that I didn't like so I'll keep the faith.

Thrawn: Treason by Timothy Zahn.  Thrawn was excellent; Thrawn: Alliances was sort of meh. Jury's still out on this third installment.

Castles of Steel by Robert K. Massie. An unusually comprehensive (and lengthy) account of World War I at sea. So far I'm quite enjoying it; nice to know other things happened than just Jutland. He gets bogged down in the details from time to time, and it can occasionally be difficult to follow without a map at your fingertips, but it seems a very well-researched and inclusive work. I'd strongly recommend it to those with interest in naval history.

Manual for Survival by Kate Brown. An accounting, through interviews of firsthand participants, of those impacted by the Chernobyl disaster and the subsequent clunky and heavy-handed government response. Pretty gripping so far, though I have a lot left to read.

Clash of the Carriers by Barrett Tillman. It started to bore me a bit, and I wasn't sure if it was the work itself or the fact that I've read any number of books on the topic. Might need to reboot and start from the beginning to give it a fair shake.

Finished:

Re-read/listened to all (yes all) 21 Sharpe novels, from Sharpe's Tiger to Sharpe's Devil, by Bernard Cornwell. Also started watching the BBC program(me). For anyone unfamiliar, think of Richard Sharpe as the antithesis of Jack Aubrey: son of a whore vs man from a family of distinction, army vs navy, enlisted man (initially) vs officer, thief, murderer, and blaggard vs upstanding citizen, socially awkward vs bombastic and expansive, etc, etc. Also instead of a diminutive, clever scientist and doctor Irishman as a sidekick (Aubrey), Sharpe has a simple, brutish, and massive Irishman as a sidekick. I can't recommend this series enough.
View Quote
Never read or seen the Sharpe novels but have been sorely tempted.  Read his Grail books, first 6 or 7 Last Kingdomb books, his American Civil War books, and several stand alones.  All books that I found at university libraries or could buy paperbacks of for under $4.  These days though, I hate buying paperbacks (even used ones) due to the clutter.  And I Just cant get over the price Cornwell charges for his kindlebooks.  $15 for 400 pages?  Get fucked.  maybe 1200 pages.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#20]
The Myth of Male Power, by Warren Farrell.

Men are the disposable sex.  Dangerous to read.  Depressing to read, if you are male.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 12:45:28 AM EDT
[#21]
King David's Spaceship by Pournelle
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 4:21:10 AM EDT
[#22]
The Critique of Pure Reason - Immanuel Kant - 17% (Meiklejohn translation)
The Unfettered Mind - Takuan Soho - 41%
You Are Not So Smart - David McRaney - 29%
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 6:18:57 AM EDT
[#23]
The Flesh Eaters by L.A. Morse loosely based exploits of the infamous Scottish highwayman/ cannibal Sawney Beane only 56 pages into the book and I've already witnessed a public branding, an execution rape murder and Sawney and his bitch licking blood of her dead abusive/ incestuous daddy smearing getting naked smearing said blood all over themselves and making out before hightailing it to the moors not for pussies that's for sure.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 8:06:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MadMonkey] [#24]
Just finished The Postman and a few non-fictions.

The former was okay. Very slanted against survivalists though.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Count of Monte Cristo

Almost finished.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:

View Quote
David Brin is a bit of a libtard from what I understand, he and Jerry Pournelle would get into some serious arguments
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By bssrf4:
Count of Monte Cristo

Almost finished.
View Quote
Absolutely one of my favorite books, I've read it at least 5 times, unabridged
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By strider98:
David Brin is a bit of a libtard from what I understand, he and Jerry Pournelle would get into some serious arguments
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By strider98:
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:

I just remembered hearing how great the book was in the past so I thought I'd try it. The first half or so was actually really good, then it tried to make a point
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#29]
I had a pretty shitty November so I'm rereading this to remind myself that others had worse struggles

Link Posted: 12/8/2019 3:49:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mPisi] [#30]
Listening to a free audio book Dry by Neal Schusterman.  Not worth what I paid for it.  It's a good apocalyptic scenario about a water crisis in southern California.  Could have been a good example of normalcy bias and other survival aspects in a suburban setting.  Gave up after about half due to terrible gun errors, overwrought prose, and unrealistic characters and scenes.

Reading Sanction by Roman McClay.  Only 33% done so not sure yet.  Taking forever.  Half is annoying, half interesting.  Writing style is part of the annoying.  There might be a good story in there eventually, but it's too fragmented to be sure yet.  Still optimistic I guess.

The Guardians
by John Grisham is not actually a sequel to The Guardians series by "Richard Austin" starting in 1985.  That is all.

(not really all, that was a fun action post-nuclear war series in what the bookstore used to classify as "men's adventure".  Some great battle scenes.  So odd now that there were very few AR or AK guns in the show outside of military M16s.  All 1911s and revolvers too IIRC.  But that was the state of civilian  armament in the early 1980s.)
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Read over a dozen books mostly by US infantrymen who served in WW II.  Recently finished Robert Humphrey's Once Upon A Time IN War about the 99th Infantry (Checkerboard).  Their first major action was as a green division in the Ardennes.  They didn't fare the worst (Recon & Intelligence platoon of 3/364th Infantry did a very credible job of delaying the Germans) and there was one division that had 2 out of three infantry regiments captured (106th Infantry Div).
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 12:48:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Evolution of a Cro-Magnon by John Joseph of the Cro-Mags.

J-
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Nero’s Killing Machine. The 14th Legion
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 1:13:14 AM EDT
[#34]
A Republic, If You Can Keep It
By: Justice Neil M. Gorsuch
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 11:22:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari, and Their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans

Again  
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Col. R. Ernest Dupuy's St. Vith: Lion In The Way.  It's about the ill-spoken 106th Infantry Division at Bastonge.  Two of its infantry regiments were captured but the third joined in the defense of St. Vith.

As for the two that were captured, no division (including the Big Red 1, 29th, 36th, 45th, 82, 101) could have held that 22-27 miles of land.  They were on the east side of the Our River with only two bridges available to them to escape west. The Germans captured the bridges and their ammunition was nearly exhausted.  Air supply was cancelled and they had no choice but to surrender.  Blame Allied Command for its failure to approve of the request to withdraw.   It was felt that since the 106 held part of the West Wall (sometimes called the Siegfried Line), that it the salient could be used as a springboard into Germany.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Our Wild Calling by Richard Louv
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Five Years to Freedom
By: James N Rowe
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 10:56:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Just completed:

A Writer at War: A Soviet Journalist with the Red Army, 1941-1945 by Vasily Grossman

Now:

Black Earth: The Holocaust As History and Warning by Timothy Snyder and “And Yet...”: Essays by Christopher Hitchens.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Terlinguachili:

A Writer at War: A Soviet Journalist with the Red Army, 1941-1945 by Vasily Grossman

Now:

Black Earth: The Holocaust As History and Warning by Timothy Snyder and “And Yet...”: Essays by Christopher Hitchens.
View Quote
@Terlinguachili - are there a lot of sniping incidents in Grossman's book?  I know he mentioned sniping in his newspaper articles.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Rehfeldt's Mortar Gunner On The Eastern Front.

Re: Dupuy's book on the 106 at St. Vith, it needs a lot more maps.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Case White-Forczyk

The fall of Poland; dispels many accepted myths. Forczyk is very critical of many contemporary historians who all but ignored the Polish side and accepted the German/Soviet accounts as gospel. The Polish archives were saved and went to the West and have been available for some time.

Just started but very good so far.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#43]
John L. Stewart's The Forbidden Diary
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 1:39:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Just starting The Angelic Conflict by RB Thieme Jr.

It's a Christian book on well, the title.  Before mankind and what happened.  It was free, but I had to order it.

About 150 pages by an ww2 LTC with 53 years and degrees  From the Dallas Theological Seminary.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Allen F. Chew's The White Death.  It's about the Winter War.  Chew taught at the Air Force Academy and has crossed the Styx.  Too bad as I have questions.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 8:49:14 PM EDT
[#46]
The Catalyzing Mind: Beyond Models of Causality. Picked up this book thinking it would be another formula dense academics book, but it's quite approachable for the amateur with a good philosophy and biology background. I've never read anything from a theoretical biology perspective, and so far it's interesting.

Peter Watts' Rifters trilogy, Starfish. I liked Blindsight, and Echopraxia was ok.

Causality: Models, Reasoning, and Inference by Judea Pearl. I heard his recent Book of Why was controversial so I'm reading this one first. The main attraction is the unification of probability with causality in machine learning.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 1:35:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Johnny Carson, by Henry Bushkin.
He was Johnny's attorney, business partner, tennis partner, manager, adviser, sounding board, fellow skirt chaser, confidant and companion.  He was his closest friend for 18 years as far as Johnny could be a friend. Then 1 day he just dismissed him.

I had no idea of his depth. He was truly a star among stars, but he was emotionally retarded. His mother really fucked him up!
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Hell, I was there by Elmer Keith

One of my favorites. How life was in the west 100 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#49]
"Every tool's a hammer"
By Adam Savage

A cross between an autobiography, a how-to book, and his personal philosophy.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 9:46:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grizz272] [#50]
Andrew Jackson and the Miracle of New Orleans: The Battle That Shaped America's Destiny by Brian Kilmeade
Page / 64
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top