Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/13/2017 4:56:25 PM EDT
I don't know why but always wanted to try to learn .....

I know I'm late to the party !

I've already bought ......

MIM Strat - x2
MIM Tele

Gibson SG Standard in black

Gibson SG Faded - Got a great deal on this one !

Line 6 mkii bogner tube amp - Man ! That amp can throw out some sound !

I TRY ! To at LEAST spend 30 mins. each day practicing chords and chord changes.

My better half rolled her eyes when I told her I was all in on trying to learn to play !

Hey ! It's better then spending wasted time playing Xbox etc. !

Anyone here that waited till later in life to learn ?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm 48 and am trying to learn the jaw harp. 
good luck with your six string.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I started learning to play when I turned 50. Now, ten years later, I play well enough that I enjoy playing.

It wasn't easy, I have a hard time getting my fingers to do what they need to do, and I don't have the strength to play certain chords (Barre F? No way).

Practice and don't give up.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a Peavey backstage amp and a T60.
3 days later, I cut off 1/2 inch of my index finger...

I was 38 at the time
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been trying and failing at guitar for about three years now (I'm 51).  Don't quit!
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was 38 at the time
View Quote
I take it wasn't your strumming hand ....
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I was 38 at the time
View Quote
Look up Tony Iommi.  He lost the tips of two fingers in an industrial accident and still became famous.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I started taking lessons 3 years ago at 42.  I was making decent progress until until warspite  jr. showed up in January this year.  Now my practice time has all but disappeared.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:30:27 PM EDT
[#8]
OP, don't stop!  Your progress will come in waves.  You might go weeks with no progress.  Then, bang!  You figure out Little Martha..
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:03:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP, don't stop!  Your progress will come in waves.  You might go weeks with no progress.  Then, bang!  You figure out Little Martha..
View Quote
I actually had to look up Little Martha !

Yeah ..... That would be nice to figure that out !

But it would also be nicer to figure out Van Halen !

I'll probably be in a nursing home by then !

Link Posted: 6/14/2017 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#10]
It's never too late! 
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:04:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Look up Tony Iommi.  He lost the tips of two fingers in an industrial accident and still became famous.
View Quote
I played with a guy that lost three fingers. He still had his index and thumb on his left hand. He learned how to play a left handed guitar after playing for years right handed.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:15:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been playing about 44 years now. I am 57. Arthritis along with nerve issues have dictated what I can and can't play now but I still plug along. I will say if you really want to learn it you will..but it would have been better for you 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 4:37:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I learned in my teens.  Thought it would get me laid.

If you want to start in you 50's go for it.  Just don't expect to get signed with any big record labels and start your new career as a rock star.  It don't matter how good you get.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#14]
My dad started at 53. He struggles. But he keeps practicing.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I learned in my teens.  Thought it would get me laid.
View Quote
I remember my dad gave my brother & me electric guitars with whammy bars & a little amp when we where about 15.

Yeah we picked them up every now and then but the " newness " wore off after awhile.....
I should of learned back then !
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:08:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I started when I was 46.  I love it.  You can't wait for the next life.  It's now or never, man!
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I started when I was 46.  I love it.  You can't wait for the next life.  It's now or never, man!
View Quote
I hear ya brother !

Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:14:12 AM EDT
[#18]
I learned when I was a kid and played all my life since then. In my 50s now, I honestly think I am the best I've ever been. No hand issues yet, knock on wood, praise the Lawd.

If you like it, do it. I played a party last weekend and it went over real well. Flatpicking solo, as I've switched from electric blues to my first love: bluegrass flatpicking, and been working on it a year, playing a lot of fiddle tunes and such. Its a new challenge for me, much more physically demanding on the Martin with medium strings compared to the Fender electric. Shit, I'm getting good finally.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Look into Paul Gilberts Artist Works online class! I have been doing it for two months now and have seen a dramatic improvement in my playing. Its not a theory course per say more of a get your chops and skills up and working! I like it!
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Look into Paul Gilberts Artist Works online class! I have been doing it for two months now and have seen a dramatic improvement in my playing. Its not a theory course per say more of a get your chops and skills up and working! I like it!
View Quote
Thanks Brother !  

I'll check it out !
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I just noticed this thread and thought I'd comment on the struggles of learning guitar at an advanced age.  I started back into the guitar in my mid-sixties after having abandoning it after my teen years.  Its been a struggle as it has actually been one of the most difficult things I've ever learned to do especially after my 50 year break.  

To compound the guitar learning process has been some health issues I have with my hands.  These include numbness and tingling plus the "trigger finger" syndrome with my left hand.  The trigger finger is where some fingers lock shut but that is being treated with injections.  However, the hand numbness is due to pinched nerve endings in my spine that appears difficult to properly treat.  Nonetheless, I enjoy the guitar even though I'm limited on certain things such as doing bar chords and the time length I can play.  

I can enjoy it as long as I stick to short 10-15 minute sessions.  I can do those sessions several times a day as long as I limit myself to short sessions.  But I can't pass a guitar without the urge to pick one up and play it.  So I guess as long as I continue to have the passion for guitar I'll continue playing.  BTW--one other problem is affording my ever expanding guitar collection as I've found that's just as addicting as the gun thing.  Fun hobby!
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm 55 and started teaching myself bout 2 and a half months ago. I can do a pretty good version of Doesn't Remind Me by Audioslave even with my shitty voice.

As long as I practice I see improvement every single day. I have the strumming down okay so I am adding in finger picking now. One of my musician friends said "that's pretty ambitious". I said "I'm 55 years old, I wont be playing for 40 years so I HAVE to be ambitious".
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
..... snip.... plus the "trigger finger" syndrome with my left hand.  The trigger finger is where some fingers lock shut but that is being treated with injections.  However, the hand numbness is due to pinched nerve endings in my spine that appears difficult to properly treat.  Nonetheless, I enjoy the guitar even though I'm limited on certain things such as doing bar chords and the time length I can play.  
Fun hobby!
View Quote
My ortho surgeon gave me one  steroid shot into the tendon for trigger finger ( left hand, middle finger).. he said, if this doesn't help, then pulley release surgery.
Didn't help.. had the surgery a couple months ago..awesome, was playing in 10 days.
Best surgery ever, after both hands undergoing surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome 25 years-ish ago.
Almost fiddy nine, been playing piano since 1966 and guitar from about 1972! Never give up!

Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:44:13 PM EDT
[#24]
[b]Quoted:[/bOne of my musician friends said "that's pretty ambitious". I said "I'm 55 years old, I wont be playing for 40 years so I HAVE to be ambitious".
View Quote
That's great !

Link Posted: 8/1/2017 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Started playing in my teens and just turned 50 this year.  Averaging 26-28 shows a year with my band.  Keep it up, it's a great distraction from the day to day.  Keeps your mind nimble.....
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 11:13:53 PM EDT
[#26]
49 - taking banjo lessons
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:55:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Im 46, been playing since I was 8.  It comes in waves.  I have literally gone several years trying to break through a plateau and when I finally do, the progress is small and sometimes not very significant but it is progress.  

When I was young, I learned new things much easier.  I still learn easily and am able to pick up most stuff if I see it being played.  My biggest issue is I never took lessons to learn proper technique so my playing is a constant fight with a lot of bad habits I have learned over 40 years and trying to break them.  

However, age has brought a better ear.  A far better listening technique.  My best advice is to find what you like to listen to and play it.  And the biggest learning curve will come playing with others, especially those much more advanced than you.  Humans have this odd tendency to adapt to the group and I have learned and gotten much better just by jamming along with a few friends now and again.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

MIM Strat - x2
MIM Tele

I TRY ! To at LEAST spend 30 mins. each day practicing chords and chord changes.

My better half rolled her eyes when I told her I was all in on trying to learn to play !

View Quote
I'm 50 now, been playing for 5 or 6 years. my buddy is 67 and he's been playing for about a year.
it's probably NOT true that it's "never too late", but 50 definitely isn't "too late".

also, as "that pedal show" likes to say, "less E-bay and more Mel Bay"  :-D
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 10:50:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I was 38 at the time
View Quote
do you still play ? you know, like Tony Iommi ?
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 10:51:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
dammit. that's what I get for not reading them all before posting.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 10:57:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Better late than never, but curious, why did you buy so many guitars?  Better to have one guitar that plays really well, and get really good at it, than jump from a Strat to an SG.  They are pretty different feeling and playing guitars, and you might make the learning curve steeper.  But if you have all that money, have at it hoss.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 2:56:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was 38 at the time
I guy I know a guy that lost fingers that didn't quit. There is a guy on YouTube that plays and has no arms. If you want it you will find a way.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 5:12:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

MIM Strat - x2
MIM Tele

View Quote
Its never too late to learn or even re-learn.  I've been playing bass for longer than i care to mention (30 years)..Played in a variety of bands during that time playing all sorts of styles, and I've just recently started going back and taking on line lessons starting with a review of the fundamentals...starting with things as simple as arpeggios.

It is better than sitting in front of the tv playing xbox. (or in my case PS4).
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 6:39:55 AM EDT
[#34]
There is no such thing as too late to play guitar.
I am almost 50; used to be an IT guy and a few years ago, went the professional way in the music industry (I went completely against the currents in current times - pun intended).

What you must keep in mind is that music is wonderful. It's our therapy, best friend - it will never let us down.
In order to play music, you do not need to be technically skilled - this is another wonderful thing I have learned over the years.

I have learned all I know from a self learned guitarist named Angus Young (with whom I ended working with a few years ago, for a few years).

Just a few, simple things (and simple ain't necessarily easy) that will last me for a life time, as long as I play in an inspired way keeping tempo (i.e., with a fascinating timing).

Timing is king.

It's truly all I have to say to you. Remember that timing is the most wonderful thing and timing will make the music you play awful or pleasing - nothing else.
It's not the notes themselves, it's not the chords. It's the space between them that will make a difference - it's a human mind thing (and a balance of the Universe).
So, whatever age you find yourself at, try and move as you play.

Playing is physical - it's a physical thing. We aim at making people move (especially with my genre, Rock & Roll).

I'll be here if you guys need me.

Link Posted: 12/28/2017 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#35]
I just turned 70 last month

From when I was a teenager I always wanted to play guitar and for the most part, I always had a guitar, but I would only try to learn for a few weeks a year and then give up. Never learned anything.

Two years ago I had a stroke and it affected my right hand, I could not pick or keep up a rhythm. Three months ago I decided that it was time that I got serious about learning to play. I have been practicing for a few hours a day, three to four times a week. I have now regained control of my hand and for the first time in my life, I can actually play along with some songs.

Am I good, no, but I am learning at a rate that is surprising. This time in learning to play, I am not going to give up because life is too short...  lol.

Link Posted: 12/28/2017 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

From when I was a teenager I always wanted to play guitar and for the most part, I always had a guitar, but I would only try to learn for a few weeks a year and then give up. Never learned anything.

Two years ago I had a stroke and it affected my right hand, I could not pick or keep up a rhythm. Three months ago I decided that it was time that I got serious about learning to play. I have been practicing for a few hours a day, three to four times a week. I have now regained control of my hand and for the first time in my life, I can actually play along with some songs.

Am I good, no, but I am learning at a rate that is surprising. This time in learning to play, I am not going to give up because life is too short...  lol.

View Quote
Way to go, John, Sir!!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#37]
I started at 46 am now 55...Kept at it and love it. Mostly all acoustic (finger style and strum) but I did get a Marshall AS50 acoustic amp...
I keep an acoustic in a Hercules stand at all times ready to play.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good therapy bro. Keep it up. I might add that I am 58 and have been playing for about 43 years now and although I can not play as well as I could even 15 years ago I am still learning each day. Arthritis and chronic tendinitis along with nerve issues has slowed me down but I still play ok but defenently not great anymore. Keep it up.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 10:48:16 PM EDT
[#39]
I'll just leave this here. Proof that you're never too old.
Runnin’ Down a Dream (cover) - Mr Spankey and the Hipthrusters
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 11:48:48 PM EDT
[#40]
When I was a kid, I tried getting my folks to get me a guitar and lessons. Everyone told them I should learn acoustic instead of electric first and after talking to both the teachers they talked to and their students decided it wasn't for me. Later I met some guys who played and they taught me some basics and I picked up the basics pretty quick and was able to sit in when their band was practicing on a couple songs while waiting for the real guitarist. Then I had a kid and didn't play again for 20 years. Honestly, I'm worse after trying it for a month than I was after a couple days at 18. Definitely harder and more work than it was when I was a kid.

My big problem now is that half my fingers just won't go where I need them to. My pinky and ring finger just don't move on their own. I've got somewhat fat fingers, I've broke my hands/fingers/wrists, and my left hand has always been especially clumsy. Obviously there are accomplished guitarists who have overcome injury, other who have started late and been good, but I clearly lack any sort of natural talent on top of it!

Still fun when I can get things to work, just frustrating.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
When I was a kid, I tried getting my folks to get me a guitar and lessons. Everyone told them I should learn acoustic instead of electric first and after talking to both the teachers they talked to and their students decided it wasn't for me. Later I met some guys who played and they taught me some basics and I picked up the basics pretty quick and was able to sit in when their band was practicing on a couple songs while waiting for the real guitarist. Then I had a kid and didn't play again for 20 years. Honestly, I'm worse after trying it for a month than I was after a couple days at 18. Definitely harder and more work than it was when I was a kid.

My big problem now is that half my fingers just won't go where I need them to. My pinky and ring finger just don't move on their own. I've got somewhat fat fingers, I've broke my hands/fingers/wrists, and my left hand has always been especially clumsy. Obviously there are accomplished guitarists who have overcome injury, other who have started late and been good, but I clearly lack any sort of natural talent on top of it!

Still fun when I can get things to work, just frustrating.
View Quote
What I did/do when learning a new chord is just play fragments (part of the chord), but not the whole chord. That way I can incrementally learn the chord in parts. It gives you the satisfaction of hearing the chord without stressing over getting your fingers to act like a pretzel. Then after you have the fragment down and can switch to and from it easily, work on filling it out. It's alot less stressful that way.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#42]
49 here. Started around October. '83 Strat and a Peavey Vypyr amp.
I'm getting quick with my scales but chord changes are slow coming.
I practiced for about 3 hours in a row more than a week ago and my wrist is still too sore to make a G.
I dream of Metal but so far I can't get my hands to stop in the right place for my power chords.
The only downside to all of this is it does cut down on mt ARF surfing time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#43]
I just started again too.  I'm in my 60's now and wanted to try and make my fingers work better and improve my brain functions at the same time. I played a bit in the 70's and 80's but it all feels kinda strange again now.  It's coming back though and my fingers are getting painfully calloused and stronger again.

I'm cowboy county folksy so I have a Zager 6 string and a Taylor 12 with a PRS electric and an amp that does way more stuff than I ever imagined an amp could do.

Music has always been great personal therapy for me---and I need it more than ever now.  Grateful to find this part of Arfcom and have been studying the Music Theory part.  I kinda missed that the first go round and it's important if you want to improve later on.

Strangely my ear is better now than it ever was and apparently my voice isn't terrible at this age so there is hope for all the old guys out there.

Link Posted: 1/27/2018 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'll just leave this here. Proof that you're never too old.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgY8a5Q0AFE
View Quote
That's awesome.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 10:15:39 AM EDT
[#45]
51 and signed up a few weeks ago at guitartrick.com, seems to have pretty good reviews.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#46]
I am so glad I found this thread. We had a 50th birthday party for a dear friend who has played for years. When he was in law school he sold his '78 Strat to pay bills. For his 50th birthday his wife found him a very clean '78 strat and had it shipped down for him. The rest of us went in and got him an amp, cords, etc and then surprised him with a little get together.

I haven't seen joy on someone's face like that in a while.

It reminded me that I have always wanted to learn to play and my oldest son wants to learn too so it will be a 43 year old dad and 13 year old son adventure. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's going to be trying.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Been playing for 20 years, still learning...
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:54:19 AM EDT
[#48]
50 y/o in a few months, still rocking

All Right Now: A SoloDallas Multitrack Rendition.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Been playing off and on since the late 80's.  I still don't know shit...
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm 40 and have been playing since I was 14, don't know shit either, but it doesn't stop me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top