Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2017 8:40:06 PM EDT
I guess my real question is, what do you have to spend to get one made here?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Acoustic or electric?  With or without amp?  And why does it have to be made in America?  If it's to keep people employed in the USA cool beans.  But you don't have to get one made in the USA to get quality guitars.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Lots of options under $1000.

Some really great guitars come out of Japan and Europe as well. Even Canada has Godin which makes some very nice guitars that are very affordable.

ETA: it also depends on your definition of "made in usa". PRS and Fender for example use some imported parts in their entry level USA made models.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:57:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Electric is what I'm interested in.

It just seems that with a lot of the foreign made guitars people feel the need to dump more money into them.  

Although, I'm sure that happens plenty with stuff made here.

Eta: Already have an amp.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:17:15 AM EDT
[#5]
If you shop around you can find used Gibson Les Paul Studios in the $500-$1000 range. I paid $1000 for my used USA Jackson Soloist and $1100 for my used USA Jackson King V about 10 or so years ago, but they're not that cheap anymore.

I'm clueless on used USA Fender values.

If you want to buy new, you can do the payment thing with Zzounds.com or AmericanMusical.com.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, as a guy who prefers Strats to LPs or pointy stuff that's what I;d buy.  And $1000 for a used one goes a long way.  IN fact, I know what I'd buy.  Used Eric Johnson signature.  Things are near custom shop in quality and no need to change anything.

Guitar Center has several nationally for sale from around $1100 to $1500 condition dependent.  And of course, you can always offer less.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It just seems that with a lot of the foreign made guitars people feel the need to dump more money into them.  

View Quote
+1 on the Les Paul Studio.  Also for around $1000 you should be able to get into a decent US made Telecaster or Strat but it may take awhile to find one available that you like.  Many of the older vintage US Fenders are getting sucked up into the overseas market. Don't be surprised to see $2000-2500 for seemingly garden variety US made Fenders.

Also, don't overlook some of the not so popular Fenders that are still around. Jag-Stangs are still underpriced relative to other Fenders.  In recent years the shelf hangers such as Jazzmasters, Jaguars and Mustangs have really gone up in price but are findable.

Right now the Fender budget line, Squier, has this J Mascis signature Jazzmaster.  It is very popular right now because of the good quality out of the box, and the modularity of the Fender based design makes it easy to modify.  That's why people spend money on replacing wiring, pickups, tremolos and tuner keys or necks.  Not because they have to but because they like to.
It is, however, built in that Italian city Chi Na.
Modern machining has really benefited the quality of the imports.  Fender goes in and sets them up and out come decent Fenders. Not the same as vintage but surprisingly good quality.  

Also, some other US made Gibsons are still around - check out Gibson Explorer (ugly or cool?), Gibson Corvus (ugly or cool?) ,Gibson SGs (cool classic) and ES series.
Here is a link to Reverb's site with a focused search for Gibson electric guitars under $1000.

Reverb is my go to place as a start to learn about the market.

I almost forgot - don't try to go cheap on a good quality professional set up by a good luthier.  $60 is typical but if your new child requires fret filing or neck straightening or bridge work $150 would not be surprising.  But the set up can make all the difference.

Have fun!
Rick

Burny Les Paul
Gibson Blues King
Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Taylor Baby Taylor
Hot Rod Deluxe
Boxes, many boxes
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
G&L.

You're wecome.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:12:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

G&L.

You're wecome.  
View Quote
Not a bad suggestion.  I hate the headstock but they are quality guitars.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#10]
9 American made guitars priced under a grand.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#11]
That guy pronouncing "Godin" just drives me up the frickin' wall!  
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:51:17 AM EDT
[#12]
$399 for a Gibson at MF.  Why anyone buys foreign guitars is beyond me.
Gibson M2
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:07:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Gibson M2
View Quote

Am I reading the description correctly?  It looks like a plywood body.

Eta:  first couple of reviews I've seen aren't so hot.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, it says solid poplar body. Poplar is a cheap plentiful wood, but that doesn't mean it's bad. Usually, tonewise, it sounds much like alder but with a slight bit more in the mids, but it's subtle. It won't sound like a Les Paul.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I am not saying it is great guitar but it is a real Gibson and made in Kentucky.  I am partial to their older faded line.  I buy them as stripped carcasses, finish them in nitro and add the electronics of my choice.  You can always flip Gibsons and American Fenders on ebay and reverb, not so much with foreign made guitars.  The market doesn't value that Steve Vai Japanese guitar as highly, even if you paid a ton for it and it is a solid product.  The Asian Deusenbergs and Gretchs seem to be in the same boat.  I am not saying it is right or gear snobs are correct but foreign instruments don't hold their value as well.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pretty much every hollow Gibson is plywood, and they start at $1500 for the shitty ones.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No, it says solid poplar body. Poplar is a cheap plentiful wood, but that doesn't mean it's bad. Usually, tonewise, it sounds much like alder but with a slight bit more in the mids, but it's subtle. It won't sound like a Les Paul.
View Quote
I didn't see that at first.  Lower down it says "multi ply".

I think I am going to scrap the idea of getting a US made model.

Thanks for the input.

Eta, going to look at used PRS SE or SE Custom, new lower level Chapman, and I came across a new Washburn at a decent price.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Your best bet is the used market.  Someone above mentioned G&L, but also look at the Peavey USA models.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#19]
*cough* Carvin! *cough*
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Gibson M2
View Quote
Handled one briefly at Sam Ash... it really, really needed a setup.  Strings were about 1/2" off the board at the base of the neck.  Unplayable, too high for anything but slide.

Reading afterward, I hear the bridges are an issue in that they rock forward on their posts which doesn't allow the strings to be as low as many players like.  So perhaps even a proper setup couldn't have solved that guitars issues.

In that price class... 2014 Gibson Melody Makers are great.  I think the prices are going up however.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top