Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 6/3/2012 6:24:03 AM EDT
Bought the eARC last night.  I regretted it, but only because I couldn't put the damn thing down until I finished the whole damn book. 6 1/2 hours later I finally was able to get to sleep.

If you like the MHI series, it's a great read.  If you haven't read the others, you might be lost if try to start with this one.

Another great read, Larry.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 8:14:29 AM EDT
[#1]
How did you get this?  

I love the series.  The new book doesn't show as being out yet.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to: Monster Hunter Legion add it to your cart and then you can download it to whatever reader you use.  I use an iPad and use the kindle download.

eARCs haven't fully been proof read/edited.  So you will find some obvious errors grammatically.  I noticed a half dozen or so at least.  But I am not a patient man when it comes to books so it was well worth it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Holy shit.

You are my new favorite person ever.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 10:07:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm waiting on the book release.  I've read the first seven chapters and liked what I saw.  I've recently re-read MH-Alpha, it was a good refresher.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 2:25:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I am looking forward to it!  Love the MHI series.

I am mildly torn about whether or not to get it on my Kindle.  You see, I have a bit of a collector/hoarder streak in me, and I have all the other physical books, so I want to buy Legion to add to the shelf...but no one ever sees that, so I should get it on the kindle which I love reading on....heh.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I no longer have room for physical books.  Almost everything I get now is an ebook.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Just finished it this evening.

Dammit Correia! Write faster!

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:07:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I loved the first three, which I bought in paperback.  I find I prefer reading paper vs. electrons.  Although I'm re-reading some Edgar Rice Burroughs on my smart phone, it's just not the same.

I will eagerly await the next installment printed on dead trees.

Hey Mr. Correia, ever though of doing a book signing in the Albany NY area?

David

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I read it a  couple weeks ago and thought it was great.  "Go into the light, brave little bird!"

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I've read it twice and have come to the conclusion that I will no longer start a series until all of the books are out.  Larry needs to hurry up and get the last two out.

Prep
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I read it a  couple weeks ago and thought it was great.  "Go into the light, brave little bird!"

Rik, that is the exact line that stuck with me from this book.  I laughed out loud when I read it.  
When I first heard a few years ago about Correia's novels, I have to admit that I kind of dismissed the idea of them as one-dimensional fanfiction from a gunboard denizen with too much time on his hands.  I could not have been more wrong.  Larry is a tremendously imaginative and talented writer, and I am very glad I gave his books a chance.  I love how he is always turning cliches around to be viewed from another angle.  His characters have much more depth than I have come to expect from novels in this genre.  And lastly, his action sequences are unequaled.  
It almost goes without saying that his books need to be adapted to the big screen.  There is one scene in particular that I NEED to see on screen before I die:
Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 5:59:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Rik, that is the exact line that stuck with me from this book.  I laughed out loud when I read it.  

When I first heard a few years ago about Correia's novels, I have to admit that I kind of dismissed the idea of them as one-dimensional fanfiction from a gunboard denizen with too much time on his hands.  I could not have been more wrong.  Larry is a tremendously imaginative and talented writer, and I am very glad I gave his books a shot chance.  I love how he is always turning cliches around to be viewed from another angle.  His characters have much more depth than I have come to expect from novels in this genre.  And lastly, his action sequences are unequaled.  

It almost goes without saying that his books need to be adapted to the big screen.  There is one scene in particular that I NEED to see on screen before I die:

Click To View Spoiler

I think rights were sold for a TV show.  Hopefully we'll get a HBO/Showtime Deadwood/Game of Thrones production, and not a SyFy one....
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think rights were sold for a TV show.  

Wait, what?

Serious? Really?

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think rights were sold for a TV show.  

Wait, what?

Serious? Really?

I don't know about that, but I remember seeing a post from Correia somewhere (possibly here) that when he was in talks for movie rights a while back, the Hollywood people were considering Toby Maguire for the role of Owen Pitt.  He was shocked that they would even consider someone who was practically the polar opposite of the character he had created for his books.  

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#15]
They have signed physical copies on sell at amazon for only 14 dollars right now. I ordered mine and I'm waiting for it to arrive to read it.

Link Posted: 9/3/2012 11:19:19 AM EDT
[#16]
I got a copy from a local used bookstore that accidentally put out their copies early.  

Here is my detailed review:

Holy fuck.

The story line about Owen Zastava Pitt being the Chosen One doesn't move forward too much, but it ends with a huge set up for the next book that is supposed to focus on Agent Franks the way Monster Hunter Alpha focused on Earl Harbinger.  

The action is awesome like all his books, and he doesn't cut back on the gun nut stuff either, which is a worry I had as he gets more and more popular.  

And I will without question continue to keep him on my Insta-Buy Authors list as he is the only author I have come across where in the middle of a firefight between a dragon and a group of monster hunters in a Russian MI-24 Hind over Vegas the orc who pilots the helicopter insists that they make a sacrifice to the spirits of the tail rotor so they throw a fucking live chicken out the door into said tail rotor.  

It's like he writes how I think which I find simultaneously troubling and reassuring.  

If you've read his previous Monster Hunter books and liked them, go get this one without fear.  Correia's writing from a technnical standpoint continues to improve and his characters and narrative remain at their usual high standard.  I just wish his output for 2012 matched his 2011 output.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2012 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Great read. Wished Larry wrote faster, but in the meantime his blog is pretty entertaining
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Great read. Wished Larry wrote faster, but in the meantime his blog is pretty entertaining

He writes very, very quickly.  Very few writers can produce quality material as quickly as he does.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:23:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

He writes very, very quickly.  Very few writers can produce quality material as quickly as he does.

Yup.  Most writers in the fantasy/sci-fi and action thirller genres typically pump out a book every 12-18 months.  Some of the more popular authors in these genres (I'm thinking of a particular bearded fat man) have years between books.  Prior to Larry, the closest guy for output that I enjoyed reading was David Gemmell who put out about a book every 9 to twelve months.  Between September 2010 and November 1, 2011 Larry put out MH Vendetta, Hard Magic, MH Alpha, Dead Six, and Spellbound.  Now, granted, those are pbulishing dates and not all of those books were written in a 14 month period for sure, and one was co-written so technically Larry only wrote half the book, but holy shit.  That's more than one book per quarter, and the guy works a day job on top of that.  It's great to enjoy the work of an author who has the work ethic of an old-school farm kid.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 2:24:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They have signed physical copies on sell at amazon for only 14 dollars right now. I ordered mine and I'm waiting for it to arrive to read it.  

I ordered it as well back on Aug 2.  Solved my Kindle vs Physical Copy debate in an instant!

I am waiting for it extremely impatiently. For some reason, Amazon says I should get it next Monday.

Link Posted: 9/10/2012 12:58:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Link?????
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 1:25:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ordered it as well back on Aug 2.  Solved my Kindle vs Physical Copy debate in an instant!

I am waiting for it extremely impatiently. For some reason, Amazon says I should get it next Monday.

quoting myself here...

Sigh, now they're saying sometime between 09-21 and 09-27.  I know these are done, the author on Facebook was talking about it.  Wonder why amazon is fucking around here...
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?????

Monster Hunter Nation

You, too, can become part of the MHI team! Do ya wanna live fore...er, wrong book!
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 8:16:11 AM EDT
[#24]
I still haven't received my copy. I ordered it back on July 4th and amazon was supposed to have it on my door step on September 14th. Now when I look at the order it says estimated date Oct 4th to Nov 14th. This is bullshit. It has the seller as Amazon LLC..

I used their little customer service links and sent them an email but I have a feeling I might not be seeing this book unless I go out and buy it at a book store.

Does Barnes and Noble carry this series?

Link Posted: 9/23/2012 2:26:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yes.
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I still haven't received my copy. I ordered it back on July 4th and amazon was supposed to have it on my door step on September 14th. Now when I look at the order it says estimated date Oct 4th to Nov 14th. This is bullshit. It has the seller as Amazon LLC..

I used their little customer service links and sent them an email but I have a feeling I might not be seeing this book unless I go out and buy it at a book store.

I've been thinking of cancelling my signed copy order from Amazon as well.  This is silly.  I have a feeling they only had, like 500 copies, but sold like, 5000 and don't know what to do or something.
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 9:31:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been thinking of cancelling my signed copy order from Amazon as well.  This is silly.  I have a feeling they only had, like 500 copies, but sold like, 5000 and don't know what to do or something.

That is what happened from what I can tell after deciphering their return email. It says they had a larger demand then expected and are accommodating the customers as fast as they can.

I did just go out and buy it today at Barnes and Noble for some reason it is 20% off there I have no idea why. I'll keep my amazon order I guess and give away the one I bought at Barnes and Noble as a gift to someone at Christmas.

At least for now I get to read a finished copy of the book!

Link Posted: 9/24/2012 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#28]
If you check Larry's website - he was doing signings for the last 3 weeks, and Uncle Hugo's had signed copies.

He doesn't love us anymore /sob/ and hasn't been down here in - weeks!

ETA:
http://www.unclehugo.com/prod/ah-correia-larry.php

Left cold, but he was signing there the 18th of Sep. You might be able to get a copy from them.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Wow just finished it and I loved it. Amazing book, it felt different then the others but still good. I could probably re-read it again right now and have a good time.

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If you check Larry's website - he was doing signings for the last 3 weeks, and Uncle Hugo's had signed copies.

He doesn't love us anymore /sob/ and hasn't been down here in - weeks!

ETA:
http://www.unclehugo.com/prod/ah-correia-larry.php

Left cold, but he was signing there the 18th of Sep. You might be able to get a copy from them.

I was hoping he'd come near KC as well.  Would have loved to have him sign my books along with my CZ87B manual...

Anyways, I gave in and ordered from uncle hugo's.  Once that has shipped, I'll cancel the Amazon order.  Also had them throw in a signed copy of Dead Six.  Then, I'll have all of his books, minus Spellbound #2.  (Haven't read the first one yet...)
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 1:52:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Uncle Hugo's rocks!  Books ordered late Friday, were on my door step today!
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 7:13:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Right now there's a Kickstarter campaign going on for the Monster Hunter International Employee Handbook and RPG.

It's going to be a combination sourcebook for the Monster Hunter universe as well as an RPG book, so even if you don't do any roleplaying there's still supposed to be a bunch of stuff in there for you like all new Monster Hunter fiction by Larry.

Kickstarter Link
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 1:44:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Yup, I ponied up for the $80 pledge.  He's already 75% of the way to his 30 day goal, after a mere 3 days!  Crazy.  I personally am looking forward to the game.  I'm a big pen & paper RPG nerd, so yes....I'll not only be rolling up characters, but will indeed be DM'ing a Monster Hunter game!
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Same here.  I'm pumped to see what the stretch goals will be.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Picked up a hardback copy at B&N today.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top