Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2017 8:09:57 AM EDT
I haven't played around with guitar in over 15 years. Id like to get something that is decent (guitar and amp) just for messing around at home.

Im really only interested in playing metal.

Amp wise I would like something that sounds good but with todays tech maybe I could use effects to get that Iron Maiden sound withoud breaking the bank on a Marshall head  

any suggestions from a current metal head would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:34:25 AM EDT
[#1]
One of the many modeling amps on the market will fill your needs, pricevd anywhere from $100 on up. I have a Peavey VYPYR tube and love it. Any tone imaginable. Lots of guitars to choose from. Depends on you budget really. Fender makes a Dave Murray signature strat if you really want Maiden. Most guitars with humbuckers will get you there. Pick you budget and play a bunch till one says take me home.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of the many modeling amps on the market will fill your needs, pricevd anywhere from $100 on up. I have a Peavey VYPYR tube and love it. Any tone imaginable. Lots of guitars to choose from. Depends on you budget really. Fender makes a Dave Murray signature strat if you really want Maiden. Most guitars with humbuckers will get you there. Pick you budget and play a bunch till one says take me home.
View Quote
I would really love to find a tube amp (single speaker, screw lugging around a 2x12 ) that sounds good. From the reading on the net not all tubes amp are created equal and some solid states have a better sound. 
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok want opinions on this settup for just messing around 

Guitar

AMP
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#4]
My son uses that amp for his bass. No complaints. As stated I have the tube version of the original. And I'm not gonna lie, that guitar gave me a chubby. How ever, setting up and changing strings on a Floyd can be a pita.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#5]
It's spendy, but a Hughes & Kettner Grandmaster 36 is all tube, has effects built in, and stores your settings in presets like a modeling amp. I'd get that head, and get a decent 1x12 with a Vintage 30 in it.

For a guitar, I'd get a good used Made in Japan Jackson Dinky. I have 4 of them and they're excellent guitars. Just stay away from the ones with chrome Floyds. For some reason the chrome Jackson licensed Floyds have a harder time staying in tune. But if you don't want a Floyd, I'd go with a Charvel Pro Mod. I have one from the Wild Card run and it's got a neck that absolutely plays like butter.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:36:45 PM EDT
[#6]
For "messing around at home," the Guitar Center used section is your friend.

1, let someone else eat the "new car premium".
2, you can try it out and be sure the neck is straight, action is correct, etc.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 3:47:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I really like the Marshall 1w series for awesome tube tone at low volumes and good prices
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#8]
 Another vote for a MIJ Jackson. The DXMG was my favorite. The neck profile was very close to the early San Dimas Charvels . The pickups are okay, but since they are passive you could swap the bridge for what ever. As for amps check out the Marshall code series. 

Playing with my new Marshall Code 50 - YouTube   Not me. I was surprised by the cabinet simulations. Very nice.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:28:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
 Another vote for a MIJ Jackson. The DXMG was my favorite. The neck profile was very close to the early San Dimas Charvels . The pickups are okay, but since they are passive you could swap the bridge for what ever. As for amps check out the Marshall code series. 

Playing with my new Marshall Code 50 - YouTube   Not me. I was surprised by the cabinet simulations. Very nice.
View Quote
From reading reviews Im pretty sure a Jackson of some type is in my future. They dont make the Japanese anymore from what I gather. 

That Marshall AMP is awesome 
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:47:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

From reading reviews Im pretty sure a Jackson of some type is in my future. They dont make the Japanese anymore from what I gather. 

That Marshall AMP is awesome 
View Quote
You're correct, they no longer make the Pro Series in Japan, they now make them in Fender's Ensenada, Mexico plant. Still excellent guitars (I've fondled a couple), but there are gobs of good used MIJ examples out there, and they go fairly cheap.

Nothing wrong with an Ibanez either. They just have a different feel to them. I have 3 of them, myself.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:16:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You're correct, they no longer make the Pro Series in Japan, they now make them in Fender's Ensenada, Mexico plant. Still excellent guitars (I've fondled a couple), but there are gobs of good used MIJ examples out there, and they go fairly cheap.

Nothing wrong with an Ibanez either. They just have a different feel to them. I have 3 of them, myself.
View Quote
Im going to guitar center and try some out this weekend. I figured a Mexican made Jackson that is assembled correctly and have their guitar tech give it the once over should be a good enough deal for me. 
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:31:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I believe the pro series of Jackson guitars are made in Indonesia and not in mexico. I think they make the charvel's in mexico though. If you can find a made in japan jackson dinky on craigslist, do buy it as they are excellent quality guitars that are on par with US made pieces (the exception being the hardware) but you can easily replace all that. If you want a floyd rose trem but don't want to drop the coin on one, get the Floyd Rose Special and put a brass sustainer block. I'd try sweetwater music before guitar center. I currently have 2 MIJ Jackson's (DK2M and DKMG).
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I believe the pro series of Jackson guitars are made in Indonesia and not in mexico. I think they make the charvel's in mexico though. If you can find a made in japan jackson dinky on craigslist, do buy it as they are excellent quality guitars that are on par with US made pieces (the exception being the hardware) but you can easily replace all that. If you want a floyd rose trem but don't want to drop the coin on one, get the Floyd Rose Special and put a brass sustainer block. I'd try sweetwater music before guitar center. I currently have 2 MIJ Jackson's (DK2M and DKMG).
View Quote
The neck thru models are, but I'm talking about Dinkys here, which are bolt ons and are MIM.

That said, the Indonesians do make good guitars. Two of my Ibanez guitars were made there, and they're good to go.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Im going to guitar center and try some out this weekend. I figured a Mexican made Jackson that is assembled correctly and have their guitar tech give it the once over should be a good enough deal for me. 
View Quote
Guitar Center usually has a good used selection, so don't pass that up without a look.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Op, whee in NC are you?  I have a nice Ibanez metal shredder guitar that i don't use that I can let go fairly cheap.
View Quote
What kind of Ibanez shredder?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:06:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What kind of Ibanez shredder?
View Quote
 in Fayetteville but not sure about dropping that kinda coin yet 

have at it 
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:42:18 AM EDT
[#19]
https://fayetteville.craigslist.org/search/msa?query=jackson

check them out
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#20]
UPDATE 

Got a used Jackson JS22 (Blue) in like new condition for $119 from Guitar Center. I had the guy at the Albany Guitar Center grab it off the rack and play it (so I could listen for fret buzz) and sounded good. When it arrived slapped some Ernie Ball 42-9s on and checked intonation and everything seems fine. 

AMP - I got a new Peavey Vypyr VIP 1 modeling amp. I think for the money and something to play around at home you cant beat the features for the price. 

The software is cool. You get a graphic of the pedal and amp you are playing and can switch am manipulate the setting on the screen. 

The 6505 simulation sounds awesome. I imagine the real thing is amazing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:47:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Congrats! Sounds like you got a good start.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The 6505 simulation sounds awesome. I imagine the real thing is amazing.
View Quote
Yup.  A 5150/6505 is a sound to behold.  There are some terrific sounds to be had out of them, and not even just for metal.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:42:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Cool. As stated before, Love my Vypry, hope you enjoy it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Cool. As stated before, Love my Vypry, hope you enjoy it.
View Quote
Was leaning the breakdown for Iron Maidens "Alexander the Great" from Songsterr.com and dialing in some pretty close to Maiden sounds.

Damn impressive for a 120 dollar amp 
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:15:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Mesa mark v, it will do anything from blues to metal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top