Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2017 1:55:22 PM EDT
So I had a good opportunity over the long weekend to pit the "new" 2015 Friedman BE100 up against my 2012 Splawn Quickrod. I recently acquired the BE100 from a friend, who's been content with his Smallbox and Dirty Shirley stereo setup for some time. I actually had the BE in the man cave for a month last year when he was on vacation and wanted me to look after it. It's haunted me ever since. Having owned both the Dirty Shirley and Smallbox myself, I just couldn't shake the BE. It's bigger sounding than the Smallbox, and tighter than the Shirley.

Anyways I first of all did some speaker swapping in the 4x12 that the BE is plugged into. I first I had EVH Greenbacks loaded in the top, and V30s in the bottom. It sounded great, but I felt that there was something just not quite to my liking. So I loaded my H30s in the bottom and left the EVHs where they were. Bingo! Softer and more pleasing to my ears than with the V30s in there. The H30s add a hair more tightness and bass than the EVHs, but are more balanced with them than the V30s were.

I swapped back and forth between my LP R0 tuned standard (loaded with Fralins), and my '91 Studio loaded with Duncan JB/59s, tuned to Eb. The Studio is quite a bit heavier and has a much darker tone. I tend to use it for things like AIC, Tool, etc. The R0 is brighter, and more clear/articulate. It excels at Def Leppard "High & Dry" and ACDC "Back In Black".

The Splawn slant cab is loaded with Smallblocks. The tones I was getting through the Splawn were dryer, tighter, more immediate in response. They were brown, but not as spongey and forgiving as the BE100 tones. To my surprise, the Friedman didn't make me immediately want to power-down the Splawn rig and just keep playing the Friedman. Both had their strengths and weaknesses. Both sounded great for anything from those old school, iconic 80s albums to AIC and Tool. But I felt that the Splawn had the edge for the latter and the Friedman had the edge for the former. In terms of classic plexi amp tones, the Friedman is just so refined. I would happily take either amp to a rock gig of any genre and not be left wanting. The Splawn actually seems much louder than the Friedman. But that could be due to speaker efficiancies and the slant versus straight cab difference.

In short, if you find that you're lusting after a Splawn... you won't be disappointed. If you're lusting after a Friedman... you won't be disappointed. Both are excellent amps that are just variations on a theme.

And by the way... I'm still in love with my Line 6 Helix LT. After the honeymoon wears off on the BE100, I'll still go back to the Helix for regular daily play just like I had chosen it over the Splawn before. If I had to gear-up for a big outdoor gig that was going to be well-attended and I wanted to really kick A$$ and take names... I'd probably take the Friedman AND the Splawn half stacks in a stereo config (if I could find someone to hump the gear around and spare my trashed back). But in terms of practice and even gigs... I'm still VERY happy with the Helix and just created some more (plexi-based) patches for it on Friday night in fact. If I had to sell everything and just keep one guitar and amp, it'd be the R0 and likely the Helix.

Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:07:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn, that's a heckuva rig! Must be a really LOUD man cave.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn, that's a heckuva rig! Must be a really LOUD man cave.
View Quote

I wear ear plugs every time I plug in! I like to feel the rock as much as playing it. What you don't see in that pic is the 6,000 watts of PA gear including a 24 channel board, and pair of 15" subs. I don't normally use the subs at home, but the rest gets fired up when I play along with music. It's like having my own concert in the man cave. I even light it with colored LED stage lighting while I play. Ever since I was a kid I was fascinated with rock shows... so my daily play IS a rock show. LOL!

There are however days when I feel like playing, but don't feel like plugging-in and powering everything up. So I grab one of my flamenco guitars and head out to the couch to watch TV while I play at sane volumes. Lately I've been getting a lot of acoustic play in while watching several hours of Tour de France coverage every day.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 5:59:32 AM EDT
[#3]
What is the "RO" that you mentioned?
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice, very nice!

Quoted:
What is the "RO" that you mentioned?
View Quote
He's been a lucky boy lately.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_148
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nice, very nice!

He's been a lucky boy lately.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_148
View Quote
Indeed!!!

I've already put the Anderson Bulldog up for sale because I only want to play the RO right now. The Andy sale will finance the BE. Still loving my Helix LT by the way.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:47:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Indeed!!!

I've already put the Anderson Bulldog up for sale because I only want to play the RO right now. The Andy sale will finance the BE. Still loving my Helix LT by the way.
View Quote
Yeah, I'm still diggin' my Helix too. But I have 3 tube amps that are sticking around. A couple do tones that I can't get out of my Helix (or just haven't found yet), and the other is my very first amp. It doesn't hurt to have both. Modeling is viable enough these days that a good modeler, such as the Helix, has a legitimate place in a serious player's "wall of doom". And well, there are still tube amps out there with a few tricks up their sleeves, and sometimes it's nice to turn real knobs and not mess with menus. Both have their place.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:13:35 PM EDT
[#7]
You guys just cost me a grand :)
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You guys just cost me a grand :)
View Quote
Helix LT? Or Splawn QR?
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Helix LT

Maybe it'll get me that discount when the plugin comes out too.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Helix LT

Maybe it'll get me that discount when the plugin comes out too.
View Quote
Lol, nice. Congrats! You won't regret it. I've had mine for a year now, and I haven't had buyer's remorse.

And if you're on Facebook, head over to this group and join in. There's a bunch of helpful and talented folks there.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/428105950706417
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Unfortunately I don't do facebook.

I guess the cool thing about the LT, is that it's exactly the same internally as the regular helix, so all patches, etc. work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top