Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2016 10:29:31 PM EDT
LP Traditional plain top from Sweetwater.  

Haven't bought a new axe in over 5 years and I've wanted one for a while.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:38:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I want to get one of those someday. Except for not having weight relief, they're the closest thing a guy can get to the '82 LP Standard I used to have, which was also a plain top.

And congrats!
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I got my 2013 traditional from Sweetwater.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I want to get one of those someday. Except for not having weight relief, they're the closest thing a guy can get to the '82 LP Standard I used to have, which was also a plain top.

And congrats!
View Quote

Thanks. The prices on new LPs have been climbing steadily every year. The 2017 model year guitars will be out soon and I'm sure there will be a price increase. Gibson is still reeling from the mess they made for themselves with the 2015 models.  

I like a nice top like anyone else but it really isn't a deal killer if it has a plain top. Playability and mojo. This one might not have either and I'll send it back. So who knows. But this is my last big purchase for a while. Since I've  been on a spending spree for guitar gear the last few months I have to tighten down the wallet.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#4]
My Trad Pro has a plain top, and I couldn't be happier with its sound.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#5]
My 2013 has a flame top. It most definitely has the LP mojo. I love playing it but it doesn't fit with the type of music I play now. I mostly bought it as an investment because I bought it at a stupid cheap price when Sweetwater had a blowout sale in late 2013 on Gibsons...I almost bought two and I wish now I would have.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:16:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My 2013 has a flame top. It most definitely has the LP mojo. I love playing it but it doesn't fit with the type of music I play now. I mostly bought it as an investment because I bought it at a stupid cheap price when Sweetwater had a blowout sale in late 2013 on Gibsons...I almost bought two and I wish now I would have.
View Quote

I remember that. I was tempted. This will be LP #3 for me and Ive been on a spree lately so for the near future, I'm done buying guitars. Unless something so good comes by that I can't turn it down.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

2013 was a really good year for Gibsons.
I bought a Goldtop Studio in that same closeout, was a great guitar.

Traded it off a year or so ago though... After I bought it I landed a 1976 Goldtop Deluxe for a song that is phenomenal and a lifetime keeper of a guitar. The 2013 just wasn't seeing the playtime it deserved... it became my 3rd Les Paul and least played.
Swapped it straight up for a 2015 'Murican Standard Shawbucker Strat that was basically NIB.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:40:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I've tried very hard to warm up to Fender necks, which should be natural given my proclivity for Ibanez Wizards and their shared 25.5" scale lengths. Even the fairly flat 12" radius on my MIM Tele Deluxe should be a good fit on paper. Nevertheless, that and the Strats I've messed with just don't move me. I'll probably go trade that at a modest loss for a used MIM Classic Player 50s strat at the local GC for one last whirl.

For some reason, I keep getting drawn back to Les Paul or Wizards. Somehow my Amazon gift card (but apparently not my account) got hacked today, and I narrowly avoided losing $800 to some schmuck buying GoPros. That's probably enough reason to transfer that balance into the safety of a Gibson LP Studio Faded T.

The only question now is, cherry, brown, or ebony? My trad pro is clownburst, but I could still be persuaded to go for a fireburst.

Though there is that Schecter Damien with a Sustainiac on Amazon for the same price...
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:50:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The only question now is, cherry, brown, or ebony? My trad pro is clownburst, but I could still be persuaded to go for a fireburst.

Though there is that Schecter Damien with a Sustainiac on Amazon for the same price...
View Quote

If you're going faded... the Ebony and Cherry both look pretty good.  The Walnut looks like the 1970's to me.

I have a faded flying V in Cherry and it's polished up under the forearm from playing.... it looks great.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#10]
It's been 3 days. Pics aren't loading.

Yeah, Sweetwater isn't always lightning fast on delivery. Plus, it's a Saturday, so we'll let you slide.

Hijacking a tiny bit again, the gold top studio 50s tribute just caught my eye. 490/498 + thicker neck vs BB Pro/thinner neck.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It's been 3 days. Pics aren't loading.

Yeah, Sweetwater isn't always lightning fast on delivery. Plus, it's a Saturday, so we'll let you slide.

Hijacking a tiny bit again, the gold top studio 50s tribute just caught my eye. 490/498 + thicker neck vs BB Pro/thinner neck.

View Quote

I really dig the chunky 59ish neck on a Gibson LP. My first one had the 60's slim and I never warmed up to it..
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:26:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I come from the other direction. My Wizards are silly thin, the 60s taper on my Trad Pro feels perfect, and my Tele Deluxe feels like a Louisville Slugger.  That's a big reason I lean to the Faded T's "59" profile over the thicker 50s. We'll see how that turns out when it arrives hopefully Wednesday from Chicago Music Exchange.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Any news?

I'll show you my NGD if you'll show me yours.

ETA: initial impressions: The "modern" weight relief makes it feel notably lighter than the Swiss cheese version., though officially stated weights are the same. It balances differently. Burstbucker Pros might not be the hottest in terms of resistance, but they sound surprisingly aggressive. I like it, even with the thicker neck, but it's definitely a different feel from my other LP.

ETA2: She wasn't around very long before I convinced her to lose some modesty and show her naughty bits. What do I spy there? Why, 4-conductor pickups, even though Gibson says the OEMs are 2-conductor. Love or hate PCBs, they do make wiring easier. I've wired a handful of guitars, and really appreciate the laziness enabled by plug & play. Time to start trolling eBay for a PCB that does coil splits, usually running about $30-40.

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 11:45:59 AM EDT
[#14]
</a>" />

Top grain is not visible here. iPhone pic and all.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#15]

That whole rig just oozes awesome.

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 7:21:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks man. It really sounds good. The amp is a 68 50w Plex clone with a PPIMV and effects loop. Killer tone. I am running a v3 OCD on 18v in front of it for a little more snarle though it has plenty of its own.

Gonna take a few hours to get the guitar tweaked to my likings set up-wise.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks man. It really sounds good. The amp is a 68 50w Plex clone with a PPIMV and effects loop. Killer tone. I am running a v3 OCD on 18v in front of it for a little more snarle though it has plenty of its own.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ceriatone amp?  I have one of their D-Style amps in the 20 watt OTS Mini lunchbox... been seriously pondering one of Nik's Plexi clones.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 7:53:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Ceriatone amp?  I have one of their D-Style amps in the 20 watt OTS Mini lunchbox... been seriously pondering one of Nik's Plexi clones.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rockitt Retro 50.
Ceriatone was on my short list though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top