Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2016 9:07:50 AM EDT
Looking to get a wide leather guitar strap and want reliable mounting studs/screws/locking pins???

I current have a DiMarzio Locking Clip strap and like it, but want something wider.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:12:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Reasonably priced, decent leather is available from Franklin and Levy's.  I use both and have been happy with both.

I have a 3" wide leather Franklin on my 1976 LP Deluxe that weighs 11lbs on the nose... makes the guitar playable and doesn't kill my shoulder like it did on a 2" strap.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:25:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Reasonably priced, decent leather is available from Franklin and Levy's.  I use both and have been happy with both.

I have a 3" wide leather Franklin on my 1976 LP Deluxe that weighs 11lbs on the nose... makes the guitar playable and doesn't kill my shoulder like it did on a 2" strap.
View Quote

Thanks OR.

How do you attach it to your guitar? I'm looking something that won't come off or present a problem.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Grolsch beer bottle gaskets.
Little red rubber gaskets I put on the strap pin after putting the straps on.

Been using them for years and never had a failure.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not much on wide leather straps, but for straplocks I prefer Dunlop. They have a mechanism that is identical to most QD sling loops, in fact, I have a feeling that the idea for QD sling loops came from the Dunlop strap lock.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input. I'm going to look into both of them.

Why no wide leather straps Gone_Shootin?
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I never had the need for them. I'm broad shouldered with plenty of muscle on them. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not, but I have always used a normal strap, even with the Les Paul I used to have and the one I currently have.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:05:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Schaller strap locks on all my guitars. It allows me to use the same strap on all my guitars if need be.
They are quick small and sure. No way you are going to loose the thing unless a screw breaks.

Link Posted: 9/8/2016 3:04:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Grolsch beer bottle gaskets.
Little red rubber gaskets I put on the strap pin after putting the straps on.

Been using them for years and never had a failure.
View Quote

Those of us that are teetotalers are forced to buy neoprene washers from hardware stores or Amazon. The lameness of that helps distract from the way I've usually messed up the buckle less leather weaving adjustment on my Franklin strap.

What kind of guitar are you playing? Some have large strap buttons that hold pretty well. If you want to be lazy, the Planet Waves ratchet lock straps may be an option. I keep one draped over the guitar stand to share between a Les Paul and Tele.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Ordered a Dean Cadillac X Blackout (being delivered tomorrow).

Think I'm going to stick with the DiMarzio Cliplock strap. I have one on my V and might as well keep it all the same.

Thanks for the input fellas!
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ordered a Dean Cadillac X Blackout (being delivered tomorrow).

Think I'm going to stick with the DiMarzio Cliplock strap. I have one on my V and might as well keep it all the same.

Thanks for the input fellas!
View Quote

I had no idea they still made the Cadillac!

I had one of the setneck burst finished ones back in the late 80s... somewhat sad I sold it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#11]
The one thing that annoys me about straps with Fastex buckle ends is getting them to work with tightly fitted cases. I had to break down some of the firm foam on one of my Ibanez RG's guitar cases to make it fit.

Then my drummer buddy did a handstand next to the open case and fell over on it. It blew one of the hinges off and left a permanent shoe skid across the top. Yeah, I still use the case.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The one thing that annoys me about straps with Fastex buckle ends is getting them to work with tightly fitted cases. I had to break down some of the firm foam on one of my Ibanez RG's guitar cases to make it fit.

Then my drummer buddy did a handstand next to the open case and fell over on it. It blew one of the hinges off and left a permanent shoe skid across the top. Yeah, I still use the case.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

That's why I use straplocks. Easy on, easy off. Then I just throw the strap in the case's storage compartment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top