Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2017 11:29:23 AM EDT
Just wanted to throw this out there. Unless you know where they came from avoid used Shure mics especially 57's and 58's. Alibaba has like 5 good fakes for 100 bucks. Not worth saving 20 bucks to get a fake.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I spend 6 months a year in Thailand.  A couple years back I wanted a decent mic.  Went to the local music store (such as it is) and lo and behold they had Shure mics.  I think the 57 was for about $50.  I asked the clerk like 5 times was he certain of the price.  Oh yeah.

OK so I take it home.  NOW I'm pretty convinced it is a copy.  At the time it never occurred to me someone would copy a mic.  

It does still work though.  Not that hard to copy a Share mic.  But good warning to others.   No one expects something like a mic to be a copy.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a bunch of sm57s on ebay none had the serial number sticker then realized after the fact how rampant knockoffs are. I told ebay that i was scurred and got refunds on all. I'd rather spend a little more to know its the real deal. They're even faking Beta 52 bass drum mics.  The market is saturated with fakes.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#3]
They fake damn near anything.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

They do, but I'm asleep pretty quick anyways
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:56:44 AM EDT
[#6]
You know, when it comes to things like microphones I am willing to pay the sticker price to know I purchased it from a reputable dealer. Guitar Center, baby.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:58:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Fake Shure mics are rampant, have been for many years.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I spend 6 months a year in Thailand.  A couple years back I wanted a decent mic.  Went to the local music store (such as it is) and lo and behold they had Shure mics.  I think the 57 was for about $50.  I asked the clerk like 5 times was he certain of the price.  Oh yeah.

OK so I take it home.  NOW I'm pretty convinced it is a copy.  At the time it never occurred to me someone would copy a mic.  

It does still work though.  Not that hard to copy a Share mic.  But good warning to others.   No one expects something like a mic to be a copy.
View Quote

I think the "Share" name would have been a give away for me.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:51:13 AM EDT
[#9]
They aren't crazy expensive. Got a bundle with a stand and cable on Prime for $99.

There's also a few tutorials online to show you how to identify counterfeit SM57s.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think the "Share" name would have been a give away for me.  

View Quote

To be fair to me - it wasn't like there is a Guitar Center anywhere near me.  It was this or no mic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top