Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Page / 64
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Douglas Nash's Victory Was Beyond Their Grasp.  It's about the 272 Volks-Grenadier Division.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Fighting Through To Hitler's Germany.  It's about 1st Suffolk Regt.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Just started True Believer by Jack Carr
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 8:34:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I blew through Jurassic Park and am about 40% through The Lost World. Also reading Team Yankee by Harold Coyle
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 1:30:26 PM EDT
[#5]
A Thousand Places Left Behind by Peter & E. R. Lutken.  P. Lutken was part of Britain's V Force and later the OSS Detachment 101.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 11:27:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Arnhem Spearhead by James Sims.  British para account of serving under Col. Frost and his Stalag stay.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 11:32:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you Jeeves- P.G. Wodehouse

The plague of Models-Kenneth Green

The ministry of ungentlemanly warfare-Damien Lewis
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Wilfried Sonnenthal's Memories of the Waffen SS
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Smurf10161:
Thank you Jeeves- P.G. Wodehouse

The plague of Models-Kenneth Green

The ministry of ungentlemanly warfare-Damien Lewis
View Quote

What are your thoughts on the last one? I was considering buying it
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 7:21:37 AM EDT
[#10]
"Life for Sale" by Yukio Mishima
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By strider98:

What are your thoughts on the last one? I was considering buying it
View Quote

$4 kindle version made it an easy decision for me, still in the middle of it. It's a good read of military adventure, some parts you may find comical-they were trained extensively to shoot pistols from the hip, try giving that advice in modern times.

Enjoyable enough for the price point
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:10:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Finished Albert Schwenn's Memoires of the Waffen SS

Presently I'm read Ed Eaton's Mekong Mud Dogs.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Empire of Man series by David Weber and John Ringo
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Ghost Wars by Steve Coll. Mostly listening as I drive a lot, and that's my only free time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:31:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban. Picked it up on a whim, and I love it. Next up, Armor.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Rock Force.  About the recapture of Corregidor.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 11:26:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Saga of the All American.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Right Ho, Jeeves (book 6) P.G. Wodehouse

The true history of the American revolution- Sydney George Fisher
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Put down Saga to read Alan Scott's Born to Survive.  It's an autobiography of a RAF fighter pilot.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 7:50:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#21]
Finished both Saga and Born, now Four Hours of Fury about the 17th Airborne in Varsity.

ETA:  Best account of the American glider troop landing (or not) experience.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:17:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Still slowly reading wars of the Jews.  

Started Unintended Consequences.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 7:47:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 103:
Ghost Wars by Steve Coll. Mostly listening as I drive a lot, and that's my only free time.
View Quote

I read that in 2007. Amazing book.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm in the early part of Wild Bill Donovan: The Last Hero.

The book was sanctioned by the CIA, but the author does note in the forward that the FOUR prior authors who attempted to do a biography of Donovan were discouraged from doing so and ALL died before they completed their work.

So far the book certainly puts a positive light on Donovan, but even then it drops bombs.  Donovan was in the Oval Office in the hours after the Pearl Harbor attack and he notes "If the casualties, both human and material, had not been so heavy, the President might have been in a joyful mood."... Yes "The President's surprise was not as great as that of the other men around him. Nor was the attack{on Pearl Harbor} unwelcome. It had ended the past months of uncertainty caused by FDR's decision that Japan must be seen to make the first overt move."

Why did America turn away from it's founding principles after WW2?  

Donovan's "chief accomplishment being that he prodded Washington military and political thought in 1940 from a doctrine established by George Washington into the twentieth century"
View Quote

Yeah, this book is a page turner.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Fall, or Dodge in Hell, Neal Stephenson
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:02:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By GrayMan66:
Fall, or Dodge in Hell, Neal Stephenson
View Quote

I need to try that again, really didn't like it much the first time.  And I actually liked REAMDE the second time around.  But the real-life parts of Fall were sometimes really interesting, but so slanted that was uncharacteristic of Stephenson.  I think he got a bit of TDS, but seemed to have recovered somewhat by Termination Shock, which was super.  I can go on and on about how Fall was uncharacteristic of Stephenson's political criticisms.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:39:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Just started Human Action by Ludwig Von Mises today, first time reading econ theory.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 2:29:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GrayMan66] [#29]
Originally Posted By mPisi:

I need to try that again, really didn't like it much the first time.  And I actually liked REAMDE the second time around.  But the real-life parts of Fall were sometimes really interesting, but so slanted that was uncharacteristic of Stephenson.  I think he got a bit of TDS, but seemed to have recovered somewhat by Termination Shock, which was super.  I can go on and on about how Fall was uncharacteristic of Stephenson's political criticisms.
View Quote

I had a similar reaction somewhere in the first 200 pages, but pressed on.  I'm 600 pages in now.  It's entertaining and somewhat thought provoking  I'm curious how he'll wrap it up.

I haven't read REAMDE or Termination Shock, but most of the others.  Cryptonomicon was my first and it took me a while to adjust to his style.  I was hooked shortly after.  I really enjoyed The Baroque Cycle trilogy (I read it before it was released in more numerous shorter volumes) and Anathem.

I'll save commentary on this one until I've finished it and had some time to think about it.  Two things I like about Stephenson are that I often learn something new and usually some part of the story gives me a new insight or something deep to think about for a few days.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 5:20:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mPisi] [#30]

I had a similar reaction somewhere in the first 200 pages, but pressed on.  I'm 600 pages in now.  It's entertaining and somewhat thought provoking  I'm curious how he'll wrap it up.

I haven't read REAMDE or Termination Shock, but most of the others.  Cryptonomicon was my first and it took me a while to adjust to his style.  I was hooked shortly after.  I really enjoyed The Baroque Cycle trilogy (I read it before it was released in more numerous shorter volumes) and Anathem.

I'll save commentary on this one until I've finished it and had some time to think about it.  Two things I like about Stephenson are that I often learn something new and usually some part of the story gives me a new insight or something deep to think about for a few days.
View Quote

I also highly recommend Seveneves out of his recent work, but I'm something of a minority in that.

REAMDE is more of an action-adventure story, inconsistent but had its moments.

Termination Shock was fantastic to me, but it had so many cultural touchpoints with me that I thought he really nailed (Texas ranch/bayou culture, Indian expats in Canada and returning to India) that it was a guided missile to my head.  It's more of a 10-years-away from today thing, not far-out scifi, like a really good novel with a lot of Stephenson prediction about 4th or 5th gen war.  

If you read Termination Shock then I can talk about how Fall was so atypical to have the overt political commentary.  Works like Cryptonomion and Termination Shock had it too, but much more fair and subtle.  Perhaps I have been skewed by 2020 too.  You would not believe Fall was published in mid-2019, the Moab thing is perfectly descriptive of the two views of the 2020 election, riots, covid, and December 37th.  That's why I do give Fall some credit despite not liking it much to read the AI parts.  But Stephenson does not really dive into it much, he has to skip forward too soon.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#31]

I also highly recommend Seveneves out of his recent work, but I'm something of a minority in that.

Termination Shock was fantastic to me, but it had so many cultural touchpoints with me that I thought he really nailed (Texas ranch/bayou culture, Indian expats in Canada and returning to India) that it was a guided missile to my head.  It's more of a 10-years-away from today thing, not far-out scifi, like a really good novel with a lot of Stephenson prediction about 4th or 5th gen war.  

If you read Termination Shock then I can talk about how Fall was so atypical to have the overt political commentary.  Works like Cryptonomion and Termination Shock had it too, but much more fair and subtle.  Perhaps I have been skewed by 2020 too.  You would not believe Fall was published in mid-2019, the Moab thing is perfectly descriptive of the two views of the 2020 election, riots, covid, and December 37th.  That's why I do give Fall some credit despite not liking it much to read the AI parts.  But Stephenson does not really dive into it much, he has to skip forward too soon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Seveneves wasn't too bad of a concept, but he missed several things that would have happened or wouldn't happened.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:01:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GrayMan66] [#32]
I read Seveneves right after it came out.  It was ok, but not as good as Cryptonomicon or The Baroque Cycle.  I enjoyed Snow Crash, but The Diamond Age was better.  The Moab and Ameristan stuff were not up to par.

ETA

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:14:54 PM EDT
[#33]
I just finished "The Unit" by "Adam Gamal".

Some really snaky Delta Force people in a unit so secret it has no name just code names that constantly change.
Early names were "The Army of Northern Virginia" and "Gray Fox".
They do the targeting for Delta and SEAL 6, and on demand do the hitting themselves.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By DaGoose:
Seveneves wasn't too bad of a concept, but he missed several things that would have happened or wouldn't happened.
Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

I can't comment on the science or their strategy.  Would love to see Stephenson's depiction of riding on an Orion vehicle.  But to me the appeal of Seveneves is that it's a most "human" book.  Showing the full range of human behavior from the most noble to the most horrible.  I only have a few books in this category for me.  The six pages of Doob's trip with his son to the launch pad near Seattle is some of Neal's best writing for celebration of western civilization, poignancy of imminent death amidst your family, and inviting the reader to think about what it must have been like there for the next 20 months, just trying to send one more load.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#35]
I read Seveneves right after it came out.  It was ok, but not as good as Cryptonomicon or The Baroque Cycle.  I enjoyed Snow Crash, but The Diamond Age was better.  The Moab and Ameristan stuff were not up to par.

ETA

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

People on Reddit get mad when you point out that driving a technical was the best way to visit certain cities in 2020.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Stephen Ambrose's D-Day.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Wild Town Jim Thompson

The Code of the Woosters book 7, P. G. Wodehouse

The Causes of the Civil War Kenneth M Stampp
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#38]
The Martian
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 3:24:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Just finished Three Body Problem.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:04:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GrayMan66] [#40]
Finally finished Fall this morning.  Lame ending.  I'd rate it the worst of his books that I've read.  The last couple hundred pages just dragged on for too long.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#41]
The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare by Damien Lewis (not THAT Damien Lewis)
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:03:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Put down Ambrose for Beevor's book, The Battle for Arnhem.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:37:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Alf Blackburn's War Memories.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Edison by Morris.

You could spend a lifetime going down the rabbit hole of Notes.
The first chapter (Part One) has 255 notes.

Apparently Edison had enough eccentricity and oddness to match his genius.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Dune
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Started The Windup Girl and Hail Mary. Still working on The Rise and Fall of DODO.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:46:41 AM EDT
[#47]
I finished Kill Anything That Moves, The Real American War in Vietnam.  Difficult subject to read about, very one sided book, can't recommend it.

Just started Trilobyte by JL Bourne.  I've read his Day by Day Armageddon series and enjoyed them, but this one just doesn't do anything for me.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Fearless Story of Navy Seal Adams Browns life. Very good so far
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Cropper's Cabin Jim Thompson

the Attack Kurt Schlichter
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Just finished up the Turnbull series by Kurt Schlichter

looking forward to the next one
Page / 64
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top