Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2017 5:14:49 PM EDT
I quit playing a few years ago and sold off my custom made guitars and tube amps. What I kept was my Fender Rumble 25 bass amp and my Adrenalinn III pedal in case I want to noodle on a guitar again. I had the urge so I found a sweet guitar on Reverb, a brand new 2013 (NOS) Parker PDF30 for $200. I put new strings on it and did a setup. I also got a new Dunlop strap and Dunlop strap locks. Also a new tuner and guitar cord.

Oh yeah, picks too.

Then I thought about an amp so I'm back on Reverb looking around and it was good timing because I found an NOS Vox VT40+ for $150 + $20 shipping. I grabbed it quick as it was just put up. Really sweet amp and made it sweeter with a vintage RFT 12ax7 tube. I love this modeling amp.

I decided to put up the ADIII pedal and a set of DiMarzio pups on Reverb and just sold the ADIII the other day and shipped it yesterday. Digging around for more stuff to put up but not really interested in selling the guitar and amps.

I had the guitar and amp for a few months and I haven't picked them up again but I don't want to part with 'em.

I've played since the 60s so I'm pretty well burned out or bored of it but still have the love for music. What a spot to be in.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Just make sure you will them to somebody who will appreciate and use them, instead of family members who may mistreat them or just sell them off.  

In my opinion, there is nothing incorrect about enjoying music after all these years without the drive and desire to make it.  The equipment you've kept can be thought of as facets to that appreciation, instead of tools that must be used.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Waaaa,
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just make sure you will them to somebody who will appreciate and use them, instead of family members who may mistreat them or just sell them off.  

In my opinion, there is nothing incorrect about enjoying music after all these years without the drive and desire to make it.  The equipment you've kept can be thought of as facets to that appreciation, instead of tools that must be used.
View Quote

I never had thought of it that way, interesting.

I just realized one thing, I'm in between pain clinics so I may be in a shit mood til I get my treatments which are injections and meds. Damn I forgot about that. Now I gotta call my new doc and ask him where's the referral.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Just hold onto them and keep the guitar tuned up so nothing goes wrong. Because it might not happen very often, but you'll get the itch now and then. And when you get that itch, you're gonna need a guitar and amp to scratch it with and put a smile on your face.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#5]
That's right I do. I'll tweak around the amp trying this and that for a few minutes.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Why not pick up bass or keys? I switch between practicing on the three every 4 months or so.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:01:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I got very disenfranchised with music back in the late 80's. I sold everything but my Les Paul and a PV practice amp...by the late 90's those too were gone. Forward to 2005 and I felt the call of the Lord and the call to get back into music. I will never sell out again. Music has a purpose now.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I pretty much quit for about 10 years.

I've got the itch back every bit as much as I ever did. I want to play and write in all of my spare time.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy some home recording gear. I'm serious. I've been playing for nearly 25 years, and I took a break after playing a good while in band and nothing going anywhere. I was burned out and didn't care anymore about music. I was depressed really.

Now, that I can make my own music and record it, and spark is lit again. It's a good feeling. I wish I'd done this years ago; it's so much easier than I thought it would be.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy some home recording gear. I'm serious. I've been playing for nearly 25 years, and I took a break after playing a good while in band and nothing going anywhere. I was burned out and didn't care anymore about music. I was depressed really.

Now, that I can make my own music and record it, and spark is lit again. It's a good feeling. I wish I'd done this years ago; it's so much easier than I thought it would be.
View Quote

Good point.

EZDrummer2 is a very good piece of software that can spark inspiration. Just tap in a basic rhythm in the tap2find function, and choose from what it pulls up.

OP, I realize that you may not be a metal guy, so bear with me. Here's a very good demo that hits on the basics of using EZD2.
https://youtu.be/YEJH3WM6Oz8

Then just download Reaper (they ask for a $60 donation, but the software works anyway), get a cheap USB to 1/4" jack interface, and download some free amp/effects plugins, and you're set.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I can't stress what was said above enough. I do the exact same thing, software and all, and it's super easy to use and very effective.  Any time I am in a funk, I drop some drum tracks down and play.

I use amplitube as well so everything is easy and contained. 
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#12]
What these guys said!

After 40 years of playing and writing, I'm finally finishing my first real album. It's a really good feeling, and you CAN do it all at home with inexpensive gear.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll have to admit I'm not that good. I know I played for a heck of a long time but I don't quite get music. Sometimes I'll have a good jam and sometimes my mind's a blank.

Been dealing with depression all my life and nothing I can do about it except take med.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#14]
OP try finding some people to jam with.  Maybe even a band.  It brings a whole new dimension to playing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top