Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2017 11:01:21 PM EDT
for as long as I can remember I wanted an R9.

Found a good deal on a mint example in Lemmonburst.  Should have it in hand in a couple weeks when I and the seller are both available to do the deal.

I've played a lot of Les Paul's.  Many USA models I have played were nothing special. But I can say of the few dozen reissues I have played over the years, they were all exceptional guitars.

I'm dying with anticipation.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 6:46:51 AM EDT
[#1]
The best one I ever played was one that belonged to a friend's brother back in the mid 80's.  I am not sure when it was made but he said his brother bought it from some old dude that bought it new and it was old when he got it in the 70's. I loved that guitar. It had the mojo. I bought a new one in 88 and it was never the same and I never liked it. The 2013 traditional I have now is sweet.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#2]
It's definitely an adventure finding guitars that have that thing.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:02:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats, I'll be looking forward to the pics!
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:18:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Very cool!

I recently picked up a stunning R0 that is the best one I've ever played. My LGS has had a bunch of very nice Reissues over the past several years and it's the nicest playing/sounding one they've ever had. I know the guy who runs the shop well and worked my way into a no interest, long-term payment deal on it for $3K. It's the only axe that I even want to play any more, and I've been selling others off. So much TONE in there. It's loaded with Lindy Fralin pickups. Between that and my Friedman BE100, I'm in classic rock tonal bliss.

Give us a report on your R9 when she arrives.

I'd like to get a gold top Reissue as a companion to the cherry sunburst R0 at some point.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:28:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very cool!

I recently picked up a stunning R0 that is the best one I've ever played. My LGS has had a bunch of very nice Reissues over the past several years and it's the nicest playing/sounding one they've ever had. I know the guy who runs the shop well and worked my way into a no interest, long-term payment deal on it for $3K. It's the only axe that I even want to play any more, and I've been selling others off. So much TONE in there. It's loaded with Lindy Fralin pickups. Between that and my Friedman BE100, I'm in classic rock tonal bliss.

Give us a report on your R9 when she arrives.

I'd like to get a gold top Reissue as a companion to the cherry sunburst R0 at some point.
View Quote
Oh a gold top!  I have only so much money. I should have the guitar in a couple weeks. I am dying in anticipation. I have read great things on the Frailin pups too. I bought a 335 gold top a few months back with the burst buckets and they seem to have a good edge to them and nice clarity. I think the reissues come with custom buckets IIRC.  In any event I plan to do some YouTube stuff so I'll definitely get a review and sound clips up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:41:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Oh a gold top!  I have only so much money. I should have the guitar in a couple weeks. I am dying in anticipation. I have read great things on the Frailin pups too. I bought a 335 gold top a few months back with the burst buckets and they seem to have a good edge to them and nice clarity. I think the reissues come with custom buckets IIRC.  In any event I plan to do some YouTube stuff so I'll definitely get a review and sound clips up.
View Quote
Yeah, I bought it used and the local doctor who sold it to the shop that I bought it from usually takes the stock pups out and puts Fralins or Duncan Bonamassas in all of his LPs. He also puts Grovers on them. He included the original Klusons in the case,  so I removed the vintage Grovers and put those back on. But he didn't have the CS buckers. He's a spaz that way. Fralins are pretty awesome though. I had an LP Std with them in it last year and it sounded pretty awesome too.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah, I bought it used and the local doctor who sold it to the shop that I bought it from usually takes the stock pups out and puts Fralins or Duncan Bonamassas in all of his LPs. He also puts Grovers on them. He included the original Klusons in the case,  so I removed the vintage Grovers and put those back on. But he didn't have the CS buckers. He's a spaz that way. Fralins are pretty awesome though. I had an LP Std with them in it last year and it sounded pretty awesome too.
View Quote
The Cistombuckers are supposed to be Gibsons best PAF replica yet. I really believe that aftermarket pups are probably a better bet though. I have Classic 57s in my Traditionals and they sound great but they do lack something. My 335 has Burstbuckers 1/2 in it and I like those better than the 57s.

I was looking at a set of Antiquities to try but I am gonna sit on it for a while.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top